TechSpot

MessageMe chat app grows to 5 million users in just 75 days

By Dave LeClair
May 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The mobile messaging business in incredibly competitive. Users not only have the option of using their carrier's default messaging platform, they also have services like WhatsApp, Viber, Google+ Hangouts, and more to choose from. In spite of this there is...

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,368   +405

So who wants to bet that 98% of those 5 million users are between the ages of 12-21 years old? ;)

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,327   +803

I'll stick with Whatsapp for the time being.

Arris likes this.
  4. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 310   +62

It'd be way nicer if these free messaging apps supported texting people without the app, like Google Voice does. Until then it's just a nuisance to keep switching between different apps to text different people.

highlander84 likes this.
  5. What ever happened to SMS?

6. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TS Enthusiast Posts: 203   +11

You need to have service for that. This app allows you to msg even tho you have no service. You just have to be connected to WiFi

7. ReederOnTheRun

And they have to have a smartphone with the same messaging app as you.

8. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

iPod touch destroyed SMS.

9. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 311

iMessage and SMS. Or Facebook chat. All the rest is just same crap wannabes. My boy told me about kik which all the kids are using. Nothing special. I personally like iMessage the best when talking to other iOS users.

10. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,129

11. ReederOnTheRun

My family uses that a lot after our relative from Europe showed us it. I hope Google Hangouts catches on once it gets SMS integration from Voice. It's actually pretty awesome to use, and it would be nice to have just one app for all types of messaging/video chatting (Besides SMS to SMS texts, unless they built that in too)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.