Looking for new CPU and more RAM

ComputerGod91

I'm looking to buy new CPU and RAM as I'm sure mine are getting outdated and not up to par to run newer games at max settings. So if anyone would like to recommend good parts that are better then the ones I have please do as I suck at looking for parts. I'm hoping to be able to get good deals for Black Friday. My max I'm able to spend is about 300 but please try to keep the cost as low as possible.

My specs:
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
4gb of Corsair ram (want to boost it to 8)
720 watt PSU
HIS Radeon HD 5770 1gb memory
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.0ghz
Gigabyte Motherboard model EP45-UD3P

For upgrading, we would need to know which motherboard you have. Thats the only way we can find compatible parts for you.

However in my opinion it would be a waste of money to spend on a LGA775 system. Especially if you plan on spending for a CPU and Memory.

It might be in your best interest to get a Motherboard, CPU, and Memory combo. This would give you allot better performance for your money. Think of it this way, a quad core for LGA775 would cost more than an i3-2100 and 8GB of memory for the same processing performance.

If you want to run the new games at max settings you will need to upgrade your graphics card also... which will pretty much blow your budget.

I think a cheap i3 Sandybridge processor + motherboard + RAM combo plus whatever you can spend on a graphics card would be the way to go.

Ok I updated the OP with my motherboard. I knew you guys would say something about my GPU :/ I just got it like last year. Also you guys are going a bit over my head, what's a LGA775 system?

LGA775 Means there are 775 Pins on the motherboard. These pins touch designated points on the CPU and allow the 2 to communicate effectively.

Personally I believe a 1155-Pin motherboard goes well, as it can accomodate the new Sandy Bridge 2500/2600(K) CPUs, and also the slightly older (but still bloody good) i3-i5 CPUs.

For your bugdet, I would suggest maybe something like a i5 2310 with a GTX 550Ti graphics card, and a fairly cheap 1155 socket motherboard (i.e. Asus P8H61-M-LE-USB3). Can't give prices, as I'm in Australia, and our prices are different, but have a squizz and tell me what you think of them.

EDIT: Over here, the cost for those would be $340-370, depending on your supplier.

So basically I need to get a new motherboard to get a better CPU. Is having 8 gb of RAM not necessary? I'd like to hold off on getting a new GPU as I just got this one and it seems to be doing the job quiet well. I'm running Skyrim on ultra and the only issue I have is very rare FPS drop in areas like blizzards while I'm spell casting.

Sorry, I assumed you were looking for a new GPU aswell.

Stick with your GPU, just look at the motherboard.

Most 775 motherboards only support Dual cores as far as I know, and as many games now support multicore, it is well worth the investment. A motherboard generally supports the next 2-3 generations of processors, so you should be good for a long time with a 1155 socket.

Getting 8GB of ram will help, but not nearly as much as a new processor IMO. Honestly, it is cheap enough, that if you can justify it, get it.

Ok, well I'll be looking into get a new motherboard for the new processor. Only thing I'm worried about is how am I supposed to take out the old motherboard and then put the new one in. I'd probably end up leaving the old processor on it cause I have no other use for it. Also not to mention that the only thing I have experience doing inside my computer is replacing the GPU and PSU.

Take your new and old motherboard to a computer shop. Get the tech in there to show you how to replace a CPU/RAM etc on the old motherboard. Most likely he will be happy to, and hell, if you break the old CPU - who cares?

Do you think you can list a couple different motherboards that are equivalent to the one you already listed? I'm having a hard time find a place where I can buy that one.

Here is a list with the equivalant Australian Prices. You should be able to find one under $100 from here. Keep in mind these are all low end MBs.

MSI H61M-P21
AsRock H61DEL
G-B H61M-D2B3
AsRock H61M-VS
G-B H61M-S2PB3
Asus P8H61-M-LX (I use this one personally)
AsRock H61M-U3S3
Asus P8H61-M-LE-V3
Intel DH61WW
G-B H61M-USB3
Asus P8H61-M-LE-USB3
Asus P8H61V3
Intel DH61BE
Asus P8P67-LE-V3

It's really your decision. If you feel an upgrade is needed, and justified, then go for it. It's your PC and your build - make it yours. We can only provide support, and a little guidance. Your PC is your baby, so mate, if you want to upgrade - go for it.

Most 775 motherboards only support Dual cores as far as I know, and as many games now support multicore,
This simply isn't true. Most 775 boards do support quad core CPUs, and there were several LGA 775 quads released.

These 2 are the only ones Newegg is showing ATM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...600005851 600005654&IsNodeId=1&name=Yorkfield

Bear in mind, I'm not suggesting these are a good idea, just that your information isn't completely true.

Microcenter blew out a couple of Q8xxx series quads at around $100.00.

These are long gone, so granted, the point is moot. They are leading with LGA1155 CPUs now, so basically, it is Sandy Bridge or nothing..

For your edification @ Intel Q8xxx series; http://ark.intel.com/products/series/37244

And Q9xxx series: http://ark.intel.com/products/series/33902 (Ignore the "launched No". My best guess is that Intel doesn't bother updating these pages anymore).

Very true captain. I think you'd have to go back to the dim dark ages of 945/955X not to get Core 2 Quad compatibility.

And welcome back, I look forward to abetting you in future thread hijacking :)

MM, I remember owning a Q7series...something on my asus p5k3 deluxe. Psh, not upgrading for a long time now.

http://es.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-ep45-ud3p_10/specs/

Hi, i`m from argentina so apologise for me english! :D

Your machine its a good one, overall your Motherboad and Graphic card.

I think you can buy a Core 2 Quad for your system.
In memory 4 gb its well! i dont think the system speed up with more memory.

You have in the motherboard 2 Pci-e (slot for Vga card)
You can buy the same vga card to put together with the old one and plus the graphics of games!!
(Like to put 2 memories modules to work in Dual Channel)

A Windows format after a time is always a better to enhansed the PC

And another point to think is The Hard Drive, now are a bit expense but with more Buffer (32 mb / 64mb) the speed is increese!! or the new SSD drivers too!!!

If you don`t now how to ensamble machine go to a computer shop and shop there the components and make theme to put everithing into and probe the Pc in front of you!!

Well, I own an Intel i3 2120 Dual-Core CPU - clocked at 3.3Ghz, and it runs beautifully.

With Stock cooler, and a 3 fan setup in a full size ATX case on a M-ATX motherboard, and GTX 550 Ti GPU, it keeps to a cool 29C. It will run most games with ease, including RAGE with full settings (except AA down to 8x).

On multiple processes, it falls slightly, locking up a little when opening multiple webpages, or multiple windows - and dropping a game window down can be hard sometimes, but overall, it is a nifty little chip with plenty of boot to boot :)

Back