Microsoft updates Windows 10 Technical Preview to build 9860

By Scorpus
Oct 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has launched the first update to the Windows 10 Technical Preview, adding in several new features for Windows Insider participants to test. The update brings the operating system up to build 9860, and is delivered as usual through Windows Update.

Read more
  2. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,100   +526

Ahh yes, more windows phone features. That's what microsoft needs to add, more feature from another failed operating system will make this one so much better!. Different uses you say? We'll just call the poor use of screen space and disregard for M&K "feature".

I'm starting to think that microsoft somehow uses phones to tablets to program their OS, every step they take forward the go two back.
  3. yRaz

yRaz TS Evangelist Posts: 1,826   +877

Think the release version of Windows 10 will be build 10,000 and they're somehow planning on using that in marketing?
  4. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Addict Posts: 269   +138

Have you actually installed and used the tech preview? There's not a whole lot to complain about. It's a fine OS.
  5. darkzelda

darkzelda TS Addict Posts: 251   +86

The more I hear about this OS, the more I like...
    lalaman likes this.
  6. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,803   +483

windows 10 is actually really well done. a good upgrade from win 7. and having a notifications system has been one of the most requested features. how about you stop hating for no reason and start testing it.
  7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

Windows 10 is actually pretty solid. Definitely a worthy upgrade over 7. I do miss the windows performance score system though. It's still there, but toned down so it's command line only really :(

Although it didn't actually mean much I'd have liked a bit more visibility of it.
  8. stansfield

stansfield TS Enthusiast Posts: 76   +14

There is a prog that emulates the windows experience which will probably work on w10 although I haven't tried it yet. Works fine on 8.1.
  9. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

Yeah you can pretty much modify Windows to become anything, I just don't understand why Microsoft introduced it as a sort of benchmark so you knew how your computer would run certain programs and then they just kind of retired it? No one ever complained about it and it's not like it was annoying, so why remove it graphically? Just find it odd.
  10. stansfield

Agree. Just tried the prog and it doesn't work however Classic shell works fine.
  11. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TS Booster Posts: 147   +25

By using "phone features" (when done correctly) you can actually close the gap between windows and windows phone. Making it a lot easier for someone with a windows 10 laptop and a windows tablet to get a windows phone since the OS will show similar features.

Why do people with an iPhone tend to buy an iPad instead of a tablet? Because of similarity in features and because you can sync the devices. So why shouldn't Microsoft do the same?
  12. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +464

Lol talking about backfiring :p

Ahh yes, more snotty comments about windows. That's what posts lack.
  13. Doth mine eyes deceive me? A Windows article where the majority of posts are positive, save for that one chop at the beginning? Well, I haven't tested it myself, but the big one zero seems to be shaping up to be an excellent OS. Oh well, since I bought Windows 8, no biggie, it wasn't that bad of an OS anyway, certainly got my monies worth. Paid next to nothing for it anyway, and I've spent far more money on games and applications, so buying the OS to me is like buying a new hardware part for my PC, it cant function without either one, and since the regular upgrade cycle for hardware is generally around 3 to 5 years, I'll buy Windows 10 at the end of next year, making it about 3 years, more or less, since I bought Windows 8. The rest of my PC is due for a major upgrade anyway, so maybe I'll do it all at once.
  14. Grrr all these constant UI changes make me grumpy, and I hate change.

Can someone please make a Custom UI that brings back the Win8 look, charms and start menu?
  15. I'm sure someone who's tested it can confirm, but I believe I read somewhere that Windows 10 has the option of using either the start menu, or the start screen. The charms bar I believe is gone for good though.
    AHS0US likes this.
  16. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 467   +97

Start screen, charms bar, its all still there. Use Windows key + C to bring up the charms bar. I haven't found out how to reactivate the function where the mouse pointer in the corner slides out the charms bar but I haven't really looked for it either. The start menu can be switched out by right clicking on your task bar and selecting properties. You'll find start menu options on one of the tabs, I just can't recall more specifically because I'm recalling from memory.
    Kibaruk and DJMIKE25 like this.
  17. DJMIKE25

DJMIKE25 TS Booster Posts: 150   +47

Thanks for saying this. I probably should have known that shortcut was there.
  18. EClyde

EClyde TS Maniac Posts: 616   +143

The only thing about 10 is... it isn't 8, beyond that just a buncha Jabberwocky
  19. Frank Barnett

Frank Barnett TS Rookie Posts: 61   +6

Sounds like this is a good time for you to join the 15 other people who use Linux instead
    Kibaruk likes this.
  20. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

The reason there's only one negative comment is because everyone except fanboy zealots (all 12 of them) have given up on Microsoft. The company is clearly set on destroying itself and we're all tired of begging it not to.
  21. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +464

Yes... that might be it...
  22. DJMIKE25

DJMIKE25 TS Booster Posts: 150   +47

Well The updated build has messed with the lettering on a lot of websites and in the UI of windows. I seem to be words seem to be missing a lot of letters now. Strange.
  23. So says the king of the Zealots himself...
    Quite rich of you to say everyone that has a different opinion to you is a fanboy. Are you 12 years old that that's all you've got, and want to get into a, "my daddy can beat up your daddy" type of argument? Its fine, by all means, join the other OTHER zealots, as you call them, and run over to Linux, because clearly its the be all and end all of operating systems. Sarcasm aside, for all its faults, Windows including 8 and now 10, is still the easiest system to use. I'm sorry you cant get over the fact that Microsoft decided to remove one tiny aspect of Aero, I.e. faux glass effect, and tried to introduce a different approach to OS navigation. Damn, they should just release one OS and stick with it forever, never try new things. Heck, why did they ever make the jump to Windows 85 when 3.1 was such an epic OS? That aside, its a pity that there isn't an extensive 3rd party community to fill in the blanks now isn't it? Imagine for a moment if you could simply download an alternative option to the one Microsoft provides. Damn it Microsoft, how dare you create such an inflexible, unalterable operating system, cant you see what you are doing to poor, poor psycros of Techspot fame, and others of his inflexible ilk? Oh, the inhumanity of it all...

P.S. I hope you saw what I did there?!!
    AHS0US likes this.
  24. stansfield

I've got the same. Looks like there's a problem with the fonts.
    DJMIKE25 likes this.
  25. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,100   +526

I've tried it, it's pretty great. I just don't want microsoft to do what they did last time and remove or add unwanted feature that are very important. From the consumer preview to the official build they remove the start button so I wouldn't but it past microsoft to facepalm again.