M2N32 + Gigabyte GV-NXT512H (GeForce 8600 GT) display problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelgadis85

I bought some hardware yesterday, and with the help of a friend we managed to build the computer in a few hours. Yet when I tried to power on the computer, I got no display, just the monitor's OSD telling 'No Signal'.

After taking the card off and reseating it in the PCI-Express x16 slot several times (I tried both slots in my motherboard), I'm coming to the conclusion that my card might be a goner...

While it doesn't cost that much to buy a new card (and I'll might use the warrant I have to get a new one), I'd like to consult the people here for some help beforehand.

What surprised us was the fact that there were no place for a power cord on the card so I just guess it gets its power from the motherboard.

*sigh* And here I thought I could finally say goodbye to the 10fps days of WoW... :(

And no, I can't think this is a power issue as I have a 690W power supply and currently there is only the graphics card and motherboard connected to the PSU.

Here are the product info links for my motherboard and graphics card:

Motherboard: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=82&l3=0&model=1207&modelmenu=1
Graphics card: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2604

EDIT: Solved a while ago, it was just me who forgot to tell the news, even though I promised to tell you firsthand when an update is necessary. I want to say I'm happy for all the help I got here :)

Your video card doesn't appear to require it's own 12v line, however make sure that you have the 8-pin 12v line going to the motherboard. If the rear I/O panel is to your left, and the PCI-E slots are closest to you laying horizontally, the 8-pin 12v line connector will be at the top left of your motherboard.

If you can, try it in another PC before calling it dead, it'll only frustrate you more in two weeks when you get the "new" and "working" card to find out you still have no display ;).

Attachments

• 12v Connector.PNG
    12v Connector.PNG
    54 KB · Views: 9
Umm... I really don't understand this 'forceware' but there are no drivers installed yet, if that was what you were asking about. If not, then please tell me where I could find this forceware version.

My friend thought that it might by my monitor (i'm using my old monitor, which is a 17" CRT bought in 2002...) He is going to borrow me his monitor for some testing once he comes home.

At this point I think it's for the best that I clarify myself.

This is a new computer for me (I'm going to give the old one to my dad) but I'll be keeping some components from the old computer (like the monitor, or not, if that is the case), the keyboard/mouse combination, the speakers and my two 300gb Maxtor IDE HDs.

What I bought new was the box (chassis or whatever it is called), an 500gb Western Digital SATA HD (it was on sale), the motherboard, the graphics driver, AMD Phenom 64 QuadCore processor (2.3GHz, boxed so it came with a cooler), a PSU (OCZ Game Steam 600W) and a CD/DVD-RW combo drive. I think that covers it all.

I don't believe it's any other component that is preventing me display but for this reason I asked here :)

Thank you all in advance.

Zenosincks said:
Your video card doesn't appear to require it's own 12v line, however make sure that you have the 8-pin 12v line going to the motherboard. If the rear I/O panel is to your left, and the PCI-E slots are closest to you laying horizontally, the 8-pin 12v line connector will be at the top left of your motherboard.

8-pin? There was a 4-pin cord installed (my friend was putting it up while I was doing another things. There is a cover of sorts in four of these pins, should I take it out?

P.S. If only I had my digital camera at hand I would take a pic for better understanding (I'm a Finnish, though I think my English skills are above average for us Finns)

But I'll have to try that, thanks ;)

Edit: Zenosincks, you're just too fast to reply for me to keep up :D

:p Your motherboard has an 8-pin 12v line connector according to the manual. Either borrow a PSU with one or buy an adapter. That might be your problem.

*Edit*

Your English is better than that of most native English speakers whom post here. :)

... It seems that I have been acting stupid for the last 16 or so hours...

You see, my PSU had these 4pin cords that clearly said PCI-E1 and PCI-E2 but I just didn't realize where to plug them.

Truth is, I also considered the option that it was just the graphics card not getting any power.

I'll try connecting the 12V cord (4pin) back where it was (the already open 4 pins) and the PCI-E1 (I think it stands for PCI-Express slot 1, since my PSU is dual-GPU ready) at the 4 pins next to it. I'll tell you if that helps.

