TechSpot

McAfee reveals massive, five-year long cyber attack

By Rick
Aug 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. McAfee issued a report today detailing what is at minimum a five-year, sustained, global hacking campaign launched against more than 72 high value targets. Known as "Operation: Shady RAT", the long-term…

Read the whole story

2. Emin3nce

Emin3nce TS Rookie Posts: 129

Was probably China :3

3. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,062   +77

Or India?

4. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +11

I'd rather use Norton than McAfee, and I hate Norton.

5. You really should avoid both and use Avast Antivirus as it is Certified, Award winning and free. I've used it for close to 10 years and it is outstanding and no I do not sell or work for them :)

6. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

Well, my first guess was that this was in fact a bot network hacker; the targets seem to distant to each other, their respective goals are almost unique. Although, when you think about it - China is not on the map of victims ;)

7. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

49 targets in the US and none in China?
    not hard to crack that code..

8. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

I have to say I agree that McAfee are hardly the best reporters of this information, their products are sub-par at best.

It may not be, but China is hardly forthcoming with admitting they have been, and they like to cloud everything in secrecy as well.

9. The point of the post is that there are some sub-human rejects who care very little about YOU. They care about only one thing -- trying to instill fear in the 7 billion of us living here.

The so-called "hackers" who frequent sites like this are NOT hackers. They are a bunch of adolescents -- which is not to imply that most of you are like them. I am convinced that the majority of people who post here are hard-working adults who care a lot about our culture.

NO one should EVER try to control you. This is what the REAL hackers want -- they want to control you and me. And we need to stop them at almost any cost. The corporate jerkwads are as bad as the hackers, to be sure -- but we must not focus on them to the exclusion of the VERY bad cats who are trying to access power grids and nuclear facilities.

The point is that we CAN use laws to fight corporations. We cannot do the same to fight people who don't believe in laws at all. Just think about what it means to live in a world in which nobody can feel safe -- which is NOT the world in which we live right now. Our world is imperfect -- but it is WAY better than it would be if the hackers win.

10. Actually people who have been using Microsoft have been infected for a long time by a virus called Windows.

11. tw0rld

tw0rld TS Maniac Posts: 609   +6

Oh no...here we go.

12. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 620   +97

Post from guest are the same as post from youtube comments nobody takes them seriously :)

13. WHO CARES.... hacking into these EVIL companies is OK!!!! they are lieing to the public about 9-11, cancer, HIV, and many other things. The Public deserves to know these secrets (WIKI LEAKS), etc...

I am glad!

14. Leeky

Is the UN for example, really evil? :confused:

15. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 616

Ey Leeky, I was just about to write that in a comment... It's my later realization written in its exact text... Oh, how I wish that wouldn't be true :( -- slash/sad face.

As for the 'hacking ethics' - I don't think a national Olympic team really qualifies as 'EVIL'...

16. Leeky

Depends if they're winning and your country isn't! :haha:

P.S. Great minds think alike! ;)

17. jess3088

jess3088 TS Rookie

I have at more then one eccasion been asked to leave class be cause I stood up during a leason and said some pretty nasty things at my little school net book that runs McAffe. I have some things that I just dont think The two of us will ever settle on.

(Ya I talk to computers)

18. "even an unfortunate computer security firm".......

Wonder who that could have been? Maybe......"Computer security firm McAfee" ?

Wouldn't surprise me (Can't believe none of ya picked that up!)

19. McAfee are pedlars in shitware... they report on these types of incidents just to keep their "prestige" up and to keep the average person in a state of fear uncertainty and doubt and of course - continuously buying their products. Anyone with even the smallest grain of common sense would realise that none of McAfees products have any relevance to the subject matter.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.