Microsoft to close Soapbox August 31

By Matthew
Jul 22, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Only a month off from their decision to scale back Soapbox, Microsoft has decided to close the service altogether. Soapbox launched as a YouTube competitor in 2006, but failed to gain foothold on the market. Redmond’s announcement last month stated that they intended on transforming Soapbox into a forum where bloggers and citizen journalists could post videos relevant to MSN’s focal points (entertainment, lifestyle, finance etc).

Read the whole story
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Is this a bad thing?
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I've never heard even heard of it...
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,268   +218

Me neither Rick, saw the headline and had to click to see what it was all about.
  5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

If reasonably tech savvy digirati like ourselves did't know what SoapBox was, maybe that was part of it is failure.

I'm sure MSN pushed it as part of their services, but relatively speaking, not many people use MSN.

And concerning Microsoft, it's probably for the best anyway, since YouTube loses about $1,500,000 every day it operates. If YT can't generate money, I doubt Soapbox could even be in the positives, let alone lucrative.
  6. JudaZ

JudaZ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 292

whats soapbox, agree with Rick, I've never heard of it....maybe thats the problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.