TechSpot

Microsoft said to be considering a native version of Office for Linux

By Matthew
Feb 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I've dabbled with Linux countless times over the last decade, and besides the obvious learning curve that comes with permanently changing operating systems, I've mostly stuck with Windows because of support for games and Microsoft Office -- particularly Word. The...

Read more

2. I would recommend checking your sources once again, or at least put a finger to the ground. Why on earth should Microsoft spend as much as a penny on developing anything for an operating system yet to acchieve more than 1% market share on the desktop, and with a user base that are not willing to install anything unless they get it for free? Sorry to say, but this rumour is a falsum. Enough said.

3. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Booster Posts: 279   +49

Maybe just install Wine and then Office over it?

4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

This is not going to happen...

5. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 414   +42

I would be SOOO happy if they did this. What with steam coming to give us some decent titles on the OS. Now if only we could get better drivers for things like Sound, graphics, keyboards and mouse's.

With that said. I do not see this happening. Atleast not for 3 years.
    This would undeniably strengthen Linux' position in the desktop market not to mention the distro's which Office will be compatible with.

6. I think this is quite possible, as stated in the article many governments have switched or are in the process of switching to Linux. Linux is becoming more popular and it's another market Microsoft could use in attempt to keeps it's dominance.

7. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,096   +43

Wine...
    Or just use libreoffice if you cant configure Wine to work. Does Open Office work with linux? I dont remember. Not watching the topic.

The closer we get to that point... well who knows.... They might decide to close up Ubuntu 12.04 LTE, and make people pay for it. Then we all move to the next best free version of linux, lmao

8. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

Office 7 and 10 work with Wine, LibreOffice and OpenOffice work fine with docx files under Linux, as does Google Drive's online word processor if your editorial chores are simple and you don't need to record changes and edits by multiple users, etc. As for Ubuntu being the best Linux distribution, more people now are using Mint, which is remarkably like using Windows 7 and quite stable. Lots of good distributions for more *nix-savvy users. All MS issuing a Linux version of office would do for me is let me use Linux all the time instead of only most of the time.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. robynsveil

robynsveil TS Rookie

Why WINE?

I use MS Office 2000 - don't care for the ribbon and the cost of upgrading - particularly Excel for the VBA which, in LibreOffice, is not quite there. I run a very stripped-down flavour of Win7 Home Edition in VirtualBox and run Photoshop and Office in that environment quite nicely. I can even copy and paste back and forth from Mint to Win7... reasonably easy to set up and quite stable.

I've tried WINE for Poser 7 way back when, and wasn't happy with the behaviour... maybe I should give it another chance, but I did try CrossOver recently with Poser Pro 2012 and it didn't ... didn't. Some stuff just doesn't happen. TBH, PoserPro doesn't work well in VirtualBox either because of the hardware acceleration issue, so I dual-boot to Win7 when I want to get into Poser.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.