Microsoft: four million Windows 8 upgrades sold in four days

Jos

Staff

Windows 8's reception was something of a mixed bag with plenty of opinions in favor and against the new touch-centric interface that takes center stage over the classic Windows desktop. But that isn't stopping consumer adoption of the new OS, apparently. Speaking during his keynote address at the Build 2012 conference, CEO Steve Ballmer told attendees they've sold 4 million upgrades already.

That figure is understood to include individual purchases only as Ballmer also mentioned that “tens of millions” of Windows 8 upgrade units have been sold to corporate customers. According to the chief executive, the “level of interest and enthusiasm” for Windows 8 and the Surface has been “stunning”, although he didn't share any numbers for the latter.

Ballmer is hoping to convice more developers to create applications for its new operating system, as well as the Windows Phone 8 OS launched yesterday. 

So far, companies like Netflix, Hulu, Evernote and eBay have already contributed apps. Other upcoming apps from high-profile developers are being showcased at the event, including clients for Dropbox and Twitter, as well as a PayPal API that will allow developers to use the payment system within any Windows Store app.

Ballmer says that a year from now we’ll see close to 400 million new devices running Windows 8, making it "the single largest opportunity for software developers today." That's certainly a bold prediction considering Windows 7 has sold close to 700 million copies since its release in 2009. Microsoft is hoping that its entry into the tablet market will help bolster sales of its operating system cash cow even further this time around.

Permalink to story.

Big deal. Get back with me in a year and let me know how many copies it has sold by then. Stop trying to create hysteria off initial sales figures. That's probably all the people that actually want it.

700million-4million = 696million units to go just to match Windows 7 sales in 2 years. Let's not all pop the champagne bottle corks at once.

Small surprise. Once you get over the interface change and learn to set it up how you like it Windows 8 is just damn slick.

Dave

"four million Windows 8 upgrades sold"

...Yeah, cuz full retail version is not even available! If you guys go check online, you'll also find just how misleading this whole Windows 8 is - Can't tell what is and upgrade version or not!

Is it just me or if you put a square mustasch on the picture of the front title page, it becomes a very scary sight....

Its a shame this number is counting ALL Windows 8 PCs. Including the ones sitting on store shelves, still unsold. Please stop misleading us and skewing information.

Its a shame this number is counting ALL Windows 8 PCs. Including the ones sitting on store shelves, still unsold. Please stop misleading us and skewing information.
Those are technically sold as far as MS is concerned since they already have the money. The problem of moving the machines to consumers falls on the stores that have them not MS really so I can see why they use that number although it is a bit misleading.

I got news for you brother. It ain't going anyway anytime soon either. So get used to it. :)

I was not going to buy until some one here mention Star dock 8 and got the pro upgrade form Microsoft.com. So far I'm happy with it.

I got a version of the upgrade for $15 and haven't tried it yet. but honestly, I would never pay the full price for a full retail version. it's just too expensive.

If keep this tempo 4 day 4 million to be 2 years 730 million
Windows 7 sold 730 millon in first year

Don't be ashamed... we'll probably all switch to 8 one day sooner or later. or Windows 9, which will just be an updated version of 9.

Been using windows 8 pro since September and I have no issues with it. Once you get use to the start screen it is really not a problem. I find it to be a lot more snappy and responsive. I would encourage anyone to get the upgrade if they are willing to deal with the learning curve that comes with not having a start menu. The world is changing and how people use their devices have change makes sense for Microsoft to make the shift too and I think that it is a good one.

Another thing about Win 8 is there aren't any issues with hardware support. I for one have found that windows 8 has all the drivers built in for my Windows 7 computer, which I had to go to the lenovo's website to get the drivers. I thought that I would have issues finding drivers for windows 8, but all the drivers were there. Also I have had no software compatibility issues. All the applications that I used with & works on 8.

It really shouldn't be a surprise:

Consumers see a shiny new thing, and they want it. And they get it.

