TechSpot

Malwarebytes update disables thousands of machines, fix released

By Matthew
Apr 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A botched software update by Malwarebytes disabled thousands of systems around the globe this week, according to a blog post penned by CEO Marcin Kleczynski. Around 3PM PST on Monday, April 15, the security vendor released a definitions patch that...

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,756   +96

Well I can understand these things happen, but we do have Model Office Lab so this should have been tested fully before they release any update to the public. Hopefully this won't cause too much of a panic or damage users file systems.

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

Good I barely use this software.

4. Let the caring commence.

5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

Yea.. how did this sneak by them? Do they NOT use windows? lol

6. After updating, I even cannot reboot in safe mode, what should I do now???

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

So then, this isn't going to turn into one of those threads where people say, "I run Avast and Malwarebytes Free and I've never had a bit of trouble"?

Does the free passive version hose your machine, or do you have to pay for this extra service?

8. Kunming

Kunming TS Rookie Posts: 43

At least they were very swift at sorting things out, informing
    the community and providing a fix. That's already miles ahead than
    what most others firm would've done I think.

9. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,724   +63

Iv used the free version for about 5 years and I'v never had trouble. My auto updates are off and I do not think you can even get automatic updates with the free version. Great product hope this doesn't turn anyone off to it.

10. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Enthusiast Posts: 198   +28

Malawarebytes I forgive you.

11. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +330

Sophos released a dodgy updated about 5 months ago or so, the update identified every auto updater (including its own) as a virus and removing them automatically. That was a nightmare.

I don't understand how these companies can release such, system breaking, updates? Surely they must be tested in some way before uploaded to the update servers?

12. gamoniac

gamoniac TS Enthusiast Posts: 242   +55

Good, sincere apologies are always welcomed. Great software, great company.

13. Mohankr.vish

Mohankr.vish TS Rookie

14. Thank you malwarebytes, apology accepted :), continue.

15. Still the best protection company although this is a huge black eye for them..

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.