Memory upgrade for Lenovo IdeaCenter K300

circusboy01

I have a Lenovo Idea Center K300 Computer with Windows 7 and 1 TB. Hard Drive It has 4 memory slots 2 are filled with 2.00 GB of memory for a total of 4.00 GB of memory. I plan on filling the 2 empty slots. Bringing my Memory up to 8.00 GB Iv'e done the research,so I know which ones are compatible . Can anyone tell me what kind of improvement I will have.. Faster downloads? Videos wont buffer for ever and ever? Just any kind of improvement I will notice Thanks CB

Not much I would think, depending on what you're doing.
Might even be a waste if you're on 32 bit.

I was hoping that doubling my Ram would give me more than not much. Mine is 64 bit would that make a difference. Sure seems like doubling your Ram would make quite a difference. Or, they wouldn't have bothered providing the 2 empty slots. Thanks for posting CB

Well I said it would depend on what you're using it for.
I've heard that photoshop will benefit from 8GB of RAM, but on the other hand, videos will not buffer faster, you will not download faster, you will not load games faster, you will not play games better, nor will you be able to convert videos faster, not much anyway.
You're most likely not even using your full 4GB anyway, which is why you don't see too much of an improvement.

Well I said it would depend on what you're using it for.
I've heard that photoshop will benefit from 8GB of RAM, but on the other hand, videos will not buffer faster, you will not download faster, you will not load games faster, you will not play games better, nor will you be able to convert videos faster, not much anyway.
You're most likely not even using your full 4GB anyway, which is why you don't see too much of an improvement.

I'm not a Photo Shop person. So unless I get a lot of post that don't agree with you. which is very doubtful. you just saved me $96.00. plus tax Thanks CB

Can anyone tell me what kind of improvement I will have.. Faster downloads? Videos wont buffer for ever and ever? Just any kind of improvement I will notice Thanks CB
Most downloading and buffering speeds are ISP bandwidth dependent.

Did you even consider pulling up the task manager and figure out what program using how much resources?

Most downloading and buffering speeds are ISP bandwidth dependent.

Did you even consider pulling up the task manager and figure out what program using how much resources?

No I didn't I'll do that in a minute. But, I doubt if I'll understand all of it.
I just wanted to fill those empty slots, because I figured the more and the bigger the better. CB
I just went to task manager. I was right I hardly understood a thing. Do you have to change your ISP in order to change your Bandwidth,or just get a better stick or wireless card? Thanks I figure since Hellokitty saved me $96.00 I can spend it on what ever I need to make You tube videos stop Buffering.

hellokitty is steering you in the right direction with regard to any performance increase (or lack thereof) that you'll likely see from a memory upgrade. You can download the All Cpu Meter gadget from this web page to see how much memory you're actually using ... probably a good place to start. It's easy to interpret as it gives you a running total of used, free and total memory.

hellokitty is steering you in the right direction with regard to any performance increase (or lack thereof) that you'll likely see from a memory upgrade. You can download the All Cpu Meter gadget from this web page to see how much memory you're actually using ... probably a good place to start. It's easy to interpret as it gives you a running total of used, free and total memory.

Downloaded the all CPU meter. But ,couldn't find it Typed All in the start menu's search window. It found it . So I dragged the icon to the desk top. But when I clicked on it It told me that the program was working on my computer already??
Kindly disregard this post. The CPS user download was hiding in the top left hand corner of my screen. Actually it wasn't hiding. I just didn't make a big enough effort to find it.

No I didn't I'll do that in a minute. But, I doubt if I'll understand all of it.
I just wanted to fill those empty slots, because I figured the more and the bigger the better. CB
I just went to task manager. I was right I hardly understood a thing. Do you have to change your ISP in order to change your Bandwidth,or just get a better stick or wireless card? Thanks I figure since Hellokitty saved me $96.00 I can spend it on what ever I need to make You tube videos stop Buffering.
Well, the task manager is a valuable tool that you should familiarize yourself with. It basically shows which process is using how much memory, (and what percentage of the CPU) when on the "Process" tab.

The memory usage is the easiest thing to figure out in task manager, as it tells you directly what program is using it, in kilobytes.

You're downloading programs that essentially do the same thing, so why not try to learn to deal with the tools that Windows already has available?

As to bandwidth and the need for buffering, what's your download speed as stated by your provider? If that speed is lower than the video bitrate of the stream, then the system must save it to memory, causing the lag. then when in has enough info stored, playback begins again.

The video card will cause lag in some high bitrate formats playback situations. Does this computer have onboard video?

Well, the task manager is a valuable tool that you should familiarize yourself with. It basically shows which process is using how much memory, (and what percentage of the CPU) when on the "Process" tab.

You're downloading programs that essentially do the same thing, so why not try to learn to deal with the tools that Windows already has available?

As to bandwidth and the need for buffering, what's your download speed as stated by your provider?

Download speed as stated by my provider Which is verizon dsl I believe. Where would I find that info? would it be in Belarc Advisor?
Whats onboard video? I know I can watch movies from crackle and Netflix and they don't buffer like youtube does..

Download speed as stated by my provider Which is verizon dsl I believe. Where would I find that info? would it be in Belarc Advisor?

Verizon DSL comes in 2 basic speeds 1Mbs (about $20.00 @ month) and 3Gbs (About $32.00 @ month). I have the 1 Mbs and it sucks for video.

