Looking for a freeware program to replace Wordpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

br6205

Unfortunate I don't have MS Word and Netscape composer is flawed.

I edit other people's stories (non paid) and am looking for an editor similar to Wordpad . However, one that that allows me to make my corrections by default.In red. Wordpad does not. That forces me to return to the menu and click on the color red. whenever I make nonsequential changes to the text I am working on.

Thank you, in advance, for your aid.

Baruch

Let's sort out what you think you don't have and what you want:

"freeware program to replace Wordpad.
Unfortunate I don't have MS Word and Netscape composer is flawed."

Microsoft Word and Wordpad are two entirely different programs. If you are using a Windows operating system, you DO have WordPad- it is bundled with the OS:

WordPad is a simple word processor that is included with almost all versions of Microsoft Windows from Windows 95 upwards. It is more advanced than Notepad, which is rather a basic text editor, but not at all as advanced as Microsoft Word. It originated in Windows 1.0x as Write.

To access: All Programs> Accessories> Wordpad.

I am well aware of the two programs

I stated in my posting that I have Wordpad and I use it.. I also said it has some glaring inadequacies ( no spell checker, in ability to make red my default color) which is why I requested aid in finding another (freewarre) program to replace it.

Bobbye said:
Microsoft Word and Wordpad are two entirely different programs

How are they entirely different programs? They're both word processing software. Wordpad is just nowhere near as feature rich as MS Word.

Go with what Zenosincks said, Open Office. It's great and it's free.

Free he said

jtickner1 said:
How are they entirely different programs? They're both word processing software. Wordpad is just nowhere near as feature rich as MS Word.

Go with what Zenosincks said, Open Office. It's great and it's free.

MS Word is very expensive with all the others included like,Powerpoint.
Browse the download sites for Word Processors.Do a google.

jtickner1 said:

Are you serious? They ARE entirely different programs. Its like comparing Paint to Photoshop.

I fully agree with you. JT.

However I have found, thanks to a previous poster, Abiword. Which "may" have the solution I am looking for: I edit other people's stories and want to be able to make my corrections in red, so I need to find a way to set the default text to red.: Any one familiar with the program who has the solution and is willing to share it will have my full gratitude.

Baruch

logonew.gif

"I am well aware of the two programs"

It wasn't entirely clear to me- that's why I replied as I did. No need to get testy. Obviously you are looking for a fully functioning word processing program and you are looking for a freebie for this and you will be limited.

Go with OpenOffice. Free is fine, but it is limiting.

wordpad is a TEXT editor. Not a word processor.

The difference is that a text editor contains little to no editing features.

I can't believe I got chewed out for saying MS Word and Wordpad are two entirely different programs! They are! You guys must have too much time on your hands today!

SNGX1275 said:
Are you serious? They ARE entirely different programs. Its like comparing Paint to Photoshop.

Yeah i know. But both programs have the same principles, to edit photo's. Paint = Free and well, crap. PS = Really good but also expensive.

Word and Worpad have the same principles as well, to word process. Break MS Word down to it's core function and you have Wordpad, So yeah, they are different but not entirely.

WordPad can only open pure text documents and documents saved in "'rtf" format.

Although I agree MS Word must have come from somewhere!
I suppose if you keep breaking it down further, you'll get Notepad, then Write :)

Notepad is the greatest piece of software ever. It should never be changed. It cannot be upgraded cause there is nothing wrong with it,

jtickner1 said:
Yeah i know. But both programs have the same principles, to edit photo's. Paint = Free and well, crap. PS = Really good but also expensive.

Word and Worpad have the same principles as well, to word process. Break MS Word down to it's core function and you have Wordpad, So yeah, they are different but not entirely.

By that logic, this little text box that I'm typing in inside Firefox is the same as notepad/wordpad/word.

SNGX1275 said:
By that logic, this little text box that I'm typing in inside Firefox is the same as notepad/wordpad/word.

Well in a sense yes, but this little text box is here for communication purposes, and yes it does process words. Word and MS W are for word processing, such as resume's, letters, documents etc etc and also can be used as a means of communication.

What i was trying to say was that they are not entirely different, the are programs built for the same purpose. You chose to pay, you get a lot more. Or you could get basically the same with OO

Firefox? SNGX did you go over to the darkside? I thought we shared the love of Opera together... :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back