Massive quake halts Japanese tech, automotive production

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A massive earthquake and subsequent tsunamis struck Japan today, devastating property and killing hundreds. The 8.9-magnitude quake hit 230 miles east of Tokyo and is the largest the country has seen in over a century. Tsunamis rose up to 33 feet tall. The disaster left many technology companies scrambling in the wake. Although the amount of damage is still unknown, many firms have reported their initial losses.

Sony evacuated six factories in the Tohoku region of northeastern Japan. At least one facility that manufacturers Blu-ray discs and magnetic tapes was flooded. Panasonic's three-year-old EV Energy manufacturing plant in Sendai is believed to have been leveled. Several employees at Panasonic's three factories in Miyagi and Fukushimi have sustained minor injuries, according to a company spokesperson.

Sharp, Sanyo, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and many other companies have ceased operations in various locations and begun damage assessments. At least one Honda employee was killed after a wall collapsed at a research and development center in Tochigi, while 30 others were injured. Samsung and Canon were more fortunate than others as both say the disaster will have little to no effect on production.

The full extent of damage won't be recognized for weeks or longer. Outside of property losses and fatalities, the impact of halting output could be enormous, causing worldwide shortages in the automotive and other industries. Shares for Toyota and Sony have fallen 2.43% and 2.36% on the New York Stock Exchange as traders buy put options in case of a prolonged shutdown in automotive production.

Our sincerest condolences go out to all those affected by the catastrophe. If you'd like to pitch in, you can text "REDCROSS" to 90999 (30333 for Canadians) to donate $10 to the Red Cross. PayPal has also launched a relief effort allowing users to freely send money to any US 501(c)(3) and Canada Revenue Agency registered charities raising funds to aid Japan. This will last from today through April 10, 2011.

Permalink to story.

holy sharp shooters batman, that's a big shake..

ditto: One of my favorite country, my prayers to all those affected.

I'm pretty sure I don't have to say this to the techspot community as we all know better, but to be on the safe side: be careful of the scams that will come from this. I'm sure we all remember those "charities" that popped up after Katrina and Haiti that turned out to be scams. It's sad and pathetic that people would do such a thing, but unfortunately, it happens. So just be careful when donating. My prayers go out to everyone in Japan.

"The 8.9-magnitude quake hit 230 miles east of Tokyo and is the largest the country has seen in over a century."

Um, its the largest in Japan ever, not just in a century.

You can say ever or be politically correct and say largest in recorded history.

See: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Japan

Guest said:
"The 8.9-magnitude quake hit 230 miles east of Tokyo and is the largest the country has seen in over a century."

Um, its the largest in Japan ever, not just in a century.

You can say ever or be politically correct and say largest in recorded history.

See: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_Japan[/quote]

they could just be saying "the largest earthquake in a century" because earthquakes haven't been recorded past the last 100 years. does it really matter? >.>

Don't forget, there was the original 8.9 and then later on a 6 or 7 something aftershock. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to be in an 8.9 quake followed by a 30ft high tsunami followed by a large after shock (I think the aftershock came after the tsunami, not sure). But still, 2 large shakes and a large wave in only a few hours...I would definitely be needing a new change of underwear, lol.

Once again, I have to applaud Google. They were very helpful when Egypt had it's civil uprising, and now they're helping out here. Google Person Finder

As others have said, my thoughts go out to those affected.

Also, another Google link to the 2011 Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami crisis response page they have also setup.

I have to say being where I am in the world, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes don't ever happen. OK we had a tornado a few times, but other than ripping a few roofs off houses thats about it. We do get flooding though in some places - But christ, I'd be petrified experiencing anything like the above!

Let us pray for the dead, the missing, the families who have lost everything and the millions of Japanese whose lives will be forever changed in the aftermath of this horrible tragedy.

