TechSpot

Mandatory Windows 8.1 Update failing for many

By Shawn Knight
Apr 11, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Windows 8.1 Update has been available to download for a couple of days now but the installation process has been anything but smooth for many. Hundreds of posts have piled up on Microsoft's Answers forum regarding a myriad of errors...

Read more

2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 962   +205

That sucks for those affected, but it worked for me on my tablet, desktop and server.

3. Worked fine for me on my tablet and desktop (ARM and x86_64).

I thought the problem was only for enterprises when deploying via WSUS servers.

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Eh, it seems like a very buggy update. This is rare for MS.

5. ajm123

ajm123 TS Rookie

I had no problem with it on my laptop.

6. No problem here on an Acer laptop. Even forgot to uninstall "classic shell" before updating. BTW they worked like a charm together.

7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Smooth install on desktop (Z77 chipset/x64 OS).

8. Mr Balmer please come back.

9. Worked fine for me. Downloaded and installed overnight without an issue.

10. Smooooooooooooooooth........

11. Installation went fine on my Dell laptop.

12. Everything good here, except for the lack of the start menu.

13. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 858   +339

I would install it but I don't want to upgrade but install a clean version and since I have Windows 7 now, I would have to reinstall everything. This update won't bring back start menu right?

14. Went smooth for my friend and I.
    The only problem so far is that one of his clients PC wont find the update.

15. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

No problems here.

16. earthquake10

earthquake10 TS Rookie

The updates went smoothly for me at first, I.e., everything seemed fine, but I ended up loosing IE11 access. The Windows Community is filled with dozens of the same problem. Unfortunately, now I'm stuck with Chrome until MS works this bug out.

17. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 567   +174

Didn't work for me, but I just did an in place upgrade using the newest official distribution. I got some error telling me system files had issues, which wasn't really the case. I did a sfc /scannow and didn't get any errors or issues.

18. Mike Steele

Mike Steele TS Enthusiast Posts: 37   +6

Mine blue screened my tablet. a repair/restart completed the install and worked fine after that

19. The MS update failed for my HP laptop on the first try. The update was downloaded, installed, then the computer needed to be restarted. I restarted the laptop and during the bootup process where is says "Update in Progress, Do Not Turn Off the Computer.." it failed at about 75% completed. Then it immediately un-did all the changes on its own and rebooted again. It booted back into Win8.1.<no update applied> Checked Windows Update and it showed no updates. Clicked 'Check for Updates" and the 'Win8.1 Update' showed up again.
    I tried the install one more time and it finally worked. The update was applied without issues the second time around.

20. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

Mine worked perfectly on a 5 year old computer. Like how it goes right to desktop instead of the metro/tile screen. Writing this on the updated windows 8.1. Have had trouble with 2 vista updates tho. They download but there is no progress on the update; always stays at update 1. The same thing happens with my songbird player when trying to play a song. The progress bar stays at the left and never plays after some windows update. Disableing the addons caused it to work, luckily.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  21. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,191   +590

Worked perfectly fine on both my devices...

22. spectrenad

spectrenad TS Rookie Posts: 97   +18

Started the update on mine before leaving for the weekend, hope I'll be able to boot up when I'll be back monday.

23. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 647   +227

Are you crazy? Balmer should be in prison for releasing Windows 8.

Route44, SirGCal and EClyde like this.
  24. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Booster Posts: 131   +65

Mine froze but I just canceled the download and restarted and it worked fine.

Very nice update.

25. ArjunDhanak212

ArjunDhanak212 TS Member Posts: 23

I downloaded the file the day the update was released (courtesy TS) but that day it wouldn't work no matter how many times I'd start the installation. Lucky for me, it worked today - right now to be precise

26. ArjunDhanak212

ArjunDhanak212 TS Member Posts: 23

Why do you think so?