Microsoft attacks Apple for not having Blu-ray, again

Emil

Staff

Over on the official Windows Video YouTube channel, Microsoft has posted a new PC and Mac advertisement. The rather poorly chosen title, "PC & Mac take flight -- Avatar & Windows 7," doesn't show it, but Microsoft is attacking Apple for not supporting Blu-ray in its computers. The video's description is a little more helpful: "See how PC & Mac stay entertained on a long flight together with the help of Blu-Ray on Windows 7 and Avatar."

While Microsoft isn't exactly blowing our minds away with its tactic to point out that Macs aren't very versatile, we do admit that the ad is actually cute and well executed. That said, we think that Microsoft should highlight one of many Windows 7 features in its ads instead, especially given the fact that Blu-ray is hardly a game changer.

The first time Microsoft attacked Apple for not having Blu-ray was way back in April 2009, though it was much more subtle. That was around the same time that Microsoft started denying rumors that the Xbox 360 would start supporting Blu-ray.

Still, even three months ago, Redmond mocked Cupertino on its Windows 7 website. "PCs running Windows 7 often come with features that either aren't available or don’t come pre-installed on even the highest end Macs, including Blu-ray, eSATA, multi-format card readers, touch screens, and mobile broadband support."

Permalink to story.

I love the subtlety of the myriad of insults they throw at the mac besides blu ray playback

princeton said:
Funny. I though MS said blu ray would die off.

^This.

I knew Microsoft was a great company that was simply run by stupid people, but I didn't know they were such hypocrites.

Call me when you can watch Avatar in all of its 3D, Blu-ray glory on your Xbox 360...

Microsoft was commenting on Blu Ray as a delivery format for their video games, videos on the XBOX 360 system. Taking what they said without context and without understanding their views(even, if misguided for that platform) is rather harsh. Especially calling them names for it.

Chazz said:
Microsoft was commenting on Blu Ray as a delivery format for their video games, videos on the XBOX 360 system. Taking what they said without context and without understanding their views(even, if misguided for that platform) is rather harsh. Especially calling them names for it.

That's incorrect.

Microsoft didn't talk negatively about Blu-ray specifically concerning its consoles. Microsoft stated that the format itself would have a slow death on the market. Of course, such statement, among other things, was made to clear things up about the rumour of the Xbox 360 possibly having Blu-ray support, but the statement itself wasn't about it not being an useful format on its console, but about how the company sees the format's downfall because of other technologies/factors.

"I think people now recognise what a smart decision it was to keep the pricing low, and actually Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a FORMAT,"

You can read the rest here: https://www.techspot.com/news/40382-microsoft-bluray-is-going-to-be-passed-by-as-a-format.html

Don't say that because of the pricing and other factors, that the format will be slowly die, and then make ads using the same very format as a way to demonstrate how your product is superior to your competitor's. That's not good.

"Do you feel that the DVD format is holding the Xbox 360 back in terms of its lifespan?"..

That's the question he was asked. And the answer pertains to that. The xbox 360 was low(whereas PS3 was high). DLC has taken off greatly, and now all consoles offer streaming.

Even sony is VERY interested in delivering games via download only. Blu ray, is not needed for the 360 continued success and he listed the reasons. They don't see a reason for Blu ray( ya, as a format...for the 360. Read the name of the website conducting this interview.). I completely disagree, as I stated in that very link. Video games need formats like Blu Ray, but I'm not gonna badger Microsoft for having a different PoV.

I still find it funny that MS said that Blu-ray was going to die out. How can it possibly die out when future data will require more space than a 8.5gb dual-layer DVD? Hypocrites I tells ya.

Chazz said:
"Do you feel that the DVD format is holding the Xbox 360 back in terms of its lifespan?"..

That's the question he was asked. And the answer pertains to that. The xbox 360 was low(whereas PS3 was high). DLC has taken off greatly, and now all consoles offer streaming.

Even sony is VERY interested in delivering games via download only. Blu ray, is not needed for the 360 continued success and he listed the reasons. They don't see a reason for Blu ray( ya, as a format...for the 360. Read the name of the website conducting this interview.). I completely disagree, as I stated in that very link. Video games need formats like Blu Ray, but I'm not gonna badger Microsoft for having a different PoV.

