McDonald's hacked and customer data stolen

By Emil
Dec 14, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. McDonald's servers were recently compromised and hackers were able to get access to customers' e-mail addresses, names, addresses, phone numbers, birth dates, genders, as well as certain information about their promotional preferences and Web information interests. The sites affected were: McDonalds.com, 365Black.com, McDonalds.ca, mcdonaldsmom.com, mcdlive.com, monopoly.com, playatmcd.com, and meencanta.com.

Read the whole story
  2. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Didn't know McDonalds was also owned by Nick Denton ;), they got gawked.
  3. Emin3nce

Emin3nce Newcomer, in training Posts: 129

OH MAH GOD THEY STOLE MY FREE BIG MAC OFFER!!!
  4. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,785   +639

I'm lovin' it

Why would McDonalds need customers email addresses?
    Do they send out email alerts?

Dear __Valued Customer,
    Today is your lucky day! You and ___1.2 billion__other lucky recipients are cordially invited to McDonalds to __witness the bimonthly changing of the deep fry oil__on the__11th January 2011__.
    We will be running a __24 hour__ offer to mark this special occasion, which consists of __a 65% chance that the cashier speaks your language__and__a mostly disease free burger assembly staff who aren't hopped up on illegal substances__
    Looking forward to __watching you visibly age whilst waiting for your order_and once again providing you with that special McDonalds experience.

Best wishes and seasonal greetings,
    Day Shift Manager, Franchise #275698854
  5. What kind of ***** would give McD's ANY kind of personal information?
  6. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Clearly the same sort of ***** that thinks its OK to hand it all to Facebook! :haha:
  7. It was the Hamburglar, an inside job.
  8. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,573   +47

A fat *****?
  9. Cryptopsy

Cryptopsy Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

Thumbs up!
  10. j05hh

j05hh Newcomer, in training Posts: 95   +15

an apology letter from McDonald " We are sorry to all our customers, we are working around the clock to correct this security exploit. We are giving all of out registered customers a free BIG MAC meal (with super size of course) and a free shake. These meals can be redeemed at your local McDonalds nationwide. Please be patient with us as we correct this issue"
  11. lampers1

lampers1 Newcomer, in training

This is getting intense. Gawker Media, McDs, and DeviantART. I wonder what's next?

12. Let's see. What shall I do today? I know, I'll give my personal information to Ronald McDonald. I'm sure it will be safe with him. Oh, bye the way. Could I have my identity theft SuperSized?
  13. YES! Thank you sooo much for that. Quite frankly I think that just made my day.
  14. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

If you see my some geeky looking kid coming everyday with free coupons, it was probably him, notify your local authorities immediately, he is a threat to national security, matter of fact grab a gat turn it sideways and get gangsta on his *** :p
  15. Romasito

Romasito Newcomer, in training

There should be always a certain number of honeypot accounts/data in every system, so would be easier to get some leads when being contacted with data from the accounts.
  16. I agree, I think it was the Hamburgler, in the Play Pen, with the Verizon netbook.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.