Logitech's new MX Keys Mini is a wireless, space-saving keyboard that costs $100

Humza

Staff member
In brief: Logitech has launched a compact version of its popular MX Keys wireless keyboard for creators looking to save some space. It won’t save them money, though, as the Keys Mini comes in at the same $100 price tag as its bigger brother.

The MX Keys Mini wireless is a minimalist keyboard best suited to creators and users working on multiple platforms that are fine with paying a premium for a small, wireless keyboard or are already invested in Logitech's ecosystem.

As with the bigger MX Keys, the Mini version offers connectivity and switching with up to 3 devices at a time and support for Logitech’s Flow software for working seamlessly between macOS and Windows. Although it connects via Bluetooth and Logitech’s recently released Bolt USB receiver, the latter is an extra $15 purchase, which is disappointing given the $100 asking price for the MX Keys Mini.

The keyboard's dished keycaps use scissor-based switches and have labels for both macOS and Windows commands, though a Mac-only version is available in gray/white color combo. It's also compatible with other mainstream platforms like Linux, Android, iOS/iPadOS and Chrome OS.

Bearing a nearly identical design to the standard MX Keys, the portable version comes without a numpad, but adds an emoji, mute, and voice dictation on the top row function keys. The MX Keys Mini recharges via USB-C and offers the same 10-day battery life as the bigger version, which goes up to 5 months with the (white-only) backlight illumination turned off.

Other neat touches include ambient and hand proximity sensors, as well as battery and caps lock indicators. It's just a bit annoying that the smaller version doesn't come with a smaller price tag. The MX Keys Mini is now available to buy from Logitech's official website.

Permalink to story.

To add to the list of caveats: the logitech flow feature doesn't works most of the time if a machine is behind a VPN. And I know it *seems* like nitpicking to mention but if you think about the Venn diagram of people who would need a multi-device peripheral, the people who use it specifically for a work computer + a personal computer and the people who use the work computer at home right now during these times of telecommuting and "home office" jobs you'd be surprised of how much overlap you'd see: the one feature they push a lot, flow, doesn't works for most of the people that would want to use it.

So if you just have regular, manually controlled device switching this requires a new adapter that is *NOT* included for RF, it's still a membrane keyboard, has no back light and costs 100 USD. Whereas for 40 USD I was able to buy a wireless, mechanical keyboard that does both Bluetooth and RF and includes the receiver at no extra cost and has color back lighting.

So really you're paying logitech a premium for no good reason at all: 100 for a non-mechanical keyboard is kind of insulting.

Why won't they make bluetooth keyboards with lithium batteries and charging stations any more? I love my Logitech DiNovo but it is over 10 years old and the keys are getting a bit worn... was looking to buy a replacement and there aren't any!!!

Probably not the right place to ask this but can anyone recommend a decent wireless keyboard that’s suitable for gaming *and* work, in that it doesn’t cause your coworkers to beat you to death due to the noisy switches?

Probably not the right place to ask this but can anyone recommend a decent wireless keyboard that’s suitable for gaming *and* work, in that it doesn’t cause your coworkers to beat you to death due to the noisy switches?
The "regular" microsoft wireless keyboards are pretty decent - and pretty cheap. By "suitable for gaming", do you need more than just a full sized one with keypad?

The "regular" microsoft wireless keyboards are pretty decent - and pretty cheap. By "suitable for gaming", do you need more than just a full sized one with keypad?

No, just a simple full-sized keyboard + keypad with good ergonomics, fast response time and reliable connection. I can ducktape RGB Christmas lights to it myself to get the full Gamer effect.

im using the full size version of the MX keys and am going to "upgrade" to the mini IF the new USB reciever turns out to be latency free. I use it fairly regularly for gaming (over the USB connection). never noticed any latency or issues with key rollover.
Its the only keyboard I know of that 1.) is wireless with weeks/months battery life 2.) backlit when you need it 3.) usb-c rechargeable and 4.) not primarily bluetooth (supports two extra bluetooth connections, but the primary connection is USB).

They say in the article "10 day battery life", but I have auto backlighting turned on and it lasts at least 3-4 weeks in my experience.

No extra software is running on my PC either which is a bonus. Logitech software just gives you extra options.

im using the full size version of the MX keys and am going to "upgrade" to the mini IF the new USB reciever turns out to be latency free. I use it fairly regularly for gaming (over the USB connection). never noticed any latency or issues with key rollover.
Its the only keyboard I know of that 1.) is wireless with weeks/months battery life 2.) backlit when you need it 3.) usb-c rechargeable and 4.) not primarily bluetooth (supports two extra bluetooth connections, but the primary connection is USB).

They say in the article "10 day battery life", but I have auto backlighting turned on and it lasts at least 3-4 weeks in my experience.

No extra software is running on my PC either which is a bonus. Logitech software just gives you extra options.
I was looking at the full-sized MX Keys but it seems to be a chiclet style keyboard, which have never been great for gaming. I guess the concave design provides more of a tactile feedback?

I do have one (Brand is "Eyooso" but it's as generic as they come) that has both RF wireless mode (With very good latency) and bluetooth, but to switch between RF and Youtube you have to use a physical switch on the back so if I need multi device I just stay on bluetooth but when I'm done working I'm back at RF

It's a trade off sure, but it's mechanical so a hell of a lor better tradeoff than this MX mini one which is membrane

I was looking at the full-sized MX Keys but it seems to be a chiclet style keyboard, which have never been great for gaming. I guess the concave design provides more of a tactile feedback?
its not much of the old "membrane" feel as someone else mentioned. Its chicklet/scissor style. I think the tactile feedback is plenty acceptable for this style. It has a clearly defined actuation point, and is substantially more quiet than the vast, vast majority of mechanical keyboards (ive used many). It won't be as satisfying to use as a mechanical, but the trade offs are worth it IMO.These are super popular keyboards so you could visit any office/tech retailer nearby and they probably have one on display somewhere.

Another note on generic brand wireless keyboards. Logitech wireless is AES encrypted; you'd be lucky to find any mention of encryption on generic brands. Not a fan of unencrypted keystrokes being sent over the air.

its not much of the old "membrane" feel as someone else mentioned. Its chicklet/scissor style. I think the tactile feedback is plenty acceptable for this style. It has a clearly defined actuation point, and is substantially more quiet than the vast, vast majority of mechanical keyboards (ive used many). It won't be as satisfying to use as a mechanical, but the trade offs are worth it IMO.These are super popular keyboards so you could visit any office/tech retailer nearby and they probably have one on display somewhere.

Another note on generic brand wireless keyboards. Logitech wireless is AES encrypted; you'd be lucky to find any mention of encryption on generic brands. Not a fan of unencrypted keystrokes being sent over the air.
Awesome, thanks for the help!

Back