Mobo + memory = POST failure

By cL0N32
May 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. mobo:

asus m4a88t-m

hynix hmt125r7tfr8c

the board does no beeps, but it features MemOK! and has a dram_led... the dram_led is blinking red continuously... this is the ecc memory and the said board is supposed to support ecc... i tried reinstalling / reseating the memory - same result... i'm going to buy some other memory, but what could be the problem here? any help is appreciated
  2. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Assuming the board and system is powering up...
    Have you tried resetting the board? Clearing CMOS ?
  3. cL0N32

cL0N32 TS Rookie Topic Starter

the power is fine, the onboard power led shows green... as soon as i hit the power button, the dram_led starts blinking and it just stays that way, the screen doesn't come up... tried clearing the bios, didn't help... any other suggestions?
  4. dividebyzero

I would try booting the system with only one stick of memory. If that shows no improvement, then swap sticks and retry. Just for the sake of form I would repeat the exercise with the sticks in the second of the primary DIMM slots.
    Next course of action would be- as you have already noted- to obtain another set (or stick) of RAM and try booting with that- preferably a module on Asus's memory QVL. If this option does not work either, then the problem is board related. Is the board known to be working, or is the board new/second hand but untested ?
  5. cL0N32

cL0N32 TS Rookie Topic Starter

i tried one stick, 4 sticks, 2 sticks all kinds of combinations and places... yeap the board should be working - it's a refurbished by asus board, still under warranty... i have another ddr3 board, this ram doesn't work in it either, but that one i think doesn't support ecc... i guess memory replacement is the only thing i can really do here
  6. dividebyzero

You can try RMA'ing the RAM -at least if it gets returned then you'll know that it is either the board, or board incompatibility. You might also try testing the RAM in another system- if you have one handy.
    The M4A88T-M isn't some workstation/server board - the board will take non-ECC as well as ECC memory.