TechSpot

Making A Internal HD, External - Good/Bad Idea?

By mstpaintball
Jul 14, 2004
  1. I'm looking to getting a internal HD (www.tigerdirect.com has/had some good prices not sure if they still do), but I want to make it external.
    I think I've seen some small "case" like things on ebay and places that allow you to put a HD in them to so you can make them external. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

I'm not hurting for space just yet, I've got about 50gigs left on my 120gig HD, and probably a bunch of stuff I can delete or don't need anymore.
    Just got Comcast 3mbps hooked up, and well, not really sure how long 50gigs+ will last, and I don't want to fill the rest of my 50gigs totally up. Seems like there would probably be some advantages to having a external HD, mobility of storage (like move it from one PC to another), I guess less heat generated in the computer case, etc.

So is this a bad idea to take a internal HD, and make it external?

:grinthumb or :unch:

2. STK

STK TS Rookie Posts: 138

I dont think you need 1, 50 gigs should be enough unless you plan on downloading full games, and full movies.

3. STK

STK TS Rookie Posts: 138

If your going firewire, it does not make a big difference price wise, but if you are going USB 2.0 you can save up to $30. I have never done it, so I do not know the difficulty level, or if you get maximum performance.

4. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

If I m not mistaken, those small cases carry a 2.5" HDD which is basically the same thing as a laptop HDD. A couple of my friends in uni have them.

Well I doubt adding another internal one will generate a large amount of heat. If you're the kind of person who needs to carry a large amount of data around then go for an external one. Otherwise internal should be adequate.

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

If you want to place in internal (3.5" HD) outside in its own box, have a look at the Travelbox Dorri
    www.globalwin.com.tw

Aluminium case with its own powersupply, connects via USB2. With built-in DES encryption facility

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.