I personally like W8. It's faster and more reliable. The Start Screen takes a bit to get used to but now I can safely say it is better than the Start button. I don't get too emotionally attached to products as some people on the Internet seem to get; I use the right tool for the job and that's it. The learning curve involved with using the Start Screen should be a testament of not only how daring Microsoft was for fundamentally changing the way we've been using Windows for decades, but equally, a firm statement that the time put into purposely designing something alongside the desktop--and made for touch to compete with Apple and Google--shows that stagnation can't be thing in the tech world. Unless you want to be RIM.

I came to this realization perhaps because I do like W8. And while I know the undesired effects of this transition will have people not liking Windows 8, I think it was necessary. Maybe we'll see competitors do touch interfaces on desktops to rival the success (?) of W8, which could inevitably yield different computing experiences and complete paradigm shifts. It's exciting because, I know the reason I (or some of you) don't own, say, a Linux PC is not necessarily because I love MS or Windows per se, but because the latter is simply the right tool for the job, which then leaves many of us more than willing to change that tool whenever the time comes.

This "spark" that is W8, will force competitors to innovate on spaces MS gambled on. And I hope that once we get to that point I can say: "Man, Windows 9 sucks when compared to X." I'm not eagerly anticipating that moment, just that when it happens I'll be ready.

For those who don't like it, the way I see it is this: if you don't like it, don't buy it. It won't stop millions around the world from buying it, but I guess repeating you hate it, or saying those who bought it will regret it makes you feel better about your decision? Is that how it works? I don't know. I think read about it on a sociology course, but, I digress...

What needs a sociological course is why the masses would like to buy for something they are not allowed to own or share while the alternative is free to own and share!

If you have a relatively modern computer, Linux/KDE is the best option.KDE provides by far the most advanced customizable and powerful GUI of any kind! Different workspaces among different activities each with its own set of widgets and wallpapers! Kind of awesome.B

In a year's time, I'd be interested to see some stats on the comparison of Windows 7 installs and WIndows 8 installs. I don't completely hate Windows 8 (the Start Screen still bites), but there's not a really compelling reason to upgrade right now.

It really shouldn't be a surprise:

Consumers see a shiny new thing, and they want it. And they get it.

I personally like W8. It's faster and more reliable. The Start Screen takes a bit to get used to but now I can safely say it is better than the Start button. I don't get too emotionally attached to products as some people on the Internet seem to get; I use the right tool for the job and that's it. The learning curve involved with using the Start Screen should be a testament of not only how daring Microsoft was for fundamentally changing the way we've been using Windows for decades, but equally, a firm statement that the time put into purposely designing something alongside the desktop--and made for touch to compete with Apple and Google--shows that stagnation can't be thing in the tech world. Unless you want to be RIM.

I came to this realization perhaps because I do like W8. And while I know the undesired effects of this transition will have people not liking Windows 8, I think it was necessary. Maybe we'll see competitors do touch interfaces on desktops to rival the success (?) of W8, which could inevitably yield different computing experiences and complete paradigm shifts. It's exciting because, I know the reason I (or some of you) don't own, say, a Linux PC is not necessarily because you love MS or Windows per se, but because the latter is simply the right tool for the job, which then leaves many of us more than willing to change that tool whenever the time comes.

This "spark" that is W8, will force competitors to innovate on spaces MS gambled on. And I hope that once we get to that point I can say: "Man, Windows 9 sucks when compared to X." I'm not eagerly anticipating that moment, just that when it happens I'll be ready.

For those who don't like it, the way I see it is this: if you don't like it, don't buy it. It won't stop millions around the world from buying it, but I guess repeating you hate it, or saying those who bought it will regret it make you feel better about your decision? Is that how it works? I don't know. I think read about it on a sociology course, but, I digress...

This is one of the most sensible Microsoft posts I've read in a long while.

Back