Machine_check_exception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, basically a few weeks ago my psu blew taking my chipset fan with it. so i got a new corsair 400w psu and chipset fan, however my chipset fan is mounted to top of the old chipset heatsink with the fan removed (may be my problem).
After formatting I have been installing stuff and after some time it crashes and i get the dreaded blue screen with code:

0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80546df0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070f0f)

I've had a read around and it seems to be a hardware problem, wither something is overheating (maybe my chipset) or somehting else is bust (the old psu might have took that out also) but i dont really know how to determine where the problem is stemming from...

Heres my specs:

XP Pro SP3
AMD athlon 64 3400+ 2.4ghz
Asus K8N4-E deluxe - BIOS Phoenix v6.00PG
2gb ram
Nvidia GeForce 7800 GT

Thanks

UPDATE: It seems whenever I try to move a folder (5gb) from my other HD to this one with windows on it, that is 1 cause of this happening, ive literally had the computer on 5 minutes and its gone, yet before i was getting about an hour. I have installed maxblast 5 so there shouldnt be any issues with the size of my secondary hard drive.... RAM maybe?

Oh wait its back, it just went on a 3 - 5 minute freeze-out, its still not functioning properly though... :S

Hi Andy; your error is 0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

These are very difficult errors to work with (as attested to by the above definition) because it can be any piece of hardware you have. I have seen it due to cables, harddrives, RAM, NIC cards, etc., etc., etc. My first best suggestion is to do a series of standard diagnostics such running memtest on your RAM, check your system temperatures, run harddrive diagnostics, run check disk, etc.

By the way, I have an Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2.0 GHz running in my second rig and it is as rock solid today as when I first installed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back