TechSpot

Microsoft plans corporate restructuring with focus on "devices and services" division

By David Tom
Jun 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Reports suggest that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is planning to realign the company, positioning some of his major executives in unfamiliar roles. The restructuring effort appears to be fuelled by the Redmond’s newfound interest in “devices and services”, a strategic...

Read more

2. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 733   +230

By time time Windows 8.2 hits you'll be clicking to open documents and getting pop-ups demanding that you pay for the privilege.

avoidz likes this.
  3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

Restructuring to focus on devices. I am not too sure that will work out too well.

4. Saintnsinner

Saintnsinner TS Rookie Posts: 56   +11

They really need to get rid of this guy. The company has been on the downward spiral except for Xbox, since this guy took over.

avoidz likes this.
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,814   +921

Why doesn't Ballmer just stand up and say :................(wait for it)................

"OK look, we're going to simply copy Apple's business model to the letter, because we can't come up with a workable plan of our own. The honest to God's truth is, I don't have anywhere near the talent that Bill Gates did, I'm just a talking head, that opens its mouth to change feet".

And get it over with....:oops:

avoidz likes this.
  6. With the recent debacle with Xbox One, I doubt that it will help Microsoft much.

7. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

I for one really like Ballmer, he really never gets enough credit. He has been CEO of Microsoft for 13 years and Microsoft has been doing just fine in that time. Not every product has been amazing but no CEO or company is perfect, even Apple and Google have many failed products as well.

Sure, he acts silly on stage sometimes but you don't graduate from Harvard with a B.A. in applied mathematics and economics and last 33 years at a forefront company like Microsoft by being an *****.

He's a smart guy and I think he does have a method to the madness.

8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,684   +86

Need to put me on the team and I'll tell them which way this company should be going. Need to clean-up the sub system just way to much issues there. Focus on a better product first. Somewhere in their minds they have lost touch with the consumer.

Windows 7 SP2 or SPX should have been released and we should have never bothered with desktops, laptops running Windows 8. Windows TOS should have been released only for the Surface RT and Pro. Now you have so much devices on iffy OS. Windows 7 right now works for now! Until a major patch gets pushed to our systems still on that OS.

Microsoft listen to use who use your products if you don't then your going to say 'WHAT DID WE DO WRONG?"

9. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 880   +231

Every single time you guys post a picture of Steve Ballmer, he looks ridiculous! It's going on like 30+ articles now!

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,091   +1,519

Well you know how it is. Some people (including myself) are not very photogenic.

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,814   +921

Well, when you've had Bill Gates carrying you for most of those 33 years, you actually can be an *******. I'd wager Harvard grants "gentlemen's degrees", the same as many other institutions.

Oh sure, you'd probably say the same thing about something as dignified as a douche bag with a smiley painted on it....:mad:

12. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

In other words, Microsoft sooo wants to be Apple. It's sad to see. The devices they have are mostly on the ropes, so I don't see how being a "devices" company is going to help. Add services that nickel and dime users and you have a recipe for disaster. Ballmer is the very definition of a KWYJIBO.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.