Linux Ubuntu hijacking peripherals

I have installed Linux Ubuntu 11.04 alongside windows XP rev 3 as a dual boot,
I now cannot access any graphic peripheral ( Scanner x2, Camera= Cannon. Webcam = Genius) in XP.
The Ubuntu Forums do not respond to my question!
I rather like Ubuntu and would like to keep it but if no solution is found then I will have to scrap it.
Any thoughts?

What installation option did you choose? It can resize the existing disk itself, or use a empty partition, or even use a different physical disk.

Ubuntu should not affect any drivers in Windows, as the two are separate to one another.

Hijacking of Peripherals

Thank you so much for responding.

The only one response that I got from the Ubuntu Forum was the, somewhat, dismissive comment that Linux does not hijack Windows! However the proof of the pudding!

I installed Linux Ubuntu 11.04 distro from a live CD-ROM and during the installation it partitioned a separate, stand alone, USB Fijitsu 640 GB HD into which the program resides.

Immediately this was done I could no longer access my HP Scanner, Canon Scanner/Printer nor my Genius Web Cam except via Ubuntu (but not the Webcam at all).

I just don't know what to do. other than uninstall Ubuntu, which I wouldn't like to do.

I run
System;
MS Windows XP Professional
Service pack 3

Computer
Intel (R)
Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GH 960MB RAM

Strictly speaking, the installation and operation of Ubuntu should in no way affect the way Windows is running. There are exceptions, but the issue your experiencing is not a common one in my experience, and it is unlikely Linux is itself causing the issue, but more an action carried out prior to installing Linux.

Is the hard disk the same one containing Windows, and did you select the option to automatically resize? I appreciate you took the time to explain in your previous reply, but I'm not quite sure what your saying due to the wording - sorry for that, and for the having to answer a second time.

It sounds to me like the hard disk resizing has corrupted the drivers install data for the devices you're having problems with. Usually resizing disks works without any errors as well, but it does happen. Essentially data can be scattered all over a hard disk over time, and when the resize option is used, it has to relocate this data before being able to create and then write to the partition its creating. Sometimes during this process it can corrupt data on the disk.

I suggest that in windows you remove the software for the unfunctioning hardware, and then run chkdsk and defrag the hard disk, before then rebooting and installing the software again.

Strongly agree with Leeky; Ubuntu didn't do this but something done elsewhere may have unknown to you.

The devices you list are easily fixed in window - - reinstall the drivers.

FYI: the only thing shared on the physical disk between the two systems is the MBR
which as you know redirects to the partition in which to find the kernel to be loaded.

Hijacking of or /Non function of W Xp Peripherals

Once again a grateful thanks for your response.

At the time of installing Linux Ubuntu I had done the following,
1 An Avast Full virus Search C Drive & H Drive is clean
2 An uninstall of a number of unused/obsolete programs on C:Drive and H:Drive
3 A complete defrag of Drive C: and H:Drive
4 A "full" installation of Linux Ubuntu 11.04 on H Drive (My hardware would not allow for Unity)
5 H:Drive is a 640GB Fujitsu USB Hard Drive which is been used as a repository of C:drive backups and now is partitioned so as also to accommodate Ubuntu OS.
6 When the non functioning of the Scanners and Cameras using C:drive Windows XP Rev 3 Pro was apparent3i went to Canon with my Camera. They gave the Camera a clean bill of health and supplied me with the latest Software and Firmware installed...no change, Still cannot access camera from Windows.
7 I have two Webcams. Genius and Logitech. Nether will work at all now on the desktop. I can get a vague recognition from "Cheese" in Linux!
8 I have a Fujitsu Laptop running Win XP Pro Rev 3 and ALL the aforementioned peripherals work splendidly!!!!

What say you, Uninstall Ubuntu or....?

I'd do the following:

1. Backup your C drive to another disk or somewhere else so you can wipe your hard disk.
  2. Install Windows again from setup (at disk screen), leave free space for Linux.
  3. Once complete, reboot windows and jump into Ubuntu setup.
  4. Install Ubuntu to your free space (therefore it wont touch the existing, new partition).
  5. reboot into windows once complete, update, install software and test

For Linux, I recommend the following partitions as a minimum:

10GB for / (root)
15GB for /usr
25GB /home (if you plan to actually keep media in Linux, make this as big as you can - home is like my documents, but it also keeps your personal login settings as well)
1.5x your RAM for SWAP (So if you have 2GB RAM, use 3GB SWAP, etc)

Seriously uninstalling Ubuntu will not do anything (and i hate 11 btw). What happened is most likely a coincidence that happened when you rebooted to install Ubuntu.

I've been having problems with Ubuntu 11.04 myself. I can run the liveCD with no problem but once I install I can get into the GUI. SUCKS. Tried a bunch of different installs and some troubleshooting and no dice.

Back to previous version.

Back