Microsoft CEO finally talks Windows 8, slates it for 2012

By Emil
May 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. For the first time, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer referred to the next version of Windows as "Windows 8" – it was during remarks at a Microsoft Developer Forum in Japan,…

Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

I'm predicting a bust with Windows 8. People seem very content with Windows 7, the release is way too soon after Windows 7, and from what I've heard about the upgrades, they're not that big of a deal. Most are already handled by various free or low-cost 3rd party apps.

Oh yeah, they're also going to incorporate the ribbon menus in the UI which I absolutely detest and seems like most of my friends do too.
  3. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +42

And for the average Joe and Jane User, the Ribbon UI has been more or less a hit primarily because it is a more visual component rather than a list component. Then you have touch capable environments which they hope to cater to, and in my experience I think it is much easier to use than your standard drop down menu.

Whether or not Win8 will be as sucessful as Win7 or will "flop" like Vista, I haven't a clue. ;)
  4. killeriii

killeriii TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

i haven't met anyone yet who prefers the ribbon UI.

i got a free copy of office 2010 with a new computer. after using it for a few days, i downgraded back to 2007.
    i found the new UI took more steps to get what i wanted done. tasks like importing from a scanner became an adventure.
    this kinda sounds like what MS did with WHS by removing drive extender. just doesn't make a lot of sense.
    maybe they're taking a page from apples playbook by telling us what we need.
  5. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,573   +47

Hmm...I can't see myself going for Windows 8 even if it is still a year away. Win 7's doing a top job, and i can't really see what new "things" can come along for me to open my wallet.

...I think i'll go for the "Vista" camp and say it's gunna probably dive.
  6. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 946   +94

2012 is bit early, they should post pone it to late 2013 or early 2014 and take that time to actually work on new features which actually count.

As Tom already said, W7 released recently, unless W8 will be really good I doubt many people will switch over to it.

Like MMO's rushed products, release it and its not finished...
  7. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +42

And I know an office of about 40 people (except one curmudgeon) that are generally accepting the Ribbon UI. Most of them stopped complaining about not being able to find random things after about a month into deploying Office 2007. A number actually prefer the Ribbon even, but this is also an office that uses mostly keyboard shortcuts and macros, so I guess always searching for something is not done.

I personally have no preference. I am completely at home with the Ribbon; likewise a standard list menu is second nature to me. I guess I'm just one of those strange ones since I think it may be different, but it's just as good (not necessarily better mind you). *shrug*
  8. Dear Mr Windows

could you pls include a gaming mode....
    to be able to reboot into a gameing mode where internet browsing , xfire, and games o/c ........... simple and stable .... !!

i would happily pay an extra 10% for this amazing feature

yours respectfully ..... mat 2 (fking) T

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.