Microsoft issues post-RTM update for Windows 8

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Update: If you are interested in giving this update a try, you can download it now from our Download Section.

Intel chief Paul Otellini may have ruffled a few feathers last month when he told a group of employees during a company event that Microsoft was releasing Windows 8 before it was fully ready. He went on to suggest the OS still needed improvements but felt that Redmond was making the right move by releasing it on schedule.

Perhaps Otellini might have been on to something after all as Microsoft released an update for Windows 8 earlier today ahead of its general consumer launch. Known as the Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 General Availability Cumulative Update, the patch includes fixes for a handful of bugs that have since surfaced following RTM status on August 1.

The update also delivers increased power efficiency to extend battery life in mobile devices, improved audio and video playback in several scenarios, better application and driver compatibility and general performance improvements for applications and the Start screen.

The post-RTM patch will initially only be available to MSDN subscribers and enterprise users. The general public will have to wait until the OS’ official launch on October 26 to get what Microsoft considers the first real service pack.

Microsoft is also planning to continue the usual “Patch Tuesday” update cycle with Windows 8. Under this schedule, the company releases a series of updates on the first Tuesday of every month. It’s reassuring to know that Microsoft will continue this tradition with the new operating system as many grown accustomed to it.

Permalink to story.

"...the company releases a series of updates on the first Tuesday of every month."

It's the second Tuesday of every month !!!

Wow, so nice of Microsoft to release an update already for Windows 8 before it even hits store shelves. Thanks Microsoft. Oh and while you are at do you think you could release a Service Pack 2 for Windows 7 sometime before I am dead? Thanks Microsoft,
Wishing you the warmest holiday greetings

At guest above:

"but we already released windows 7 sp2 and it's called windows 8".

@guest above:
microsoft will not die, at least in the forseeable future...

microsoft, apple, motorola/google are american companies.
the day they die is the day we acknowledge that mandarin is the official language of the u.s.a.

Well... theres a saying in the music biz "a song is never finished, its abandoned" they could work on any os for ever and still find stuff to change to make it "better"

As long as this "Patch" doesn't disable classic shell because that's the only way I'm touching Vista 2... I mean Windows 8.

Sheesh. Every time Microsoft does anything, it's as though it becomes b**** and moan hour of angry ex-girlfriends.

But then again, maybe I should be mad too. I mean, Windows 8 doesn't even tell me that I'm pretty and fabulous.

But then again, maybe I should be mad too. I mean, Windows 8 doesn't even tell me that I'm pretty and fabulous.
Hmmm

Now you are giving Apple and Microsoft something else to patent. Which one do you think will patent the Magic Mirror?

I can hear it now, "iMirror iMirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?". :lol:

Microsoft just doesn't get it. Forcing users to learn a new interface, they did not want, is taken right out of the Apple playbook.

I'm not too worried, because Microsoft will eventually realize this bad move and will reverse it soon enough. If not, corporations will continue to hold off on any win8 upgrade, or even worse, take an even harder look at Apple desktops.

I'm not too worried, because Microsoft will eventually realize this bad move and will reverse it soon enough. If not, corporations will continue to hold off on any win8 upgrade, or even worse, take an even harder look at Apple desktops.
Corporations looking to Apple?
You mean the same ones locked into ActiveX apps and whatnot requiring Internet Explorer, preferably a really outdated version too like IE6
Or their wonderful ERP systems that will break whenever you install the latest updates for Windows XP or Server 2003. Which is all they support?

Man, Microsoft just can't win with you guys. I never would've thought I'd see so many people complaining that they released a patch. Even if you don't like the interface, fixing bugs is a good thing.

Corporations looking to Apple?
You mean the same ones locked into ActiveX apps and whatnot requiring Internet Explorer, preferably a really outdated version too like IE6
Or their wonderful ERP systems that will break whenever you install the latest updates for Windows XP or Server 2003. Which is all they support?

Very true.

Man, Microsoft just can't win with you guys. I never would've thought I'd see so many people complaining that they released a patch.
Personally, I wasn't complaining about the patch release. I was questioning why it appeared to be called the "first service pack", when the OS hasn't been released to the general public.

This resembles a scheme to trick corporate into installing Windows 8, when corporate usually waits for SP1 before ever considering an OS upgrade. To be honest, I think they know how un-receptive Windows 8 will be to the masses. Pushing the OS out early and getting past all the negative responses, will allow them to continue fine tunning Windows 8 into the next OS (whether it be Windows or called something else).

I have trauma with Vista, hope MS don't give the same experience with this win8 :eek:

As long as this "Patch" doesn't disable classic shell because that's the only way I'm touching Vista 2... I mean Windows 8.

....lame.

Thanks....But I guess only time will tell who is right. I knew Vista was a disaster before it was released...Just like Windows 8 will be. Sure there will be some who say it's great...like some do about Vista. But we all know it's crap. But I guess you have to have the crap release before the polished release. At least that has been Microsoft's cycle all along since Windows 3.0 was released.

Microsoft just doesn't get it. Forcing users to learn a new interface, they did not want, is taken right out of the Apple playbook.

Only forcing people that buy pcs with windows 8 installed lol. They can always install something else

If I cant get a windows 8 tablet for $200,and it wont do any apps that arent in the mS store, I wont get anything related to windows 8. period.

Back