Ok, fair enough. I stand corrected. But I will tell you this, and its common knowledge:

Everybody knows Microsoft has always been against Blu-ray due to its fight in the console market with Sony. It's hard to adopt a format from the company that makes the competitor to the very product you're trying to add that format to.

You can't seriously believe Microsoft considers Blu-ray a "dying" format... for its console, do you?

Blu-ray is slowly becoming the standard, and that's a fact. It's much harder to make streaming media appeal to the mainstream because not everybody can watch a 1080p movie with their current connection. Blu-ray, as a hard format, is able to overcome this by using the Blu-ray players. No Internet, no lag.

Of course, both technologies have their pros and cons, but in a era where Blu-ray is being released for every movie, and where Blu-ray players are as inexpensive as they'll get, Blu-ray is definitely the best choice. MS knows this, but as I stated on my second paragraph, it's simply hard for them to do/admit.

I think it's retarded that they won't cave in and use Blu Ray for the xbox. Games really need space to grow into. I like how games at launch of the PSone and PS2 grew substantially in quality,size and looks. I was very disappointed when Microsoft first announced they would use HD-DVD..and am still sad about that. I thiink games would be in a better state right now had they gone for Blu Ray.

But, I also understand that they were talking about their xbox platform. Despite what they've recently said..I have no faith in their support for gaming on the PC until they show me otherwise.

GOOD... Microsoft has some catching up to do from all those 'tarded "Apple vs PC" commercials ...It's time for that 40-year old virgin to "kick @$$ and chew bubble gum"... and I'm pretty sure he's all outta gum.

I think the point here is choice. If you don't want to watch BluRay movies on your Mac that's fine, as long as that's a choice you have.

You can talk about whatever current catchphrases you want, but at the end of the day some guy in a turtle neck decided that you're not going to watch those disks on your Mac. I'd rather have whatever problems a Windows PC has over having someone else decide what I can do with my computer.

blu ray isnt really a dying format. the way i see it it gets more and more popular each day. with more and more media set into blu-ray disks, prices will eventually get a lot cheaper. it was bad for the xbox not having bluray support in the first place. it sucks to change disks every now and then. now its attacking apple for not supporting blu-ray. ms is bipolar i tell ya. hahaha

I think that all the concepts and formats using discs as primary medium are already dead. This isn´t the future! Look what happened to CDs, DVDs...Blueray won´t even get to that level of popularity. SSD cards are the medium of the future in my opinion.

You can't give microsoft the stink eye for apple-bashing. Doesn't anyone remember the I'm a Mac commercials? Where they highlighted such points as "look! pc's get viruses and macs don't!"
If apple rises to the market share of MS (they might in the kind-of-distant future), they will feel the burning heat of malicious code writers everywhere that never bothered to write for macs til then.

and @ Decimae I think the whole point was that it isn't an external blu-ray. If you want to go on plane rides with your external bluray drive, that's cool.

I say everyone should just float their own boat, and don't sink others' just because they're floating in a different way.

I say everyone should just float their own boat, and don't sink others' just because they're floating in a different way.

General people tend to see things the way they want them to be; hence such targeted comments and nit-picking about who said what and in which context; as such they may loose objectivity in whatever they are saying.

Anyway, having said that, I would add one bit, I don't believe blue ray will last as long as VHS did.

This seems funny, because Microsoft and Sony are in a big competition with each other with their games consoles and Microsoft supporting Blu-ray is strange, nice but strange.

And Macs don't have blu ray support yet? where have apple been? =P

You have to love Microsoft. Their ugly horse, HD DVD died off and now they attempt to smash other organizations for not backing a horse they didn't back themselves.

Microsoft could say alot about Apple to distinguish the brands. Application availability, ease of management, and customization are all smart issues to point out. Blueray is a stupid one.

the only reason a 360 isnt a "pc" is because ****ing *****s and thier software restrictions
no blue ray on 360 isnt holding it back cuz who needs 25gb worth of game when there not even any quality in 4gb..

xbox games have always sucked and only reason to have a xbox 1 was for modification but if only interested in games developed for a particular platform than playstation or nintendo WAY better since they got more japanese games and those always the best..
EA can suck a **** but im sure they do already just for licensing and ****

Apple needs to get blue-ray support just to shut microsoft's big mouth, but it's not like windows 7 is not a product you'd want to brag about. I have have it on both of my laptops and just works great.

Back