Micron to volume produce DDR4 DRAM by the end of 2012

By Shawn Knight
May 7, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Micron has announced development of their first fully functional DDR4 DRAM module. The company has already started sending out samples to major vendors and will be applying feedback to use...

Read the whole story
  2. bmaytum

bmaytum TechSpot Member Posts: 40

Anyone know if the new Intel Z77 (for 2nd gen Sandy Bridge and 3rd gen Ivy Bridge Core i3/5/7 CPUs), or other recent mobo chipsets, can support/ use DDR4 memory?

If not, what future chipsets will use DDR4, and when will those chipsets become available?
  3. Well by what the article stated,DDR4 be out for desktop around 2015..So I would say nobody makes a mobo for ddr4 unless its for a server.That's suppose to be 2013 for servers.So no ddr4 for a few years..
    Hope it gets as cheap as ddr3 is now. :D

:cool:
  4. Z77 chipset does not support ddr4 ONLY ddr3..
  5. DKRON

DKRON TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 547   +8

that guy had no idea how to hold a ram stick, the gold bit is not to be touched
  6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,788   +639

First off, I'm pretty certain the "guy" is a girl
    [​IMG]
    Secondly "Asian girl holding hardware" suggests booth babe rather than tech engineer. Smiling and holding a RAM stick (ooh er) might be the extent of her multitasking capabilities- best not to overburden her with info about damaging gold plated contacts.
  7. DKRON

DKRON TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 547   +8

good point, but as a long time tech, just makes me cringe when I see that lol
  8. At last, this is good reason to replace my old giga x58 platform with new one...when its out of course(MB)
  9. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

Do the 'golden fingers' contacts actually wrap around the bottom edge of a memory module?
    Of course I always hold them from the ends without touching components or contacts but was just curious.

As far as DDR4 goes, I think I'll be waiting for the next big platform upgrade. Don't think I'd switch for just DDR4.
  10. I hope they cleaned that RAM in the pic too.
  11. Well, she's touching the edges, there's no gold around the edges :p plus I used to touch the gold parts all the time with no problems, gold doesn't really react with anything, so you could just wipe whatever finger grease off. Is it really that bad to touch the gold connectors?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.