Mind boggling - home LAN working on Laptop, not Home Computer after lightning strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all techno's,

I had a lightning strike at home, damaged several appliances. I have a home LAN cat5 network in every room, all coming to a 24 port patch panel, connected to an ADSL router / hub. I had to replace the ADSL hub, as the LAN ports got damaged during the strike. Now have a brand new SMC 4-port hub / ADSL router in.

Funny problem : the house computer does work if I plug a long fly lead from the house computer to the hub, but not if I plug it into the wall socket which then is connected through the patch panel to the same hub.

So, conclusion: the LAN / patch panel got damaged as well.

Only problem is, if I plug my newish T500 Lenovo laptop into the same wall LAN socket that is not working with the home computer, the laptop does work. It seams the network connection for the Laptop on the LAN runs at 300MB/sec+, but the home computer, with a 1.5years+ old LAN adapter at 100MB/sec.

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE that the LAN works with the Laptop, but not with the home computer?????

It seams the network connection for the Laptop on the LAN runs at 300MB/sec+, but the home computer, with a 1.5years+ old LAN adapter at 100MB/sec.

HOW IS IT POSSIBLE that the LAN works with the Laptop, but not with the home computer?????
The home computer may "report" that its running 100MB/sec, but the best way to tell what each of them are actually doing is by running a >> speedtest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back