Major ISPs, recording industry unveil six-strike anti-piracy system

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

As accurately reported by CNET two weeks ago, several major US Web providers have effectively agreed to become the recording industry's personal Internet Stasi. Top ISPs, including Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Verizon will voluntarily collaborate with copyright groups such as the RIAA and MPAA to enforce a graduated response system intended to alert and eventually punish suspected copyright infringers.

Officially called the "Center for Copyright Information" (CCI), the organization is being established jointly by the film, music and television industries along with various ISPs. As part of The Center, ISPs will issue "Copyright Alerts" to notify alleged pirates of their unsavory behavior. Warnings may begin as a formal letter or email to inform accountholders of the unscrupulous activity (this has occurred for years, so it isn't anything new).

Failure to heed those warnings will initiate another tier of alerts as ISPs begin to nag suspected offenders with pop-ups or by redirecting specific pages. If the accountholder refuses to comply, ISPs will progress to a series of "Mitigation Measures," including bandwidth throttling, redirection to a landing page until the subscriber contacts the ISP (it's unclear if this will block access to all sites), or "other necessary measures."

Although this model is similar to France's three-strike system, it's not quite as harsh. France's HADOPI law requires ISPs to give alleged infringers two warnings about their conduct. The third time, they're blacklisted from all Internet providers, fined and face up to two years in prison. American ISPs will issue up to five alerts and the sixth step won't necessarily lead to the termination of your account or any legal repercussions.

"Consumers have a right to know if their broadband account is being used for illegal online content theft, or if their own online activity infringes on copyright rules...so that they can correct that activity," said James Assey, VP of the NTCA, an industry trade group. "We are confident that, once informed that content theft is taking place on their accounts, the great majority of broadband subscribers will take steps to stop it."

The problem with these systems is that you're essentially guilty until proven innocent -- and that's increasingly difficult to do if you actually are innocent. At least the old model generally required the recording industry to work through a (sometimes)-neutral legal mediator. Occasionally judges would dismiss requests to access your private data and ISPs were sometimes even reluctant to comply with such subpoenas.

Now ISPs are at the recording industry's disposal and the courts aren't involved. So what happens if you think you've been wrongly accused under the new system? You have to request an independent review, which will be performed by a "qualified, independent entity, separate from the Center for Copyright Information." As lovely as that sounds, the kicker here is that you have to pay a $35 "filing fee" to initiate the review.

Not only will this discourage individuals from contesting infringement accusations, but it will presumably help fund the CCI's operations (the cost of the framework is reportedly being split between the recording industry and ISPs). Naturally, you could always file a lawsuit, but that's a financial and logistical burden the average person simply won't commit to. We don't condone piracy, but this doesn't seem like the answer.

Permalink to story.

The obvious question is why are the ISP's willing to pony up and pay for half of the infrastructure it will take to implement these policies. Future consideration for content deals for the providers that play ball perhaps?

And once, as people have mentioned, the hardcore will start using more intensive measures in order to disguise their activity, the RIAA and ISPs will introduce measures in which they will start actually looking at your traffic. They'll complain that pirates are now disguising their activity so it means they will have to search everyone's data in order to find the real criminals.

And the irony is that anyone seriously engaged in piracy is already using a lot of these measures, so all they will end up catching is some people who torrent and seed the latest songs, and give them the smackdown. Equivalent to busting some low level street dealer, while the kingpin rolls by.

Mizzou said:
The obvious question is why are the ISP's willing to pony up and pay for half of the infrastructure it will take to implement these policies. Future consideration for content deals for the providers that play ball perhaps?
Well, since roughly 20% of the ISPs' bandwidth is used up by torrenters and most torrents are illegal, this will most definitely result in profit.

gwailo247 said:
And the irony is that anyone seriously engaged in piracy is already using a lot of these measures, so all they will end up catching is some people who torrent and seed the latest songs, and give them the smackdown. Equivalent to busting some low level street dealer, while the kingpin rolls by.
Pretty much what i was thinking

Guest said:
.. are you sure the US is the ' Land of the Free' ??

Well, let's keep in perspective we're talking about people who are doing something illegal, regardless of how we feel about the RIAA or piracy in general.

Yes, all and all we still have the freest country in the world, taking into account the huge heterogeneous population. I'm sure there will be some localized examples to the contrary, but you're usually dealing with either small or homogeneous populations, or both.

"Well, let's keep in perspective we're talking about people who are doing something illegal..."

No, we are talking about extrajudicial punishment which is simply illegal.

You can bet any smart ISP will only attempt to enforce this when conviction is guaranteed and absolutely worth ($) the effort.

Repeat after me.... "Class Action"

gwailo247 said:
"Yes, all and all we still have the freest country in the world...[sic]"

I learned that propaganda in the first grade, too. What makes you think it's true, other than the fact that you've had it drilled into your head a million times since you were 2 years old?

On second thought, maybe you're right. Right now there are millions of people free to look for jobs that don't exist, there are employers that are free not to consider the currently unemployed when hiring, there are banks that are free to foreclose on millions of homeowners who can't make their payments, and there are congressmen who are free to make proposals to effectively euthanize vast numbers of elderly be eliminating Medicare and pricing them out of the healthcare system, removing the safety net.

