MoBo Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, New to the forum. Happy to be amongst you. I have a eMachine T234 for my daughter and it keeps shutting down.

I've read a lot here & done all the checks. Also replaced the PSU with a Dynex 400w, upgraded with a 500g HD and installed a clean copy of the OS. Vista Home 32bit.

I cleaned all fans checked temps and it still does the same. After reading all the other posts about emachines I am confident that it is crap also. But, this is my daughters and I want to fix it for her.

What motherboard can I replace the old one with that is comp/w the Athalon AMD 64 and any other saved parts? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Hi,
I have zero knowledge of eMachines so here goes.
Is the system actually a T2341 ? If so then...
Is this your board ?
If it is then your part number for a direct replacement is MBEM2124L7V2 (or LV7MM2)
According to my search it's an AMD Socket A (462 pin) motherboard of mATX (micro ATX) form factor.
I don't know where you're based- I assume from your username you're from the U.S.- so I'd check eBay and other online auctions first before trying etailers/retailers - the part is fairly old and buying new will most likely be costly.
A quick search of Socket A mATX boards brings up:
ASRock K7VM3
Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L , the site linked also carried a number of DFI boards

Welcome to Techspot !

I cleaned all fans checked temps and it still does the same. After reading all the other posts about emachines I am confident that it is crap also. But, this is my daughters and I want to fix it for her.

What motherboard can I replace the old one with that is comp/w the Athalon AMD 64 and any other saved parts? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mike
One thing that you haven't mentioned is whether you've reseated the CPU heat sink fan assembly, and given it a fresh coat of thermal compound.

Many of these failures are in fact, the motherboard going bad. Sometimes there are visible signs of burning or bulging capacitors around the CPU, in the voltage regulator area. but sometimes not.

The trouble is,if this Emachine is as old as it's number implies, the memory may be an older type, so that would have to be purchased along with a mobo. The restore discs would no longer work, and you'd need to purchase another copy of Windows also. Here you would buy an OEM copy rather than a retail version (1/2 the price)

I see by the fact that you bought a "Dynex" brand PSU, that you're a Best Buy shopper. If you decide to get into this computer repair a bit deeper, you should probably familiarize yourself with Newegg.com, a far better source of parts. http://www.newegg.com/Store/Computer.aspx?page=1

It's a T5234 not T234

Hey Guy's, I made a mistake or typo. It is a T5234 type eMachine. Sorry for that. I bought the PSU off of eBay. But I do frequent the Best Buy. Just not for computer hardware though.

I do need more resources. I'll check the Newegg site out as well. I saw some eMachine factory replacement mobo's on eBay. But I want something other than the eMachine type.

I Also have a current Vista OS for my Dell Inspiron 530 I could load up on the T5234 if I have to. The new hard drive in the T5234 is new & it has a fresh copy of Vista on it. Will it be necessary to reload the OS? Thanks, Mike

If you replace the motherboard you pretty much always need to reload windows. Every once in a while you may get by with a "repair" install instead of full clean installation, but you will need to redo your OS in some form.

In terms of using the Dell Vista disk - I am assuming you mean using the disk that came with the dell to install on the eMachine using the eMachines Windows Vista Serial number. I haven't exactly tried this with a Vista install, but i know with XP, the Windows disk was often restricted so that it would only install on a Dell machine, so i suspect the same here.

Anyone with a suggestion on a mobo replacement for a emachine T5234? It has a Athlon AMD 64 X2. CPU, 400w PSU, 500G HD & 2gig of ram.

I gave up on trying to figure out why it keep shutting down. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back