Metro Exodus is the latest game to ditch Steam for the Epic Games Store

Polycount

Staff

Ever since Epic launched its Epic Games Store, Steam has been bleeding talent and games; slowly, but surely. More and more developers are beginning to move over to Epic's store -- despite its relatively barebones nature -- due to the more developer-friendly 88-percent revenue split the company promises.

As a result, there have been quite a few casualties. Many games that were initially planned to launch on Steam have been pulled from the storefront, and exclusively moved over to the Epic Games Store.

One such game is Metro Exodus, for better or worse. The game's publisher, Deep Silver, revealed today that it will be exclusively selling the title on the Epic Games Store until February 15, 2020, at which point the game will come to Steam once again.

Deep Silver's decision is even more surprising given that Metro Exodus is releasing next month - pre-orders have been available on Steam since the game was first unveiled. This has left many fans who wishlisted the title feeling disappointed and slightly confused.

However, to be clear, those who pre-ordered the game via Steam aren't being left out in the cold. They will apparently continue to have access to it forever (or, at least, until Steam shuts down someday), along with any future updates it receives.

As unfortunate as Deep Silver's decision is for Steam die-hards, there's a silver lining here: according to company CEO Klemens Kundratitz, the more developer-friendly revenue split Epic's store offers lets the publisher "pass on savings" to the players. As such, Exodus will cost a mere $50 on Epic's store - $10 cheaper than it was on Steam.

Permalink to story.

That's a big gamble.

a really big gamble, steam has a bunch of members and to rile them up for only a few days to get a few more dollars is a risky gamble, I own the first 2 metro games on steam(never finished them)but I could see players just bypassing a game cause of this.

is epic game store really well known enough for this type of move?

If you don't play fortnite, then no, not at all.

The way I see it is that Epic Game store is more geared and favorable towards the developers compared to Steam. Hence why a lot of people are ditching Steam for Epic Game store.

However, they need to sell enough copies to make it worth it, since Steam definitely (at this point in time) has way more potential buyers compared to Epic Game Store.

"Bold move Cotton, let's see if their strategy pays off"

EDIT: Go buy it on steam right now before they pull preorders.

EDIT 2: purchased on Steam so that Deep Silver has to keep pushing updates and DLC to steam pre-order owners. SUCK IT EPIC!

Last edited:
Oh I thought ditching steam would mean I couldn't buy it on steam, but I can buy it on release day, on steam.
The article doesn't explicitly say it, but the listing is being removed off of Steam end of today. So unless you meant something else, you won't be able to buy it on Steam after today (until 2020). But if you do, you keep it on Steam.

Epic better be giving them a lot of compensation for this move because people like me won't be following them...
I like the idea of competition driving down royalties, but I don't want yet another games launcher. At best I'd just be adding shortcuts to Steam lol

Epic better be giving them a lot of compensation for this move because people like me won't be following them...
I like the idea of competition driving down royalties, but I don't want yet another games launcher. At best I'd just be adding shortcuts to Steam lol

I agree... there are too many game launchers and some were reported to harvest user data.. cough *EA*

since Steam definitely (at this point in time) has way more potential buyers compared to Epic Game Store.
You sure about that "way more"? The launcher is required to play Fortnite, everyone who plays Fortnite will see the game in the store.

Its funny how yall just happily let GabeN keep tightening your chains.

You sure about that "way more"? The launcher is required to play Fortnite, everyone who plays Fortnite will see the game in the store.

Its funny how yall just happily let GabeN keep tightening your chains.

I literally just said "If you don't play fortnite, then no, not at all."

its funny how *you* just happily jump completely off tangent lol.

" will be exclusively selling the title on the Epic Games Store until February 15, 2020, at which point the game will come to Steam once again."

Fine with me. I will wait one year and buy it from Steam and I bet it will be cheaper then!

I literally just said "If you don't play fortnite, then no, not at all."

its funny how *you* just happily jump completely off tangent lol.
Potential buyers do not need to play Fortnite to know about the platform and the games offered. If you never play CSGO then why get on Steam right?

Steam
Origin
Uplay
GoG
Windows Store

and now the Epic Store?
How many launchers are we expected to use? Talk. About fracturing your games library. Will need to make a spreadsheet soon to keep track of where each game was purchased from and what launcher to find it in.

Steam
Origin
Uplay
GoG
Windows Store

and now the Epic Store?
How many launchers are we expected to use? Talk. About fracturing your games library. Will need to make a spreadsheet soon to keep track of where each game was purchased from and what launcher to find it in.
You're missing Battle.Net launcher for WoW, Overwatch, Destiny, StarCraft, CoD, HotS, Diablo and Hearthstone.

GOG's Galaxy is optional. That's really the whole point of DRM-Free - minimising / eliminating the intermediate / 3rd party software (copy protection, compulsory launchers, etc) required to run it.

I really don't see the problem with installing and running another PC application. And as long as the developer gets the money so it can develop better games, the more, the better.

P.S.
Holly sheep! I just read that Metro Exodus will be $50, but 60 euros in Europe. That includes Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia probably and so on. Good luck fighting piracy!

Steam
Origin
Uplay
GoG
Windows Store

and now the Epic Store?
It is really annoying having to use a difference launcher for each game but it on the other hand it promotes competition, Steam will have to do something about if Epic keeps growing and that's better for the consumer and the developer.

Oh I thought ditching steam would mean I couldn't buy it on steam, but I can buy it on release day, on steam.
The article doesn't explicitly say it, but the listing is being removed off of Steam end of today. So unless you meant something else, you won't be able to buy it on Steam after today (until 2020). But if you do, you keep it on Steam.

Well steam has it available from the 15th Feb 2019, so someone's wrong.

Well steam has it available from the 15th Feb 2019, so someone's wrong.
They just haven't updated the listing. Their 1 year exclusivity deal with Epic says they won't be putting it up for sale this year on Steam.

I'm quite new to pc gaming but I have a question. say there is a online game on steam, epic and m$ store. if I buy the game on steam, do I only play with other people on steam?

Steam
Origin
Uplay
GoG
Windows Store

and now the Epic Store?
It is really annoying having to use a difference launcher for each game but it on the other hand it promotes competition, Steam will have to do something about if Epic keeps growing and that's better for the consumer and the developer.
Except Epic is terrible. Epic will need to pull its head out of its *** to really compete with Steam. I personally won't buy anything that uses Epics launcher, just like I don't but EA games anymore.

Back