TechSpot

Memory not recognized correctly

By Hodsocks
May 3, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, I have an old slow pc which had only 256MB of SDRAM installed, so to speed it up I decided to up the memory with a1GB stick of DDR memory. The mobo, a ECS K7AMA has 4 slots, 2 for SDRAM and 2 for DDR ram. I removed the sdram beore I installed the DDR ram, I changed the jumpers as necessary but the system seems to think there is only 32MB installed which makes for a very slow pc, running XP. I have tried both slots but it makes no difference.
    I I revert back to the SDRAM, changng jumpers that is recognised fine.The memory is from Crucial and is the type recommended by them on their website.
    Any suggestions as to where I may be going wrong?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,872   +166

The motherboard may only recognize 2-512MB DDR modules or even just 2-256MB DDR modules

3. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 528

Well I did wonder that but I relied on the info given by crucial by running their scanner which suggested 1GB should work, I have mailed then but am still waiting for some feedback.

4. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 528

I fitted a stick of 256MB and that was recognised OK, when I added the 1GB memory went up to 288MB, so maybe 1GB is too much for the board, I am suprised that Crucial suggested that it might fit,

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,872   +166

Yes I really think so too...

6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,556   +301

^ What is this? Did you mean to create your own thread about your problem? Because I do not see what anything you wrote has to do with anything above it. I also don't even understand your post - first it is lecturing us, then it is asking a question.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.