Meet the Nintendo Switch: Here's a preview of Nintendo's console for 2017

midian182

Staff member

Back in April, Nintendo confirmed that its NX console would hit the stores in March 2017. Now, we get our first look at the “next home gaming system” in a three-minute preview trailer, and we finally know its name: the Nintendo Switch.

As rumored, the Switch is a console/handheld hybrid that can connect to a TV, be played on the move, and uses cartridges. As you can see in the video, the two controllers (Nintendo is calling them Joy-Con) can attach to the central unit (Joy-Con Grip) to act like a single controller. They can also slide onto the side of the standalone screen unit, making it similar to the Wii U. Additionally, the Joy-Cons can be used for multiplayer gaming on the move, and there will be a more traditional "Pro Controller" option available.

The display appears to be around 7 inches - though it’s unclear what resolution is on show.

As rumored back in May, the Switch uses SD-style cartridges, though it’s likely that the games will also be available digitally.

In a separate announcement, Nvidia has confirmed that the Nintendo Switch is powered by a custom Tegra processor.

The final part of video hints at Nintendo’s ambitions in the eSports market. We see players in a huge arena playing Splatoon on their Switch consoles. "Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime, "it gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries."

When it comes to consoles, Nintendo has been falling ever further behind Sony and Microsoft in recent years. With the Wii U not proving anywhere near as successful as its predecessor, the company will be pinning its hopes on the Switch becoming as popular as the original Wii.

Permalink to story.

In a world full of high performance tablets and smartphones (with Sony already letting you play PS4 remotely on their phones) is this really a good direction to go in? If it's more powerful than PS4 and Xbox as previous information has suggested I'd be really surprised if that performance is maintained in "tablet" mode as that's a fairly slim package to cram hardware in to compete with the AMD graphics in the other consoles. Really not sure about this concept as a selling point. I think they should have just stuck to putting out more powerful hardware for 4k+.

I think it is a really neat concept, but I felt that way in the past too about other Nintendo systems and I got burnt hard... For now, I am going to try to ignore this and watch how it plays out.

Also, the click every time at the logo got annoying.

I think the Wii was a great console, and although it joined in the console wars because it's a... console, I think it had it had it's own space in the market way away from Sony and Microsoft, it was it's own thing it was not one or the other it was more like an and than or.

The Wiiu was probably on the same thing, but without distinguishing itself away from the Wii it was hard to cash out for it, Nintendo has always won on the exclusives and it has it's own fans. I've never ever played a platformer like Mario or the Donkey Kongs, and trust me I've looked for more!

I believe this is powered by the rumored nvidia new arm chip. hopefully they would improve the graphics. they have very good games with great story in their catalogs in n3ds.

If it's more powerful than PS4 and Xbox as previous information has suggested I'd be really surprised if that performance is maintained in "tablet" mode...
It doesn't need to be that powerful in handheld mode. If it was, that would sound the death knell for both Sony and Microsoft, and that doesn't seem remotely likely. What it needs to be able to do is to maintain a level of graphical fidelity and fluidity that keeps players from noticing a jarring discrepancy in visual quality when connecting to or disconnecting from the dock.

The people in the video looked awkward holding the little break away controllers. This looks cheap I was hoping for something more. I'll reserve my final judgement after I see the games and maybe hold it in my hands.

I bet this will continue the downfall of Nintendo. I doubt that people want to carry this together with their smartphone. If this could be used with your phone like a controller extension then it would be really cool. But this is just a dumb gimmick handheld to carry with you with once again shitty games for children and the elderly.

Maybe after that they go the route sega did becoming software only.

PS Vita failed and so will this.

Last edited:
So this is essentially the Microsoft Surface of gaming? Instead of the tablet that can replace your laptop, its more like the handheld that can replace your console....kickstand and all.

I really like this. I was wonder what was going to replace gameboys and this might be it. You can buy most gameboy games digitally now so I wouldn't be surprised if we see the entire ds and 3ds library move over to this. Better and bigger screen, more power graphics card and it's portable. I wasn't really all the excited about this when I first heard about this, but if the price is right I'll be in line on the first day.

They must be on some magic shrooms if they think people will replace their smartphones or even they 3DS with something that bulky to carry around.
loose the screen and make it 30% cheaper and they'll have a winner if it has games.

It seems ... ok? but not for me, I don't touch gamepads, dont care for mario, zelda, dont care for mobile or console gaming. ( ex pc gamer since the commodore 64) interested in the tech inside this thing , and also hope this kills sonys @ms silly concept of itinerant consoles.

Btw, this might sound crazy but I would rather buy a nvidia Wii ...

Last edited by a moderator:
They must be on some magic shrooms if they think people will replace their smartphones or even they 3DS with something that bulky to carry around.
loose the screen and make it 30% cheaper and they'll have a winner if it has games.
well it doesn't have any smartphone functionality so it might be you who is on the magic mushrooms(please share). I've also been waiting a very long time to have something to replace my 3DS. I do lots of outdoors stuff so if I'm stuck in the tent for a day or two while it rains this will be great. Especially since it seems to have multiplayer functionality making it idle If me and my friends are stuck in camp for a few days. I assume it will consume little enough power that we can run it off our camps AGM battery or my camping battery pack.

Last edited:
My guess/assumption is it will have Wifi and a web browser as well... it doesn't replace your smartphone - but it might replace your tablet... If it has an e-reader as well, it could be your kindle, tablet AND gameboy, all in one device...

The question remains as to how powerful that tablet really is... will it be painfully slow with crappy resolution? Or will it run games (and the internet) crisply with decent enough resolution... Bring on March!

I've always been a fan of Nintendo. The only one I haven't bought was the Wii U. I just wasn't particularly a fan. Now this, I'm a big fan. I had a Nintendo DS and 3DS and I loved those. This will bridge the gap for me between console and handheld. I'm all in on this for sure. I don't expect them to be able to stay on par as far as graphics with the PS4 and the Xbox One. Handhelds have always been behind the mainstream consoles. But for me it's not necessarily about graphics. I like Nintendo for the 1st party games. I have an Xbox and a PC for the other stuff.

That docking station could be a sort of SLI bridge to double up the performance? Who knows! I hope, because mobile performance on my big screen is gonna look like crap.

I think Nintendo finally realizes their console days are OVER.

They finally did the smart thing and focused on making portable game consoles that can connect to other consoles, connect to HDTV models (though I'm sure you won't get 4K) and can allow 4 -way multiplayer.
I'm sure sales should be similar to the 3DS:XL.

#1 selling consoles at a loss and making the money back through software licensing has been a science for a long time.

#2 Nintendo's problem is that their platform stands alone. It's underpowered and shunned by developers who want to MAXIMIZE PROFIT by developing for the PC, Sony and MS.

#3 This console WON'T be powerful enough - I assure you that.

The life of a Nintendo console depends on the 3rd party. Nintendo doesn't support their hardware or software and when they release underpowered hardware, they place an artificial limit on the distance their hardware can go.

It's actually a catch 22.

A cheaper system makes production less expensive, increases the user base and makes their equipment more accessible.

But a cheaper system also has less longevity and a weaker experience.

And there's no touchscreen???

That's an EPIC FAIL.

Who do they think they are? Mercedes?

All I see is more plastic peripheral crap to go with the other Nintendo plastic garbage in the closet.

Wii Fit, Wii Mote: the tennis, golf club, pool cue, etc,etc...

Let's see how many people fall for this.

Back