Man has chips implanted into his hands for storing data, home access, and opening a Tesla

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! Several of today's automotive companies are abandoning traditional physical keys that access and start vehicles in favor of apps and NFC tech. That's good news for anyone worried about losing their keys, but what if you've left your smartphone somewhere? That's when a key chip implanted into your hand would be helpful.

Tesla owner Brandon Dalaly is a fan of biomodification. He has a chip implanted in his left hand that's used to unlock his home and also store information such as his portfolio, contact card, medical information, Covid vaccination card, and similar items, writes Teslarati.

Dalaly recently added to his collection with a larger implant in his other hand: the VivoKey Apex, a contactless NFC secure element chip that enables secure transactions and java card applets. Dalaly explains that he's in a beta group of around 100 people using them, and that the company behind the $300 component has an app store where users can wirelessly install the applications onto their embedded chips. The first one he downloaded was a Tesla key card.

"[T]hat was the first app I installed on it because I have a Tesla, and now I use that as my key when my Bluetooth key fails or I don't have my key card. You just use your hand," Dalaly said.

The chips are coated in biocompatible substances such as biopolymer and bioglass, allowing them to be encapsulated by the body's tissue once implanted. He had the VivoKey Apex chip placed into his hand by a professional piercer for $100. The process, which you can see in the video above (warning: it's slightly graphic), is similar to how vets chip dogs.

These implants often raise concerns about their susceptibility to being hacked or used accidentally. But Dalaly says that, like phone NFC tech, such scenarios are unlikely and usually only possible when a person or machine is almost touching his hand.

Non-medical body implants remain a controversial area. There are plenty of negative Twitter replies to Dalaly's post about his mods, especially from people who have medical devices implanted through necessity and not by choice. He's not the first person to get a Tesla key chip implanted into his hand, either; several owners have been engaging in this strange practice for a few years now.

Permalink to story.

That is so stupid. Easy way to steal everything the man owns. No need to find keys, no need to get a PIN for his phone, no need to scan a phone to his face. Just a quick chop with the axe and it's vacation time.

These younger generation adults simply don't see beyond what is convenient. Over all, the majority of people don't think about reprocussions. THINK people THINK.

I couldn't watch that youtube video, what's the deal with that guy and all those weird body mutations. Looks like straight out of MI16 gang.

That is so stupid. Easy way to steal everything the man owns. No need to find keys, no need to get a PIN for his phone, no need to scan a phone to his face. Just a quick chop with the axe and it's vacation time.

These younger generation adults simply don't see beyond what is convenient. Over all, the majority of people don't think about reprocussions. THINK people THINK.

I couldn't watch that youtube video, what's the deal with that guy and all those weird body mutations. Looks like straight out of MI16 gang.
What a bizarre take. He shouldn't do it because someone can impersonate him if they chop off his hand?

Theoretically speaking, this greatly increases physical security. His eyes are always within 3 feet of his hand and he can also feel everything going on in his hand (unless of course a psycho with an axe comes into play, you got everyone beat there). People almost never take legal risks unless they won't get caught, so theoretically this is better than having all credentials on your phone. Not to mention that Teslas also support PIN to Drive, which allows you to require a PIN in an unlocked car to drive off with it.

I would agree with the very last part of your comment. I'd be very careful about doing body mutations (even dyeing my hair, getting tattoos, or piercings), but you'd never catch me doing a bodily implant unless it was absolutely necessary. So yeah this is weird, but this is also a free country.

What a bizarre take. He shouldn't do it because someone can impersonate him if they chop off his hand?

Theoretically speaking, this greatly increases physical security. His eyes are always within 3 feet of his hand and he can also feel everything going on in his hand (unless of course a psycho with an axe comes into play, you got everyone beat there). People almost never take legal risks unless they won't get caught, so theoretically this is better than having all credentials on your phone. Not to mention that Teslas also support PIN to Drive, which allows you to require a PIN in an unlocked car to drive off with it.

I would agree with the very last part of your comment. I'd be very careful about doing body mutations (even dyeing my hair, getting tattoos, or piercings), but you'd never catch me doing a bodily implant unless it was absolutely necessary. So yeah this is weird, but this is also a free country.
I agree unlikely to loose his hand but could someone do an RFID attack or something just make a handrail or something that scans everything that touches it

THIS is where it starts. Let's put a chip in your hand that will "do everything". It's tech, it's hip, it's trendy...like tattoos, body "modifications" (piercings). Then in a years, the government will have NFC readers everywhere that can track you and it will be MANDATORY.

https://summit.news/2022/08/22/worl...onal-reasons-for-children-to-be-microchipped/

“They are accessories and are even considered a fashion item. Likewise, implants will evolve into a commodity,” writes scientist Kathleen Philips, suggesting that mainstream culture and influencers will be tapped to promote implantable chips as a trendy status symbol.

If you believe in God / Bible or not....People should read Revelations

That is what I was thinking. A whole lot of people are gonna be in for a real nasty constant burning sensation when some sort of malfunction or external infection kicks in. Am no bible or conspiracy nut and am all on the side of the likes of Bill Gates and Elon Musk but I do believe the bible makes for a great guide post as many books do on the behavorial folly and blind greed of man who always ends up with some of the worst outcomes with the best intentions in mind that over time develop into an addiction for riches and power.

THIS is where it starts. Let's put a chip in your hand that will "do everything". It's tech, it's hip, it's trendy...like tattoos, body "modifications" (piercings). Then in a years, the government will have NFC readers everywhere that can track you and it will be MANDATORY.

https://summit.news/2022/08/22/worl...onal-reasons-for-children-to-be-microchipped/

“They are accessories and are even considered a fashion item. Likewise, implants will evolve into a commodity,” writes scientist Kathleen Philips, suggesting that mainstream culture and influencers will be tapped to promote implantable chips as a trendy status symbol.
And people will call you a conspiracy theorist for pointing out lost freedoms or abused powers, as their entire life gets dictated by some non elected apointee with an axe to grind.

These younger generation adults simply don't see beyond what is convenient.
I went shopping for a new refrigerator with my wife at one of the big-box stores this past Saturday. I saw a WiFi connected stove that was billing that it could be controlled by an App. I was thinking "what on Earth drives people to buy this sort of unnecessary crap - besides those who are clueless about cooking" and the only thing that I could come up with was "convenience". It seems like US culture, and perhaps other cultures, too, have become one of convenience where the only thing that matters is "does it bring my life more convenience" and if it does not, then its crap and does not sell.

Let that d-bag do what he wants to his own body, doesn't bother me, if enough people start getting these thing someone will come up with a way to steal the data and should quickly put an end to this practice. Then they'll all either have to have the implant removed or wear RFID blocking gloves anytime they go out in public.

They don't even have to chop their hand off. There was a guy who proved you could pull the RFID information off cards without people knowing. One of Ridge wallet's selling features is blocking that ability.

The 2000s have called. They want their news ("Man has chip implanted in his hand to open stuff") back.

They don't even have to chop their hand off. There was a guy who proved you could pull the RFID information off cards without people knowing. One of Ridge wallet's selling features is blocking that ability.
You know, forgot about that. Even I have an RF blocking wallet. You just have to be near the chip to read it.

Back