Liquid Metal Cooling with NaK

Status
Not open for further replies.

red1776

This is rather fascinating...as far as CPU coolers go. Liquid metal CPU cooler.
imageview.php

You can read about it over at The Guru of 3D

http://www.guru3d.com/article/danamics-lmx-superleggera-review/1

opps, maybe Matthew can move this to "links from around the web" not sure why I put it here.

I remember seeing the prototype a while back and thought it was awesome (looks better than the production kit IMO) and couldn't wait to try it out....unfortunately the end result cooling wise doesn't really live up to the hype (or expense) so far. Not that I'm likely to test drive one anytime soon as they seem to be a Europe only release at this stage.

From the Danamics article:

but buyers will get a free Socket 1366 mounting bracket for free.

This message brought to you by the department of redundancy department....I guess its free.

It gets out performed by quite a few standard coolers at this point but it will be interesting to see if this becomes effective after a couple of generations, or if it ends up like TEC/Peltier in not being able to make them at a price point that made them mainstream....or needing 500w....or solve the condensation problem, you get the idea.

Can't say I recognize that last pic posted by dividebyzero....

But NaK has potential, however, at this current moment its just not performing as well as it should at its price point IMO.

Like Red said, lets wait a couple of generations and see....

IBM's Power7 chip. Its the big daddy of HPC chips -4 processors each with 4, 6 or 8 cores, so 32 cores (128 SMT threads) packed into the MCM "package" the IBM guy is holding. Part of the reason IBM seems adept as winning DARPA HPC contracts....the MCM, not the guy looking like he's had too much Ritalin.

Sounds like good cooling for the Power7...
Look at the number of pins on that thing....
Yeah OK, the "Power 7" CPU package is truly impressive! But, speaking as a photographer, there's a boatload of hype being generated by the ultra wide angle lens that was used to take the picture.

I mean really, it's not anywhere near as big as the guy's head, now is it?

Besides, the whole "liquid metal' thing makes me uneasy. Oh sure, it begins with a simple heat sink fan, but it might end with the next generation of "terminators"! :rolleyes:

Anyway, the IBM employee pictured puts me in mind of actor "Alan Tudyk", one of Joss Whedons crew. Actually, he puts mind in mind of Alan, but without the strong jaw line. Both have that, "I have my insanity under control, I think", intensity in their gaze. Here, see for yourself; http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3818756864/nm0876138

Its not the sheer size I'm commenting on. No matter how you hold/photograph/etc a socket 478 CPU, you won't make the number of pins increase....

As far as terminators are concerned, I think we should be more worried about Google coming out with something that'll take over all our unprotected WiFi....

Yeah OK, the "Power 7" CPU package is truly impressive! But, speaking as a photographer, there's a boatload of hype being generated by the ultra wide angle lens that was used to take the picture.

All hail Masakazu Yamagata!

Its not the sheer size I'm commenting on. No matter how you hold/photograph/etc a socket 478 CPU, you won't make the number of pins increase....
OK, that's a bit too literal. Although, back in the '70s, prismatic filters were quite the rage. I remember fondly the central figure surrounded with 5 others gradually rotating around the center point. It verily screamed, "wow, this was some good orange sunshine". Now one of them thar fancy lenses would sure make the pin count go up.

As far as terminators are concerned, I think we should be more worried about Google coming out with something that'll take over all our unprotected WiFi....
And you're saying they don't have this already....?

Now, picture Alan Tudyk. Then picture Alan on Crank...... (Or as IMDB calls it "picture 17 of 40) ; http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2571344384/nm0876138

Hmm... Prismatic lenses.... I'd buy one for my DSLR if you can direct me to a shop :D

OK, Here's "Cokin's" offering; http://www.adorama.com/CKA204.html

For things such as this, you might look up a catalog of Cokin's filter sets; http://www.cokin.fr/

If you're not familiar with "Adorama"; http://www.adorama.com/ it's one of the very best places for all things camera.

I'm guessing that some of the major filter manufacturers may still offer multi-prism lens, but in glass, depending upon size, they might be staggeringly expensive.

Oh dear, I just noticed the "Aus", that might be a problem. Although, Cokin's product should be available worldwide.

Multiple image effects should be rather easy to do in Photoshop. A bit more time consuming perhaps, but way easier on the wallet

Looks cheap enough :D

But its real interesting how the conversation varied from CPU coolers to links to photography... in 13 posts!

posting whiplash.....