Thank you very much already, you've been a great help :)

Err, I'm not too sure you want to connect the 6-pin PCI-E line to your motherboard (that's not what I was suggesting in-case you misunderstood). It won't fit with the 4-pin 12v connector anyway.

4 + 6 = 10

Your motherboard accepts an 8-pin 12v line.

Yeah, I noticed that too when I was about to plug it...

But my PSU doesn't have any 8-pin cable, there was a 4pin CPU1 cable there, and I have another (named CPU2). Should I insert those two or do I need to buy another PSU?

EDIT: As an alternative, I could try my old PSU since it seems to have this 8pin connector you speak of. Problem is, it's only 460W and I'm afraid it might not be able to supply enough power for the whole computer (especially if I'm going to upgrade, like get another graphics card)

I also forgot to mention that I bought 4 gigabytes of DDR2 RAM (800MHz) by A-Data.

No, you don't have to buy another PSU.

If you have two 4-pin connectors, attach them both and try to power on your system. If you've only got one, you'll need to buy an adapter.

I'm not saying it will definitely solve your problem, but considering the fact that your 8600GT doesn't require it's own power connection, I'm assuming it's just not getting enough power from your motherboard.

Zenosincks said:
No, you don't have to buy another PSU.

If you have two 4-pin connectors, attach them both and try to power on your system. If you've only got one, you'll need to buy an adapter.

I'm not saying it will definitely solve your problem, but considering the fact that your 8600GT doesn't require it's own power connection, I'm assuming it's just not getting enough power from your motherboard.

I'll try that, thanks :)

zelgadis85 said:
Yeah, I noticed that too when I was about to plug it...

But my PSU doesn't have any 8-pin cable, there was a 4pin CPU1 cable there, and I have another (named CPU2). Should I insert those two or do I need to buy another PSU?

EDIT: As an alternative, I could try my old PSU since it seems to have this 8pin connector you speak of. Problem is, it's only 460W and I'm afraid it might not be able to supply enough power for the whole computer (especially if I'm going to upgrade, like get another graphics card)

I also forgot to mention that I bought 4 gigabytes of DDR2 RAM (800MHz) by A-Data.

If your new PSU has two 4-pin connectors (which it might, they make them detachable), just connect the both of them to your motherboard.

If you want to use your old PSU, I'd be willing to bet that it's more than capable of powering your system.

Well, at least connecting the two 4pin connectors (CPU1 and CPU2) did not solve the problem...

From what I've read, the GeForce 8600 GT can consume up to almost 100W, and the same can be said from the CPU. I honestly have no idea how much a total of 3 hard drives and a CD/DVD combo drive can use, but if you're certain that I could go with my old PSU, then it's worth a try.

I guess there's no worry about my old computer (which I will give to my dad as soon as I get the new one running) will have an PSU that can supply far more power than it ever needs.

EDIT: I know it's very unlikely, but since I need to connect my display cable via a 'DVI-I to D-Sub' adapter, could it be that both of the ones that were supplied with the graphics card are somehow broken?

zelgadis85 said:
Well, at least connecting the two 4pin connectors (CPU1 and CPU2) did not solve the problem...

From what I've read, the GeForce 8600 GT can consume up to almost 100W, and the same can be said from the CPU. I honestly have no idea how much a total of 3 hard drives and a CD/DVD combo drive can use, but if you're certain that I could go with my old PSU, then it's worth a try.

I guess there's no worry about my old computer (which I will give to my dad as soon as I get the new one running) will have an PSU that can supply far more power than it ever needs.

The 8600GT isn't going to be consuming anything near 100W of power upon booting up. Unless your old PSU's 12v lines have ridiculously low Amps, I'd think it would be okay. That said, as long as you connected both of the 4-pin 12v lines to the motherboard properly, I doubt your old PSU is going to make any difference. Still worth a shot I guess if you've got the 10 minutes to kill.

Try your VPU in another PC if you can.

*Edit*

In this world, anything is possible, however, I would not bet on both being broken.

