TechSpot

Microsoft outlines Windows Phone development, shows off Xbox Live-linked game

By Jos
Mar 15, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microsoft's MIX10 conference kicked off a few hours ago in Las Vegas and already it seems that Windows Phone 7 Series is set to be the star of the show. Company executives took the stage today to show off some of the platform's features, including a built-in location and push notification system, along with a number of prototype and early-stage applications from the likes of Netflix, Pandora and EA Mobile.

Read the whole story
  2. natefalk

natefalk TS Rookie Posts: 78

Awesome!! !!
    As a developer, I like the idea of the free tools. Since there are a lot more people familiar with .Net and Visual Studio I can see the "Windows Phone Marketplace" becoming even larger than Google and Apple's App store put together simply b/c of the use of Visual Studio and Silverlight (Flash alternative). There could also be more demand by businesses looking for mobile solution. Since many businesses already own licenses to develop .Net apps the cost would be minimal compared to Apple.
  3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,496   +304

This is actually looking very promising indeed! I guess I know what my next phone will be. Well when HTC announce it anyway.
  4. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 592   +45

THANK YOU MICROSOFT!!! I hate to say it, but one of the reasons I bought an iPhone was so that I could develop for it. Then I found out that you can't develop for it unless you have a Mac, which I will never pay good money for. I think I'll be developing my game for WP7S.
  5. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

Wow, something M$ is releasing actually sound rather promising. I'm dumb struck.
  6. elroacho72

elroacho72 TS Rookie Posts: 124

The W7 phone is like the missing link in my Microsoft World.
  7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 970   +84

Killer App!

Last year when some MS engineers tried to express how cool this phone would be with an NDA censoring their words I just couldn't get the picture and bought an Android phone with a contract. Man, I wish I hadn't now! I'm going to be so envious of my friends who can get a WinMo phone now.

This is such a leap in gaming evolution that I can't believe it's Microsoft who's bringing it forward. Kudo's big M!

One last comment, someone please make me a USB Micro dock \ Xbox controller that can extend the battery life and give me thumb sticks for this.
  8. Yeah, I considered getting an Android phone as well. Lucky for me I decided to wait and see what WP7 would look like before jumping on the smart phone bandwagon. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with that I see so far. I think I will actually develope my first game for this! Heck, the tools are free and I have experience with C#.
  9. megrawab

megrawab TS Rookie Posts: 93

This is really great. I never thought that Microsoft will release something like this at this era. Mobile phone can now do programs, and for free! I used to do visual basic and C++ apps. Hope that it has also the capabilities of windows for pc...
  10. pipopaz

pipopaz TS Rookie Posts: 70

I'm actually think Microsoft is going the right way with its new mobile os. The integration between xbox live and pc makes for some interesting playground for developers to really push the device.
  11. rskapadia2294

rskapadia2294 TS Rookie Posts: 102

i think MS will dominate phone market also with its windows 7 mobile os!
    i think its os will be launched first on an HTC! dunno really!
    but i m quite excited about it!

12. Thompson

Thompson TS Rookie Posts: 65

For once I can truthfully say that there are some things about this phone that actually look better than the iPhone, while it is, for me, not going to replace my iPhone it is certainly something that is a very viable competitor, i'm going to have to rethink what i've thought about the Windows phone in the past.

Microsoft is king of copying a lot of features, Push Notifications, Applications and Location stuff but as long as they work as well as they do on the iPhone i'm fine with it, they're good features.
  13. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 TS Rookie Posts: 145

If Microsoft can make good REAL games (no tap tap or dumb crap) using the new Nvidia chip and have a good application variety I might be very interested.
  14. Aneesh

Aneesh TS Rookie Posts: 22

yes microsoft moving forward than any other software develpers.....this should make great change in indian market.
  15. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

hummm, quite interesting, now the development kit being free, i'm starting to be more n more attracted to games design & programming. I shall start with UDK still & go for PC games! LOL.

cheers!
  16. cyrusjumpjet

cyrusjumpjet TS Member Posts: 93

Competition is very good for the mobile phone industry right now, especially this sort of high-end mobile system. Looking forward to seeing what MS can do with this.
  17. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,286   +49

Writing a game for it would be enjoyable as it is a new platform. It is surprise Netflix is already on top of making an application. I think they will have good, new applications to offer users.

Overall, Windows Phone 7 could easily be a good competitor for the iPhone. :)
  18. thebluemeaner

thebluemeaner TS Rookie Posts: 81

I cant wait to own one of these once they become more slim and portable..
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.