TechSpot

Making A Internal HD, External - Good/Bad Idea?

By mstpaintball
Jul 14, 2004
  1. I'm looking to getting a internal HD (www.tigerdirect.com has/had some good prices not sure if they still do), but I want to make it external.
    I think I've seen some small "case" like things on ebay and places that allow you to put a HD in them to so you can make them external. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

I'm not hurting for space just yet, I've got about 50gigs left on my 120gig HD, and probably a bunch of stuff I can delete or don't need anymore.
    Just got Comcast 3mbps hooked up, and well, not really sure how long 50gigs+ will last, and I don't want to fill the rest of my 50gigs totally up. Seems like there would probably be some advantages to having a external HD, mobility of storage (like move it from one PC to another), I guess less heat generated in the computer case, etc.

So is this a bad idea to take a internal HD, and make it external?

:grinthumb or :unch:

2. STK

STK TS Rookie Posts: 102

I dont think you need 1, 50 gigs should be enough unless you plan on downloading full games, and full movies.

3. STK

STK TS Rookie Posts: 102

If your going firewire, it does not make a big difference price wise, but if you are going USB 2.0 you can save up to $30. I have never done it, so I do not know the difficulty level, or if you get maximum performance.

4. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

If I m not mistaken, those small cases carry a 2.5" HDD which is basically the same thing as a laptop HDD. A couple of my friends in uni have them.

Well I doubt adding another internal one will generate a large amount of heat. If you're the kind of person who needs to carry a large amount of data around then go for an external one. Otherwise internal should be adequate.

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

If you want to place in internal (3.5" HD) outside in its own box, have a look at the Travelbox Dorri
    www.globalwin.com.tw

Aluminium case with its own powersupply, connects via USB2. With built-in DES encryption facility

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.