I'll try to convince my friend to "borrow" his computer once he comes home, but that won't be in another 2 hours (at best). Well, considering that if I wanted another graphics card, I had to order it by mail, which probably would take until next week anyway, so I'll stick to waiting.

Thank you very much for your help, and I hope that this gets worked out soon. :)

zelgadis85 said:
I'll try to convince my friend to "borrow" his computer once he comes home, but that won't be in another 2 hours (at best). Well, considering that if I wanted another graphics card, I had to order it by mail, which probably would take until next week anyway, so I'll stick to waiting.

Thank you very much for your help, and I hope that this gets worked out soon. :)

Good idea.

No problem at all, I hope it gets worked out soon too :).

After testing the card on my friend's computer, we found that the card was, indeed, working. For some reason though it doesn't work on my computer but it worked just fine on his.

I'm starting to think that my motherboard is the cause of this, although I know not a way to be certain. I'm thinking of going to my supplier (the store I bought the hardware from) tomorrow and ask for another motherboard.

Well, at least I have my warranty left and I know my card isn't broken (and that buying a new card wouldn't solve anything).

I'll keep you updated as things process.

EDIT: Tested with my old PSU (one that had a 8pin connector) but to no avail.

Welp I can't think of anything else that it'd be apart from the motherboard. It's worth trying to get that replaced.

Indeed, keep us updated :).

I've read through the manual a dozen times already (while it is in my nature not to read manuals before the very end, expensive things like this make an exception) and I'm 100% sure there is no problem with the connections.

While this doesn't prove much, I'll tell you what happens if I try to power up the system.

Once the power cord is connected (and the PSU is turned on) the green LED on the motherboard lights up. Before connecting the display cable to the 'DVI-I to D-Sub' adapter my monitor's OSD tells me 'No Connection'. Once I connect it to the adapter (note, not necessarily to the card yet) the message changes to 'No Signal'.

So I connect the display to the graphics card. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything would work out, I push the front power button. All of the connected fans start spinning but my display stays at it's current state, telling me it has no signal.

I keep the power on for around a minute, waiting for some beeps from the connected system speaker, but nothing is heard apart from the spinning fans.

This leads me to seriously believe I have a bad motherboard. I'll try buying a new one today after school. (I'd use my warrant but the darn paper is somewhere below the endless amounts of packages and I have no time left to search for it) I'll just mail (or personally deliver) the broken motherboard to them as I find that paper and demand my money back (no problem as I already have a new motherboard by then).

Hopefully the next time I post here will be on my new computer.

Thanks to all of you for helping me this far. You guys (and gals, too, maybe?) are simply the best :)

It's rare that I get to say something like this, but :O I hope your motherboard is defective. At least you'll have your issues worked out if it is.

Keep us posted :).

Of course I will. :)

I returned my motherboard to the store and they took it for some testing (normal procedure, you know) but sadly, they had no spare motherboards of the same model (or even similar ones) at hand, so I'll have to wait until the end of the next week for any updates. If they find it defective (I'm pretty sure they do), I'll get a new one sent to my house, and that will cost me nothing.

Because things are like this, I think I'll refrain from posting here for several days. Expect some news by next Thursday or Friday.

It's rather annoying having to wait like this, but, like my friend told me, life's like that. Oh well, at least I have my older computer to use until then (my father will most surely let me keep it until I have my new one running).

zelgadis85 said:
Of course I will. :)

I returned my motherboard to the store and they took it for some testing (normal procedure, you know) but sadly, they had no spare motherboards of the same model (or even similar ones) at hand, so I'll have to wait until the end of the next week for any updates. If they find it defective (I'm pretty sure they do), I'll get a new one sent to my house, and that will cost me nothing.

Because things are like this, I think I'll refrain from posting here for several days. Expect some news by next Thursday or Friday.

It's rather annoying having to wait like this, but, like my friend told me, life's like that. Oh well, at least I have my older computer to use until then (my father will most surely let me keep it until I have my new one running).

Things can always be better and yet they can always be worse :). Make the best of every situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back