Malaware redirecting Google links and shutting computer down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Since yesterday I seem to be having the following problems:
Most of the links that I try and follow from Google through Mozilla are taking me to other sites
My PC seems to shut itself and restart as well
Windows Firewall turns itself off
I've followed the steps in the guidelines and am attaching the logs in txt files.
Thanks for the help.Would be interested in knowing what sort of technical knowledge is required for this stuff (e.x programming languages).
Thanks,
Sid

Turn off System Restore and rerun the scans. You are running Symantec Norton Antivirus and you are infected. Remove Norton (this may not be easy) and install and run one of the free AVAST, Advir or AVG antivirus programs

I like Avast...It is easy to use, and I have had great success removing nasties from infected Limewire files and other nasty Trojans, as long as I remember to turn off System Restore because it copies infected restore points that are easily returned to "active duty" on a restart

I like Avast too, (I use it on my computers and as much as I can on computers I service/maintain) the only reason I recommended Avira is because it is also highly recommended on this site, and it's quicker to get 'up and running'
Both of them are indeed better than Norton or AVG...

It really is a matter of personal preference... Why anyone would pay $50 for a poor performing resource hog antivirus program like McAfee or Norton is beyond me

Thanks ,
So should I proceede by removing Norton and running the scans again as suggested , Can I instead use AVG seperately and get rid of the infection i.e not remove Norton.

Yes, by all means delete anything Symantec on your computer. You are here because Norton did not catch your systems infection and Norton slows down your system even when it is not infected. I would use AVAST or ADVIR antivirus. AVG has improved over the years, but Avast and Advir free handle infections a bit easier.

Remember to turn off System Restore

If the Windows firewall is turning off, you have a severe infection and your computer may be transmitting personal data to the internet. It also might be part of a "botnet". Something is turning the firewall off to "phone home".

It might be time to consider reformatting your HDD and doing a fresh install of Windows.

Here is a list of excuses for not wanting to, or not being able to do that;

A. "I don't have my Windows disc".

B. "Then I'd have to reinstall all my programs".

C. "I never back anything up, and all my photos and personal info are on the "C:/" drive

D. All of the above

This list has been compiled due to the fact I have the bizarre notion that I can read minds on Thursdays, and to save you some typing. Pick a number from A to D.

Oh here, read this : https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65943.html

And to answer another of your questions, "what's a programming language"?

Thanks guys,
How do I check if I've become part of a botnet, I've not been getting the windows message saying that my firewall has been turned off since I ran CCCleaner and Super Anti Spyware about an hour back.I do not use my computer for online banking/shopping or any other stuff that requires card details.Can I try using the Anti Virus that T Magic suggests before Reformatting options.Need your opinion .
Thanks

Sorry Captain Cranky,
I forgot to reply to the question "what Programming Languages" are, just wanted to know what you guys read up on and the technical language required to solve such problems.
Thanks

Sorry meant technical knowlwdge
There are actually places on the net that teach the subject,. "Geek U", springs to mind. After graduation you are asked to do "community service", so to speak, in their malware removal forums. The scope of knowledge with respect to running processes, symptoms, and removal solutions is extensive. Not an easy thing to jump right into. It's sort of "cut and paste" though, and skills in coding are not really required.

I don't actually know if you're at the point in this process at which I should be posting here. (see special rules above).

But for future reference, malware attacks many times in the Windows folder itself. This makes it a imperative practice (IMHO) to install a second HDD in your machine, and transfer data files to it, ASAP. AFTER they are scanned for malware, of course. That coupled with "retargeting" the my documents file away from "C:/", and purchasing an HDD imaging program such as "Acronis True Image", will make any future reformat and reinstalls as painless as possible. Set up this way, you can almost restore the machine on a whim.

If you aren't already doing so, I strongly suggest the you switch your web browser from Internet Explorer to Firefox, (or Opera)

I've not been getting the windows message saying that my firewall has been turned off since I ran CCCleaner and Super Anti Spyware about an hour back.I do not use my computer for online banking/shopping or any other stuff that requires card details.Can I try using the Anti Virus that T Magic suggests before Reformatting options.Need your opinion .
Thanks
Punch up "Windows Security Center" and check there to see if the firewall is in fact turned back on. If you can download, install, and run the malware programs suggested, Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware, HJT, and install a new AV program successfully, then your situation is not as dire as it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back