Memtest86 reads RAM at 221MHz, DDR443

marklantis

I have a gateway mt6705 notebook that gets occasional blue screens. This computer is supposed to have PC2-4200 RAM that runs at a 133mhz clock. There are two PNY 1GB DDR2 SODIMM, F sticks installed. But, they dont label a RAM speed. Running MEMTEST at boot, I get readings of 2038MB, 221MHz, DDR443, CAS 4-4-4-12 / Dual channel (interleaved), and thousand of errors. How are these numbers possible? Is there a bad SPD chip that is giving wrong information to the CPU?

It's very possible that there is a bad spd chip giving the wrong timing, however it is difficult to say without seeing actual error codes.

My CPUZ readings are 2048MB,DDR2,266MHz,1:2,4-4-4-12,tRC 16 clocks,PC2-5300. These readings appear to be correct, except the RAM is PC2-5300; when the motherboard calls for PC2-4200. I understood having faster RAM is not a problem. Also, this is brand new RAM. PNY website says 64A0TDTYE 1GB RAM is needed. My RAM says A0TFT-T. If my RAM isnt the correct RAM, how could the computer run fine most of the time?

Hi!

Memtest86 should read the actual speed set for your memory by the motherboard. Some motherboards will take a look at the memory SPD and will set the memory speed accordingly without overclocking your processor. If you have faster ram and your motherboard automatically adjusts for the speed difference then good for you. If your motherboard automatically adjusts and you get memory errors you may have to go into the bios and tell the motherboard to run the memory slower or you may simply have bad memory. If the memory is actually running at it's rated speed and timings and you are getting memory errors then you have bad ram period.

The reason your computer will run in Windows for long periods of time is because Windows is telling your motherboard to slow the memory and processor down when the extra horsepower isn't needed. That extra horsepower isn't needed when CPUZ is the only program running. If you were to run CPUZ and another program (Prime95) that actually required more horsepower you would see your system specs jump accordingly. Memtest86 runs the memory flat out as fast as the motherboard will allow for the entire time it's running because your memory is less stressed at a lower clock rate. Less stress produces fewer errors, and Memtest86 is designed to make your memory produce errors. If you have no errors then you have good ram. If you do have errors then it's time to make sure the memory is running at exactly the right speeds or it's time to replace the ram.

I have my RAM set to 800 in bios at the moment, but my FSB is set to 225, giving an actual 900 frequency of 900, which equates to 1800Mhz. Memtest is telling me that it is running at 667.
Memtest is just reading it wrong. Go by the ID sticker on the side of the RAM itself.

Back