Not bad for the richest country in the world.

If that's what you call freedom, you can have it. Seems to me that Janis Joplin had it right. "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

I cannot stress enough the fact for any of you people who are with these ISP's that if there's a same price or even somewhat higher priced ISP alternative that does not enforce this six strike system then switch immediately and hit these bastards in pocket, because that's exactly where they want to hit you and make you pay what they want for the multitude of running series's, shows and movies that are basically audio/video junk that you watch once and forget. If they want to be taken seriously then offer this content at approximately 600% less then they are charging now.

Lol, anyone who uses torrents frequently on new releases deserve to be caught. Filehosting sites are the way to go because it isn't' as obvious as a torrent.

lol as with so many other "laws" in the US this screams for taking a huge dump on and laughing hard if someone try to enforce it on you.

May I suggest the nearest McDonald or Dunkin Wifi, sure you are gonna get fat but isnt it worth it?

All this will do is catch a few non computer savvy down loaders. Just use a proxy. Or take your lunch at a fast food place that has fast internet and download your content. If you squeeze a balloon it just pops out somewhere else.

I hope it fails miserably simply because if its a "success" then the ISP's where i live will join in, then I wont be able to gloat :(

There's an article on www.extremetech.com which deals on the same topic and also outlines some of the general procedures that the ISPs will follow once the system is in place. Based on the article that I read, this six-strike anti-piracy system is not as bad as it sounds and definitely much better than being dragged to court by the RIAA and the MPAA.

hello ...

sorry if i repeat myself here: "it has begun..." :p

still, with newer technologies now being put forward by ISPs, don't count on VPNs & whatever you think might spoof your ID on the net, unless you have the resources used by some high level hackers. Still there is no anonymity on the net, we tend to believe so because we keep hiding some facts.

this fight started long ago & most ISPs are going to go in pair with governments & big corporates, not to secure the web but sanction the wrongdoers.

it will soon look like a big open arena, with all the treasures placed in front of everyone, where you could admire (legal stream) & even enjoy, yet can't take away for then will commit an offence. The net will become an open system that will not prevent theft but severely sanction it.

today i don't see the reason about stealing music / movies or games, the work done by those artists / developers / creators are worth paying, even if sometimes look a bit expensive in the beginning but if you wait 3-6 months, there is always a price drop :p & music can be bought online track by track so no need to buy a full album & listen only to 1 song. movies are available quite soon on HD TV services or streaming & the price is right.

pirating will be a great risk, not worth it if you compare to legal alternative means & i believe in do it right the 1st time, don't do unto others what you don't want others do unto you & the harder the way to success, the most gratifying it is. when you need to buy something, you work out a budget, save a little or do some extra work & when you get it, you can be proud & show it off then enjoy it with clear conscious & no fear of legal issues.

new hardware for faster internet & better monitoring are being setup for the internet, like bringing the same vpn equipment to the public, getting involved with government & anti-piracy organisations, the ISPs seem to go against what we feel is our right by protecting the rights of others, the problem is, if we don't comply, the law will be amended & become harder & in the end we loose more (heard of a tax applied by some ISPs/governement over subscribers :S) ... so better stop when it's not too late than regret it later on ...

wishing us good luck for our big Internet adventure ...

cheers!

hello ...

sorry if i repeat myself here: "it has begun..." :p

still, with newer technologies now being put forward by ISPs, don't count on VPNs & whatever you think might spoof your ID on the net, unless you have the resources used by some high level hackers. Still there is no anonymity on the net, we tend to believe so because we keep hiding some facts.

this fight started long ago & most ISPs are going to go in pair with governments & big corporates, not to secure the web but sanction the wrongdoers.

it will soon look like a big open arena, with all the treasures placed in front of everyone, where you could admire (legal stream) & even enjoy, yet can't take away for then will commit an offence. The net will become an open system that will not prevent theft but severely sanction it.

today i don't see the reason about stealing music / movies or games, the work done by those artists / developers / creators are worth paying, even if sometimes look a bit expensive in the beginning but if you wait 3-6 months, there is always a price drop :p & music can be bought online track by track so no need to buy a full album & listen only to 1 song. movies are available quite soon on HD TV services or streaming & the price is right.

pirating will be a great risk, not worth it if you compare to legal alternative means & i believe in do it right the 1st time, don't do unto others what you don't want others do unto you & the harder the way to success, the most gratifying it is. when you need to buy something, you work out a budget, save a little or do some extra work & when you get it, you can be proud & show it off then enjoy it with clear conscious & no fear of legal issues.

new hardware for faster internet & better monitoring are being setup for the internet, like bringing the same vpn equipment to the public, getting involved with government & anti-piracy organisations, the ISPs seem to go against what we feel is our right by protecting the rights of others, the problem is, if we don't comply, the law will be amended & become harder & in the end we loose more (heard of a tax applied by some ISPs/governement over subscribers :S) ... so better stop when it's not too late than regret it later on ...

wishing us good luck for our big Internet adventure ...

cheers!

I don't want to wait 3-6 month to buy some crap cheaper from the sale bin.

I would want to see the look on your face if you bought Duke Nukem Forever for the full price.

Back