TechSpot

Made in America: Lenovo opens manufacturing facility in Whitsett, North Carolina

By Rick
Jun 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Lenovo, the world's second largest PC company, hosted today a grand opening ceremony for the official opening of its 240,000-square-foot North Carolina production facility. The new production site serves as an example of a renewing interest in bringing high-tech manufacturing jobs...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Good to see them expanding.

3. When they open a plant in Detroit, or anywhere north of the Rust Belt for that matter, is when they will get a tip of that hat for progress. Otherwise, it's pretty much business as usual for another multinational corporation priming the US consumer pump.

4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,319   +709

Don't really see why the location makes a difference. What matters is how much their actually *doing* at these factories, and for now the answer is, "not much". None of the parts are domestically produced, and manufacturing is where the money is. Until THAT changes this is all window dressing and consumer relations. Certainly It makes sense to have a national service center in a country as large as the US, but having a small number of people slapping parts together is just PR.

5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,387   +106

Make sure everyone working at these plants are happy (get free counselling) and getting good wages! Otherwise quality control issues on systems will be effected. A happy worker means good products where as unhappy worker means product line issues.

6. psycros got this 100% correct; nothing but PR.

7. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,209   +424

It may be just PR for them... but don't forget about the 115 individuals who have a new source of income. Small time for the rest of us but they've gotta start somewhere. I'm more concerned about what Apple is doing for the US economy since they have so many sheep already.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

It's good for the American economy. I wish something like this would happen in my country (South Africa) but that's just not gonna happen (at least in my lifetime).

9. It's conflict. Quality means strict, which is equal to "stress" and "unhappy"