TechSpot

Mandrake won't start!!

By Fa1liure
Mar 19, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I intalled mandrake linux 8.1 on my old computer, everything installed right, and I rebooted.
    I am taken to the startup screen, then I am taken to the login screen, with a dos-like picture of a penguin. within 4 secs. the screen goes black and all I see is a mouse cursor. and nothing happends.

anyone can help me on this?

the computer its installed on is

AMD K6 400
    Compaq-made mobo
    ATI Radeon 32mb pci
    220mb of ram
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Anything else we might need to know ?

Is Linux the only OS running on it ? Any Dual Boot with Win98/2K/XP ?
  3. lokem

lokem Newcomer, in training Posts: 773

When the screen goes blank, did it go into X windows or did it stay in the DOS like screen?
  4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I think it's attempting to go into X Graphical mode but something keeps hanging. When you install it, after configuring X, it asks you if you want to launch the X server automatically, is there a way to stop it from doing so. Even when you press CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE, it goes back to the BASH prompt & then restarts the X server again.
  5. lokem

lokem Newcomer, in training Posts: 773

In the case that you're stucked in starting X, try pressing:

ALT Fx

That should kick you to the next terminal screen available. If that doesn't work try:

CTRL ALT Fx

Can't remember exactly which one is the combo. Where x can be from 2-6.

Once you're successful, you can either:

1. Edit the /etc/inittab file and make the default runlevel to 3 so that it'll boot to the text mode

2. Run xf86config (there should be a better config tool now I think) and reconfigure X again.

Hope that helps.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.