That's nothin CMH, Cap and I went from "64 bit OS and 4gb of ram" to Eliza Dushku in two posts :rolleyes:

Is that a Pickle in your Pocket. or are You just Glad to See Me...(Mae West)

....[ ]... its real interesting how the conversation varied from CPU coolers to links to photography... in 13 posts!
Well let's see, you're there using Photoshop heavily, making multiple image pictures of Eliza Dushku on your Windows 7 64 bit computer with 4GBs of RAM, but the CPU starts to throttle back, because you've got the crappy stock Intel cooker, (I mean "cooler"). You shout out your window, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it"...! Following this untoward outburst, you hop on line and buy yourself one a' them thar, fancy schmantzy, liquid metal heat sink fans, like the one your buddy red showed you at Techspot.....! Problem solved...! You go back to your work on Eliza, enhancing her bosom ever so slightly upward and larger. Then it's copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paasteeee, NYEE HAWW....!!! In the midst of the chaos that surrounds you, your computer remains as cool as a cucumber. (Yep, that's innuendo, in case you were wondering).

So there, I flatly can't see where this thread has ventured off topic one iota.

You go back to your work on Eliza, enhancing her bosom ever so slightly upward and larger. Then it's copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paasteeee, NYEE

Eliza doesn't need any enhancement!... you keep your filthy photo-shopping ways off her mister!! :p

Jar Jar Binks Says.. Me Lika Giv Her a Good Copy an' Pastin'....!

Eliza doesn't need any enhancement!... you keep your filthy photo-shopping ways off her mister!! :p

Oh, I saw-whee massa Obi-Wan, me mussa been watchin' too much o' dat "dancin wif da stars". (Or as I like to call it, "Silicon Shootout")!

Nicole Scherzinger.....>>>

Brooke Burke.............>>>>

Pamela Anderson.......>>>>>>>

(My finger slipped on the "enhance key").

And yet my computer remains cool, for I've been thinking about buying a "liquid metal CPU heat sink fan".

And now I bid thee adieu, for I am off to visiteth my gaze upon the completely unenhanced "Alla"!

Silicone valley's

Oh, I saw-whee massa Obi-Wan, me mussa been watchin' too much o' dat "dancin wif da stars". (Or as I like to call it, "Silicon Shootout")!

Don't say like that!

Ah yes, The silicone shootout was big around our household. Up until that point Ms. Scherzinger was my Pavlov's response. However after watching whine, cry, and kvetch, It took some luster off the exotic looking beauty......and now your fixin to admonish,impugn, and castigate me for caring about what she says...right!? :p:haha:

I Wouldn't Miss it for the World.........

Castigation, impugning intellegence, admonition, and abuse, delivered within 30 minutes, or it's still free....!
Up until that point Ms. Scherzinger was my Pavlov's response. However after watching whine, cry, and kvetch, It took some luster off the exotic looking beauty..
Oh for God's sake, she's the lead singer of the *****cat dolls. WTF were you expecting when her lips started to move? All I heard was the rush of air into a vacuum.... Her "most quotable quote" is, "dontcha wish your girlfriend was hot like me"?
...[ ].....and now your fixin to admonish,impugn, and castigate me for caring about what she says...right!?
You could always turn down the sound, and put two paper bags over her chest. (While you're running benchmarks on your new liquid metal heat sink fan, of course).

All this of course with "White Rabbit" playing in your head:

"One bag makes you larger, no bags leaves you small, and the ones the grocer gives you, don't do anything at all", "Go ask Alice, if her shirt is still a small..."

This is rather fascinating...as far as CPU coolers go. Liquid metal CPU cooler.
imageview.php

You can read about it over at The Guru of 3D

http://www.guru3d.com/article/danamics-lmx-superleggera-review/1

opps, maybe Matthew can move this to "links from around the web" not sure why I put it here.

curious, what liquid metal are they using?
mercury is very toxic and absorbed through the skin
is that what they use?
if so id where good gloves during installation (not sure how latex gloves would do about static though)
don't rub your nose LOL
every time i get my hands dirty my nose itches must be psychosomatic or something:) LOL

Hi eyemfedup2
NaK' is an alloy of sodium and potassium. And you are right. Sodium is one of the deadliest elements on the planet. Danamics has claimed that they have made it next to impossible for it to escape the loop its in.

Granted, I have been very wary of this product, as personally I do not really like the idea of having some sort of liquid metal sitting next to me, actively pumped around.
this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back