Looking for Graphics card

By treetops
Apr 8, 2009
  1. From what I can tell from this chart, this is the best bang for your buck,737.html

ATI Radeon HD 3850 CF

Cf means crossfire right? So the cf benchmark is based off 2 of these cards right?

Im not expert im in the market for a video card, is there anything im missing?

I pretty much only game.
    I currently use 1680x1050, will have much higher res later.
    Looking to spend around 100$
    Windows Xp sp3
    Duo core
    2 gig ddr2 ram

Will get more specs after I install my new mobo I cant access the computer atm.
  2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,261   +92

3. CombinationZero

CombinationZero TS Rookie Posts: 31

I would also recommend the 4850. It's a card quite capable of playing your games and gives you room for upgrading your PC (Crossfire support).
  4. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,937   +157

Hmm how much better is 2x 3850 compared to the 1x 4850?

I was thinking when I upgrade again I can just buy 2x cheap cards again that combined are stronger then 1 good card.

Are those benchmarks I linked accurate at all?
  5. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 3,481   +44

If you're going with a higher resolution down the line neither of your choices will do much, maybe the 4850 can handle that.
  6. CombinationZero

CombinationZero TS Rookie Posts: 31

Yes two 3850's will be slightly better but not enough to worry about. the way I see it is if you buy the 4850, It's going to give you room for upgrading later on.
  7. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Since you say you will be using a screen with a res of 1920x1080 or higher, you would need two HD 4830s or a single HD 4870 to get playable framerates. The HD 4850 cannot handle that high a res on its own.
  8. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 1,937   +157

Good points, however it turns out I need a new cpu, im going to get a 220$ quad core. So I am probably not going to get a video card for another month.

Current video card is 7600 nvidia gt, runs wow on the highest settings at good frames. Its a pretty low demanding game, but its the only newish game I play. I want another card so I can sample all the newer games with ease. Ill definitely be playing starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when they come out. Ill probably go with the 4870.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.