Microsoft Russia leaks Internet Explorer 9 interface

Jos

Microsoft has released four 'platform previews' of Internet Explorer 9 over the last few months to highlight and test some of the browser's underlying improvements over its predecessor. We've gotten a taste of the new JavaScript engine, code-named Chakra, and new standards support, but thus far the look and feel of IE9 has been kept under wraps. That was supposed to change with the first public beta coming out in three weeks, but maybe we won't have to wait that long.

The image below was posted on Microsoft Russia's press website along with some information on Internet Explorer 9. Although it has since been pulled down, the screenshot is already doing the rounds on multiple sites, and Neowin claims to have confirmed it's the real thing through sources familiar with Microsoft's plans.

Following the current trend being embraced by browsers like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox 4, the screenshot shows a minimalistic user interface that leaves as much room as possible to render websites. Most notable are the absence of webpages' title in the window title bar, and the multiple menu items of the Internet Explorer 8 toolbar which appear to have been replaced by home, favorites and settings buttons in the top right-hand corner of the window.

Furthermore, the tabs, navigation buttons and a combined URL - search box have all been condensed into a single row, which makes things look a bit cramped. The site also reportedly mentioned the introduction of tear-off tabs, which allow users to easily open a tabbed website in a new window, and a feature that will apparently treat "recognized" or "protected" sites as traditional Windows applications that can be moved to the taskbar to be opened independently.

No release date has been announced for the final code, but it's likely that won't arrive until 2011 so the interface might still see a few changes. In the meantime, what do you think of the direction Microsoft is taking with IE9's looks?

Permalink to story.

Looks a massive imprrovement visually if those pictures are anything like the real thing.

now everyone is following Google Chrome's prime real estate organization. it's about time we get some square footage back. Ever since switching to chrome, opening back up FF, or IE678 seems like so much of a waste is space. the conventional menu bar pretty much takes up a third of a laptop screen. Not only this is a huge change visually, but as a web designer, microsoft's IE9 also brings a huge list of native CSS coding support without the bloated use of extra JS. But unless IE user in the world all switch to IE 9 at the same time, it still sucks to be a web designer having to code for all the old IE 678

I don't like the direction IE 9 is going in.
I especially don't like the title-less window, there should definitely be a title in the title bar.
Also the tabs NEED their own horizontal bar... I've seen Google Chrome; minimalistic is fine, but menus are important, especially to IE with all of it's settings and tools, so I hope some changes happen before the final release.

It looks nice, but its still sad that they are twice as many versions ahead of most competitors and still lag behind twice as much with security. They did a good job with Windows 7 and Microsoft Security Essentials though, so I'll probably give it a chance when its officially launched.

Whenever I use IE8 for even 5 minutes to check a website in alternate browser, it gets infected or something. :( Runs in background, like 10 processes, and plays random sounds..

But onto IE9, good luck getting that design out there. Tabs need whole screen, not half.

What the hell? I like the minimalistic design and all, but what would happen when I open my usual 20+ tabs? It would be a disaster to multitask. Tabs right next to the address bar doesn't seem like a brilliant idea, Microsoft.

Oh well, it's not like I'm going to use it anyways... :p

Bigger back button than the forward button? I smell a Firefox copycat...

Not that I care really, it's just that it feels weird to see Microsoft taking notes from other browsers. About time I would say!

But not that it will make much of a difference though, Firefox and Chrome will still be superior.

@Guest above.

IE is still well used, and I find quite a high percentage of those accessing my domains still use IE.

I'd love to see Techspot's browser percentages. I think you'd be surprised how much its used.

I occasionally use IE along side FF/Minefield/Opera, and it is not the best thing out there, but it isn't the worst either, frankly people who complain about 'getting infected' while using it need to see how they use it, and on what sites :p

These stories keep popping up about leaks from M$ in Russia. As near as I can figure, M$ is committing industrial espionage against itself.

Who runs the board of directors over there, the KGB....?

Has the cold war been restarted? Did it ever stop? Is Bill Gates a Pinko? I'm sore afraid!

Gotta jet, gonna check the stock of provisions in my bomb shelter.

It looks good, but how fast is it? I gave up on Internet Explorer after Vista and IE7. Geez, talk about SLOW! Then throw in Windows Defender and the Phishing Filter and it's a real dog. IE8 seems a bit faster, but I still like Firefox better. I don't like the minimal Google Chrome look. It might be ok for a netbook or mobile device with a small screen, but not great for a desktop. I also use Safari sometimes, but I still prefer Firefox. Firefox is cross platform too. it works with Windows, Mac and is the default browser for many versions of Linux. It's nice to have the same browser on every computer in my house. Another reason I use Firefox, it's Netscape's revenge against Microsoft's evil empire.

"Superfetch" to the rescue.....?? (Er, um, well, not likely).
It looks good, but how fast is it? I gave up on Internet Explorer after Vista and IE7. Geez, talk about SLOW! Then throw in Windows Defender and the Phishing Filter and it's a real dog.
Face it, when you're pushing a ponderously slow OS such as Vista, you couldn't have a fast browser, you'd just make yourself look bad.

I don't like the direction IE 9 is going in.
I especially don't like the title-less window, there should definitely be a title in the title bar.
Also the tabs NEED their own horizontal bar... I've seen Google Chrome; minimalistic is fine, but menus are important, especially to IE with all of it's settings and tools, so I hope some changes happen before the final release.
Agreed about the tabs. And if they are going to have a titleless window, then just get rid of that extra space up there, put the address bar there and give the tabs their own bar.
Perhaps its customizable though, and you could make the tabs have their own bar.

The picture shows the IE "Home" button on the right side of the GUI. I'm so used to the Firefox "Home" being on the left. Methinks it might be a bit annoying or inefficient to switch between browsers on a regular basis with this arrangement.

No to mention the buttons are spread all across the toolbar, rather than being clustered as they are on, you guessed it, Firefox!

Back