Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut to address controversial finale, will be free

Rick

Staff

The controversy regarding Mass Effect 3's ending may be drawing to a close as Bioware steps up to please disappointed fans. Last month, the company had announced it would address the concerns of fans through a set of "game content initiatives". Bioware has now confirmed those initiatives will arrive in the form of a DLC pack billed as Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut. 

The game studio adds that the content pack will be completely free and that it will available this summer. An exact release date has yet to be determined.

ME3:EC promises to give players more insight and additional context into the final days of Commander Shepard's journey. Bioware says it will be expanding upon the existing endings but will not create new or alternate finales, holding firmly to its original artistic vision. Bioware makes it clear that no further DLC is planned for the ending, beyond Extended Cut.

Once again, the game studio stressed that ME3 received unusually superb critical reviews. What they leave out, of course, is the disparity between ratings given by critics and ratings given by players. On Metacritic, the game maintains a player score of 3.8/10 but hits 88% with critics -- even higher for console versions of the game.

Although Bioware continues to stress how well-received ME3 was with critics, which seems like a backhanded way of belittling critical fans (ie. how dare you criticize our nearly perfect game), the game developer deserves a round of applause for taking its customers' input  seriously and listening to their concerns. Kudos, Bioware.

Permalink to story.

Extending the BS plot-hole ridden ending?
Tell you what Bioware, you get rid of that annoying god-kid and extend it from there, I will respect you more...

"What they leave out, of course, is the disparity between ratings given by critics and ratings given by players. On Metacritic, the game maintains a player score of 3.8/10 but hits 88% with critics -- even higher for console versions of the game."

EA can pay the critics off, the players, not so much. :)

Guest said:
"What they leave out, of course, is the disparity between ratings given by critics and ratings given by players. On Metacritic, the game maintains a player score of 3.8/10 but hits 88% with critics -- even higher for console versions of the game."

EA can pay the critics off, the players, not so much. :)

SO SAY WE ALL.

So..their sticking with the broken ending, eh? Nice knowing you, Bioware..be sure to make that grave your digging for yourself a nice comfortable one.

"holding firmly to its original artistic vision"

Dear Bioware, you're digging your own "artistic" grave. Oh, scratch that, already did...

Way to ruin a wonderful franchise (and STILL) trying to shove that horrible ending down our throats, even after we (fans) complained about all the bs.

if they wanted a game with there "Artisitic" ending. they should never have made a game where players have so much freedom and choice. and tell us we build our Shepards legacy.

*spoilers* for the games but Geth left us alone till reapers got involved. eventualy Geth are peaceful. so an ending where its machines kill all life so machines wont kill all life just ruins years of hard work on Bioware's half and years of dedications from its players. from day one we have been told its our Shepard. then the last 10 minutes our Shepard is taken from us and replaced with one Shepard for all. my eyes the end just contradicts everything and forces players down a chosen path no matter there previous choices. As before if this is Bioware's art they shouldn't have given player freedom of choice. in a way it makes us all part of the art. we each mold it into our own adventure. .. so much more i could say. but this will do for now.

So they're going to add on more suck to what already sucks instead of fixing what sucked. This is the last bioware game I buy. If I wanted a shitty ending I'd have asked my little 5th grader sister to write me one.

It is OK, I guess as gamer....well, me, as an avid gamer, I have learned my lesson.
Buy a game till the price drops...never at the asking price, but when it drops at least to $20.......maybe…..
I will respect the artistic view of a toy…..don’t understand the concept in a “game” ….because,…..a video game…is a toy………..

If a "trilogy" comes in any way, I'll wait till see how exactly it evolves…meaning….till the end comes to the market…..I want to see results!

The "your decisions" matter...was a great marketing idea, but too good to be true, at the end, it was an impossible task for the creators….

So…..it is much better not to get so involved……just wait for results.

I like Dragon Age, even the Origins and 2 as a matter of fact, but if DA3 comes ...I'll wait for it to drop the price...or buy it used.....there is no need to buy any game as brand new....
So, my personal lesson, though the hard way, is to be a patient and cheap consumer.

Would I have bought ME3, knowing the end?
Yes……. But I would have waited for the price to come down, or maybe buy it used…

Bioware you suck. I can't understand why you believe ***** critics, most who know nothing about the series, over tried and true fans. I'm never going to buy anything from you or EA ever again, and I'll make sure none of my friends or family do either which won't take much because of how many other times you burned them.

I also find the fact you think you need to explain the ending to us "stupid fans" that didn't like the ending because we supposedly didn't understand it, insulting. I understood your sucky ending all too well, as did many others. There's no redeeming to your blend of "The Matrix", and "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" copy and paste ending. That little glow worm in no way belongs in the series.

I also find offense that ***, Casey Hudson thinks he shits a gold turd. Screw him and screw you all, I'm going to make effigies of all of you, then I'm going to put them in my blender.

Sincerely,

Crazy

once again, the big whiny babies of the world get their way.. and it's not going to make a difference.. just watching these you tube.. rants.. disgusts me. I put my life on the line to defend wastes of life like there's douche bags? not hardly.

didnt realize people cared so much about the future of game chars. that a company would be pressured into makeing an expansion to explain.. lol

Guest said:
Bioware you suck. I can't understand why you believe ***** critics, most who know nothing about the series, over tried and true fans. I'm never going to buy anything from you or EA ever again, and I'll make sure none of my friends or family do either which won't take much because of how many other times you burned them.

I also find the fact you think you need to explain the ending to us "stupid fans" that didn't like the ending because we supposedly didn't understand it, insulting. I understood your sucky ending all too well, as did many others. There's no redeeming to your blend of "The Matrix", and "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" copy and paste ending. That little glow worm in no way belongs in the series.

I also find offense that ***, Casey Hudson thinks he shits a gold turd. Screw him and screw you all, I'm going to make effigies of all of you, then I'm going to put them in my blender.

Sincerely,

Crazy
:eek: umad lol

I beg to differ. I thought the game was incredible and the ending was really good. Its whole story can even topple good sci-fi movies. What users gave this game a bad rating really are a bunch of ******.

Guest said:
I beg to differ. I thought the game was incredible and the ending was really good. Its whole story can even topple good sci-fi movies. What users gave this game a bad rating really are a bunch of ******.

What part of the ending made sense?

ME history sucks =D, nothing more to say and its the rating from the only part that matters, consumers.

Tell me one movie where it gets better with each part?

Rocky series for example or Jaws i don't see what everyone was expecting when EA milked the cash cow that is Mass Effect.

why is it hard to add more endings on top of the one they want in the game? it adds more replay value and enjoyment, happy players = more money to the company. i personally think their ending was nice.. assuming that i understood that the hero was indeed indoctrinated. but still even if thats the case, there are still a lot of stupid plot holes towards the end that can be easily spotted (some masterpiece they made! haha). lets see them explain this and that with the EC. :p

To the Guest 'begging to differ', sir/ma'am I think you didn't play the other games exploring every option/just played the 3rd game/or just played to shoot something.

Which part made sense?

---

And as a femshep player, I didn't get to see Tali's face without that effing helmet.

m4a4 said:
Extending the BS plot-hole ridden ending?
Tell you what Bioware, you get rid of that annoying god-kid and extend it from there, I will respect you more...

Give respect to get it. These people work hard to produce a fully functioning game. 8-20 hour days and nearly 1 year to get it right. Put yourself into their shoes before you expose your disgust for people that work harder than you.

Back