Looking for opinions on this priced custom PC

darkstuarez

Really not sure what sub to post this in. anywho.

My friend is offering me basically everything in his case. He pieced it together from newegg less than 6 months ago. I haven't kept up on the tech. the last few years so I'm coming here for opinion. Everything has 4+ ratings on newegg, just curious if this is an ok combo.

· $134- ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

· $167- Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

· $120- 1 x CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

· $31- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

· $87- 1 x Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

· $203- 1 x ASUS EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

· $37- 1 x SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner

COST TO ME ~ $780

SELL TO YOU $500

My intent is for general use and a lot of gaming. Light photo/video editing.

I'm not too concerned about products outdating. Just as long as I can play some of the latest and upcoming games(GW2/SC2) on bearable settings. Should I spend my $500 elsewhere?

Everything looks good, except perhaps the Mushkin memory, which is hardy but not as fast in actual performance as you might wish.
The prices are inflated over what I pay... The Samsung DVD drive is $19 to $20. Memory can be found $12... etc... but the final price is about right.

Personally, I would go with the 750w psu, because it gives you capacity to upgrade the GPU in future.

You also might want to consider upgrading the graphics card (gpu) to something higher specification if you intend on playing the latest games at high detail/resultions.

The power supply you have selected is excellent. It is NEVER about the power, but about the quality and the build. The Corsair will do everything you need. We sell 'em. We use 'em. We have never seen one fail or breakdown and dissapoint underload.
The only thing I would question is the price you are paying... look at other sites for a lower price.... Directron, Tiger, Newegg, Frys, PCMall, CRW... and many more periodically have they prices a great deal lower than what you post.

I wouldnt pay more than 400 dollars for that build. I understand its a custom build, but 500 is still a little high imo.

Not bad...
You don't mention anything about harddrive/OS. If it comes with windows 7 and a 500gb or 640gb, pretty good.

If you can buy the system without the video card, and buy a new GTX 460 and not go over $500 by too much, then do so; it will be well worth it IMHO.

Back