Just find a large file to download and read the bitrate in FF's download manager. I've never used the program you're talking about. Download a copy of "Ubuntu" see how long it takes.

I don't frequent "YouTube" so i don't know how fast their servers are. A slow server will also cause buffering.

You can go to www.speedtest.net and see what you are getting. Test a couple servers and at different times of the day - hopefully you get fairly consistent results. Then look at your bill or call Verizon to figure out what you are paying for - what you are seeing in speedtest and what you are paying for should be fairly close. If they are off by say >1Mbps then discuss with your ISP about getting that fixed or consider changing ISPs.

You can go to www.speedtest.net and see what you are getting. Test a couple servers and at different times of the day - hopefully you get fairly consistent results. Then look at your bill or call Verizon to figure out what you are paying for - what you are seeing in speedtest and what you are paying for should be fairly close. If they are off by say >1Mbps then discuss with your ISP about getting that fixed or consider changing ISPs.

It's 9:35 am I just checked my speed 3 times got download 3.31 upload 0.54-download
3.38 upload 0.53-download 3.43 upload .54 .I'll test again this afternoon and evening.
The server I'm using is the closest one to me. Thanks
OOPS. Did I get my upload and download #s backwards? The higher #s should be the downloads right?

Heres my evening 8:45 PM speed tests. Forgot to do the afternoon ones.
0.78 DL 0.53 UL/ 0.70 DL 0.54 UP / 0.70 DL 0.51 UP
Why the big difference from this morning? More people on line? CB

The memory usage is the easiest thing to figure out in task manager, as it tells you directly what program is using it, in kilobytes.

As to bandwidth and the need for buffering, what's your download speed as stated by your provider? If that speed is lower than the video bitrate of the stream, then the system must save it to memory, causing the lag. then when in has enough info stored, playback begins again.

The video card will cause lag in some high bitrate formats playback situations. Does this computer have onboard video?

I've been learning the Task Manager. Figuring it out on my own. As soon as I've learned enough to impress you,I'll get back to you. :D

Verizon DSL comes in 2 basic speeds 1Mbs (about $20.00 @ month) and 3Gbs (About $32.00 @ month). I have the 1 Mbs and it sucks for video.

Just find a large file to download and read the bitrate in FF's download manager. I've never used the program you're talking about. Download a copy of "Ubuntu" see how long it takes.

I don't frequent "YouTube" so i don't know how fast their servers are. A slow server will also cause buffering.

I have my Internet bundled with my, low income phone, $52 +change a month. So I have to be getting the $32. per month. As my phone is about $10.
Hey! 32 + 10 is 42 why am I paying an extra 10. Gonna have to make them break down my bill for me.
Just one more thing. The stick I use to get the signal from the router to my PC is a Netgear. It shows my mbps as 54 it never changes it's always 54 Would things run better/faster? if that number was higher? Thanks again CB

I have my Internet bundled with my, low income phone, $52 +change a month. So I have to be getting the $32. per month. As my phone is about $10.
Hey! 32 + 10 is 42 why am I paying an extra 10. Gonna have to make them break down my bill for me.
Just one more thing. The stick I use to get the signal from the router to my PC is a Netgear. It shows my mbps as 54 it never changes it's always 54 Would things run better/faster? if that number was higher? Thanks again CB
Well, a 10 dollar phone becomes a 20 dollar phone very quickly with taxes and federal line charges. My ghetto reach out and touch someone land line and 1 Meg DSL runs about 40 bucks, so you probably have the 3gbs higher speed DSL. IDK if Verizon internet is the some price in all areas.

Just bypass the router, take the signal right from the modem and see what happens.

I still think you should try downloading a large file of known size like Ubuntu Linux, and time it.

Well, a 10 dollar phone becomes a 20 dollar phone very quickly with taxes and federal line charges. My ghetto reach out and touch someone land line and 1 Meg DSL runs about 40 bucks, so you probably have the 3gbs higher speed DSL. IDK if Verizon internet is the some price in all areas.

Just bypass the router, take the signal right from the modem and see what happens.

I still think you should try downloading a large file of known size like Ubuntu Linux, and time it.

O.K. So no angry calls to the phone co.
I don't have a Router and a Modem It's all in one.
Trying to think of a large file that I might want to keep. If I can't I'll just do Ubuntu, and get rid of it when I'm done

I still think you should try downloading a large file of known size like Ubuntu Linux, and time it.[/QUOTE

It's 12;50 am here in CA.. I'm going to download Ubuntu in the morning. Should I time it from when I first start to when it's ready to install? Or through the install process and everything? CB

From the time I started the download to the time it was ready to install was 45 seconds.
Could not time the installation.It asked for a password I put one in and hit install.Would not install, because passwords didn't match. What passwords? the only password involved was the 0ne I had just put in.

I still think you should try downloading a large file of known size like Ubuntu Linux, and time it.[/QUOTE

It's 12;50 am here in CA.. I'm going to download Ubuntu in the morning. Should I time it from when I first start to when it's ready to install? Or through the install process and everything? CB
Read this back to yourself, and you should know why you won't be getting any more responses.

You should not be seeing that large of a difference in your downstream at different times of the day. I would call Verizon and tell them what you posted here on your speeds and at what time of the day they were recorded.

You should not be seeing that large of a difference in your downstream at different times of the day. I would call Verizon and tell them what you posted here on your speeds and at what time of the day they were recorded.

I'll do that Thanks CB

Back