Microsoft releases Kinect for Windows hardware and SDK 1.0

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has released Kinect for Windows hardware and the first official SDK is now available for download. The Kinect for Windows hardware is optimized for computers running Windows 7, Windows Embedded Standard 7 and Windows 8 Developer Preview.

A $100 educational discount is also in the works but isn't expected until sometime later this year. The SDK itself is free to download but without the hardware, you shouldn’t expect to get too far with it. The public release follows Beta 2 and includes many improvements such as support for up to four Kinect sensors plugged into the same computer and significantly improved skeletal tracking.

microsoft kinect windows sdk sdk kinect for windows

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer spoke about Kinect for Windows at last month’s Consumer Electronics Show. During Microsoft’s final keynote speech, the chief pegged today as the launch day for the program and announced that the company is already working with more than 200 partners including American Express, Boeing, Siemens, Mattel, Toyota and United Health Group.

Redmond sold 18 million Kinect devices for the Xbox 360 last year – enough to earn a Guinness World Record for the fastest selling consumer electronics device ever. Kinect for Windows, however, isn’t initially being marketed as a gaming accessory.

The hardware is available in 12 countries at first (United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Spain, and the United Kingdom) with more countries being added soon.

Kinect for Windows features a suggested retail price of $249 that includes a one-year warranty. Microsoft notes that the hardware isn't being sold at the same price as the Xbox 360 version due to the latter being subsidized by users purchasing supported games, subscribing to Xbox Live and other transactions associated with the 360 ecosystem.

Permalink to story.

Who cares! When will this gimmick go away? I can see using it in education (programming, robotics etc) but it's so lame otherwise.. M$ please stop. It's enough already with Kinect..

As soon as I read the $100 discount I realized it was going to be over priced, but $250? For a fancy web cam that can watch you do stuff. The novelty fails to captivate me in anyway at all, I thought it was overpriced for the Xbox this is just absurd. By the time anyone finds a use for this thing better technology will exist and it will be more affordable.

Wait... so we were promised a revised camera system. And since original kinect is USB, people hacked the drivers for it to work fine on PC already.

And we're supposed to pay $250, not $80 like the xbox one..

You have to congratulate Microsoft on this one. It take some real prudence to wait until the hype of a gimmick has completely died before trying to sell it at an overly inflated price.

yes techspot, just use the power you have to delete user's comments...

that's the freedom we have here? right...

it just means that you agree with that crap...

please, don't forget to delete this one too...

...sigh...pity...

Track IR will cost you twice as much but eat up twice the resources.

Sim gaming is 100x better with head tracking

Back