Microsoft Security Essentials won't do a full scan

ihatebluescreen

As mentioned above, Microsoft Security Essential won't do a full scan. It stops in file C:WINDOWS/system32/com/mtsadmin.tlb and I can't even cancel the scan.
After I noticed that, I also noticed that windows kept wanting to update some things over and over. I don't know if that has to do anything with my problem. Someone told me to reinstall frameworks, and I think I did ( I reall know almost nothing about computers): ).

If this is usual behaviour, and the repetitive updates were previously successful, try Microsoft Fixit. Available directly from microsoft.com.
Also, check if a recent change/installation is responsible. Login as admin, or boot-up in Safe Mode, and try running the scan. If it won't complete, that file you mentioned shouldn't be there.
Try running Windows Update in Safe Mode.

If this doesnt work or there is any other weird behaviour, let us know so we can continue with troubleshooting.

I don't know if this will help, but to me it almost sounds like with the scan stopping at C:WINDOWS/system32/com/mtsadmin.tlb is more a coincidence than anything else. I'm having a funny feeling that where the C:WINDOWS/system32/com/mtsadmin.tlb is being stored on your hard drive, that section of hard drive may be damaged some how. I've had a couple of my clients have similar problems in the past with other antivirus company's. There scan would stop all of a sudden and would continue to do so almost always at a particular file. It was then proven that those clients had damaged and dieing hard drives, I replaced those, and at a later time the client would do virus scans without any problems. If you don't feel like replacing your hard drive, I would then recommend you conduct a disk check, the point & click way of doing this would be....

1. click on your "my computer" icon or click on your "my computer" through your Windows start menu.
2. When open, you will see your "C" drive, that's the hard drive, ((right click)) on the hard drive icon.
3. A pop out menu will appear, select ((properties)) should be an option located at the bottom of the list.
4. Another pop menu will appear, giving you a lot of hard drive information, above, select the ((tools)) tab button.
5. When that pop menu opens you should see at the top something called "error checking" ((click on that))
6. A final set of commands for this check will appear, click on both the "automatically fix file systems errors" and "scan for and
attempt to recover all bad sectors", please click to accept both options.
7. Just hit ((start))
8. Windows will now tell you that this scan can not be done with Windows active, it will tell you it needs to restart your
computer and then it will then start the scan, select ((okay))
9. And away we go!

This scan depending on the size and style of your hard drive could take a short period of time for a small hard drive, and or take hours if your hard drive size is large. During this scan Windows will try to locate any errors and bad sections of your hard drive and will attempt to fix all the error's that it finds. A detailed report will become available to you after the scan is complete as to see what possible error's were found and what Windows did to fix the problem.

Now this may or may not help your current situation, but if it does, and Windows reports that it fixed your hard drive, I would then strongly recommend that you run a defragmentation program to put everything on your drive in proper order. After the defragmentation is complete, at that point it would be a good time to run your antivirus program again, this time seeing if your scan can complete and doesn't get stuck somewhere.

If you do indeed choose to do these recommendations, please come back here and let us know how things went!

Good luck.....

I think if Zen is correct, your HD activity light should be on the entire time it is hung up. Is that happening?

Thanks everyone.

I'm about to try Microsoft Fixit, thank you!

Zen, I just did what you recommended and it didn't work (error checking). MSE keeps stopping in that file.

Sngx1275, what do you mean my HD activity ilght?

I was thinking that I had forgotten to mention that I don't know what a defragmentation program is. Any recommendations?

And Microsoft Fix it didn't work. I'm not completely sure which one I'm supposed to download.

ihatebluescreen said = "I feel very ignorant right now."

Don't feel to badly about yourself right now! Almost everyone here would have to admit that they to were once brand new to the computer world as well. So what if it was a simple thing like detecting if your computer had a hard drive activity light! Just look at it this way, "now you know", so in the future when someone says anything regarding activity lights, you will know what to look for. For most of us computers and the technology that goes along with it are a "learned art"! Maybe some popped out of the womb knowing it all with computers, I sure wasn't one of those sorts.

So again, don't get yourself down, keep your chin up, and one of these days you'll have a pretty good grasp of what's going on!

Open up command prompt (Start > Run > cmd)
Code:
chkdsk c: /r

"Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use be another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>"

Respond yes "y" REBOOT

Restart and allow copious amounts of time. Do not skip the disk check on restart. If it seems to hang walk away and eat a meal, see a friend, watch a sports game, watch a movie, etc.
!Leave it alone and let it work.!

I followed all your instructions, also disabled Windows Defender and removed all other security systems from my notebook that I could find and MSE *still* cannot run a full scan without crashing! #help

Back