MC Hammer to launch search engine called WireDoo

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Former rapper MC Hammer is planning to launch a search engine that he believes will rival Google and Bing. WireDoo was announced at O’Reilly Media’s Web 2.0 summit in San Francisco earlier this week.

Hammer, real name Stanley Kirk Burrell, rose to fame in the late '80s and early '90s as a successful rapper, selling over 50 million records worldwide. Hammer eventually filed for bankruptcy in 1996 and has since delved into multiple endeavors, the latest as a technology entrepreneur and social media voice.

Hammer said WireDoo’s goal is to improve search by making it relationship-driven and to provide more relative information in a consistent way in one environment.

Hammer details how the engine is specifically different from the norm by using search term “90210” as an example. He says that you would get the normal query results from WireDoo that you’d find on other popular engines but additionally, you would be presented with related data such as information about homes and schools in the area.

Clicking on schools would drill down further into that category, providing you with information about teachers and their credentials, information about students and the number of suspensions and expulsions at each school and so on. Such data would be pulled from public educational data readily made available online.

WireDoo is still in a private beta phase but Hammer believes the engine will launch around December.

Permalink to story.

Really stupid...
Google is enough as it is, getting Bing was pointless, does the same thing. And theres Yahoo. Why would you try this.

So basically like WolframAlpha but with drill-down capability instead of on the same page?

"Can't search this" dum da da dum, da dum, da dum "Can't search this"

Yep, I can see the advertising now

Is it me or is this is pretty random?

He's actually lives in the same town as I do. Maybe I should knock on his door.

Actually... google is pretty limited. It's why facebook wants to get into the act. Searches aren't personal, and google really only excels at research related things.

I just typed 'What's going on in milwaukee tonight' into google, and I got some good answers, except 3 of the first 5 hits weren't even pages from 2011.

Do I think MC Hammer will be better? Well... at the start of the story is 'Sold 50 million records' and 'Filed for Bankruptcy' so no... I don't think he'll pull this off.

Is there something I'm missing or is "wiredoo" a really bad name? Also, agreed that this is random and very likely to fail/slip into obscurity.

mattfrompa said:
Is there something I'm missing or is "wiredoo" a really bad name? Also, agreed that this is random and very likely to fail/slip into obscurity.

I think it's a horrendous name, I would like to see the thought behind the name. All that comes to mind is ****, and that's not what you want for your huge launch project, is it?

Why so much hate? Is it because of who you think he is?

The underlying concept of the search engine is extremely useful, especially in research scenarios.

Can't touch this...

Wasnt he dead or something?

I remember a friend having a cassette of this dude...

Anything is possible in this world..if Microsoft, Apple and Google can reach to the top. WireDoo also can, as long they got a plan and better features to offer to the world they will be alright. After-all Tech is expanding so why not..Don't hate just because he was a rapper and he is black...

blkm0nk3y92 said:
Really stupid...
Google is enough as it is, getting Bing was pointless, does the same thing. And theres Yahoo. Why would you try this.
Yahoo! and Bing are exactly the same, search wise…

I use Bing mostly nowadays but if Hammer could make a good search engine I'd use that too.

Anything is possible in this world..if Microsoft, Apple and Google can reach to the top. WireDoo also can, as long they got a plan and better features to offer to the world they will be alright. After-all Tech is expanding so why not..Don't hate just because he was a rapper and he is black...

Why not give it a shot, here's the link to sign up for WireDoo beta.

Back