My bro lives in japan. He's ok, but I too pray for the those who have lost loved ones and property.
What enrages me though is how cruel some people are behaving at youtube. The affected are uploading videos of the earthquake, and people are saying that they're fake! I mean, how dumb and heartless could you be!!

matrix86 said:
Don't forget, there was the original 8.9 and then later on a 6 or 7 something aftershock. I can't even imagine what it'd be like to be in an 8.9 quake followed by a 30ft high tsunami followed by a large after shock (I think the aftershock came after the tsunami, not sure). But still, 2 large shakes and a large wave in only a few hours...I would definitely be needing a new change of underwear, lol.

Once again, I have to applaud Google. They were very helpful when Egypt had it's civil uprising, and now they're helping out here. Google Person Finder

It's been reported that there are over 125 aftershocks, some as big as 7.8 and others around 6.4. Terrible tragedy. One of the worst modern disasters that could happen, well happened.

I'm still in shock. I have a friend that lives in Tokyo, she is ok but she is separated from her family and don't know if they are ok.

I'm truly saddened and really at loss for words.

I really hope my friends are all well in Japan
My thoughts go out to all those affected

P.S. For a little list on scams and other fraudulent activity related to charity you can see this page;
http://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=10537

My thoughts that go out to individuals conducting such activity are of a very different attitude!

I remember the night the UK got a 5.0 a few years back (very uncommon for the UK)...I dived out of bed thinking the house was coming down.

What the Japanese went through must have been a literal hell...Not to mention the tsunami after.

I'm definitely sorry for them.

My bro lives in japan. He's ok, but I too pray for the those who have lost loved ones and property.
What enrages me though is how cruel some people are behaving at youtube. The affected are uploading videos of the earthquake, and people are saying that they're fake! I mean, how dumb and heartless could you be!!

The teenage daughter of one of my closest friends also lives just outside of Tokyo. I can't seem to get hold of anyone to confirm whether she is still there modelling, or actually back here in the UK on holiday - its very worrying times tbh!

I watched a few video's on skynews.com earlier on, and read up regarding the nuclear power plant issues, as well as the coastal destruction, and watched some videos of the affects in Tokyo, as well as more rural areas. Tbh I've seen enough devastation already to know my mind couldn't even begin to comprehend it all.

@Benny,
I remember footage of the tornadoes flowing up the Thames River one year, and I also remember the tornado going down that infamous Birmingham street and ripping all the roofs off of the houses it went past. That's it for destruction in the UK. However, that said its probably a good thing, as we can't even seem to handle 2 inches of snow in our country - a national disaster would be unthinkable!!

i see in history of japan that eartquakes are related to equinox and solstice.

All the best to Japan, but only like 500 people died in this, 300,000+ died a few years ago in a tsunami. Mostly in 3rd world countries, not as much media coverage. Kinda steams me.

why they are aloud to have nuclear in that zone of earth?
why they put it near ocean? want to sink it?
why they havent think at a tsunami possibility?
is planet earth with intelligenge or just life forms?

Hello TechSpot members, I am living in Northern Japan near the coastline (Kuji City) which is mostly intact. Electricity and internet have only recently been restored and I'm still waiting for water service to be restored to my house. The waves that reached my city were about 2 meters high but due to the structure of the city most of this water was absorbed into 2 large rivers that past through the city.
A 30 minute drive from my city and you will find the same kind of city you see in the news media and such.
Currently the major roads are blocked by debris and major stores had partial flooding keeping them closed. The earthquake itself was bad, but the Tsunami is what most Japanese people fear and as you can see on TV, for good reason.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

All the best to Japan, but only like 500 people died in this, 300,000+ died a few years ago in a tsunami. Mostly in 3rd world countries, not as much media coverage. Kinda steams me.

Death toll's been past 1500 for the past two days plus the fact of the thousands still missing..I see what you're saying though.

Mostly in 3rd world countries, not as much media coverage.
That's because Japan as a well developed country has its own advanced media to provide coverage of the disaster. That's how you saw dramatic, unprecedented live earthquake and tsunami video. The NHK feed made it easy for other countries to rebroadcast the events. In third world countries it took time for the organized media to get there. Until then it was just a few home video and cell phone type videos.

Back