Modern Warfare 2 rakes in over $1 billion worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Activision today announced that Infinity Ward's blockbuster military shooter, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, has accumulated over $1 billion in estimated global retail sales. The title's popularity has far exceeded expectations, shattering numerous entertainment records, and even becoming the most pirated game of 2009, despite its late-year release.

"There are only a handful of entertainment properties that have ever reached the $1 billion mark, which illustrates the power of the Call of Duty franchise and the mass appeal of this game," said Activision Blizzard CEO Robert Kotick. Modern Warfare 2 generated $550 million sales during the first five days available, surpassing box-office hits like Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, as well as games such as GTA IV.

Naturally, the game has been popular among pirates too, and the PC version of MW2 alone pulled in some 4.1 million unauthorized downloads in less than two months, compared to The Sims 3's 3.2 million downloads in a six-month period.

As for the future? Several downloadable content packs are due this spring, and rumors suggest that Infinity Ward's next project will be an MMO while another developer might pick up the Call of Duty franchise.

Permalink to story.

LoL....IMAX

Good game though, still working my way through it, but have enjoyed it so far. I'm even a PC user, the lack of "dedicated servers" isn't a big deal, worse case scenario, the host drops, the game pauses for 10sec while it sorts a new host and you resume.

Shame they can't even fix the issues in the game, no dedicated servers etc. This is why a lot of people I know are now trading this game in for something better.

thatguyandrew92 said:
Ok, well I think this proves that pirating doesn't effect sales....hmmmm

No it doesn't. It just proves that 4+ million people are willing to steal.

compdata said:

No it doesn't. It just proves that 4+ million people are willing to steal.

Next time you release a product and are willing to write off $200+ Million (4mill*$50) you can just send me the check.

those 4 million pirated games could've been 4 million sales if IW listened to their customers. 4 million x $60 = $240 million? Guess when you make $1 billion, you could tell the pc gamers to go f**k themselves.

Those people here you say dedicated servers is not a big deal are *****s. They are people who buy a game to just play the campaign.

thanks a lot to those fan boys. IW could remake pac-man and label it call of duty 8, and stupid *** people will buy it.

@compdata, "No it doesn't. It just proves that 4+ million people are willing to steal."

Pirating isnt a stealing, you *******. If you something find on internet then it is free, because U FOUND IT. Just like you find 1000$ in public WC. Of course you would took it... so you are thieft, arent you? ****tard

Pirating isn't stealing? And "because you found it on the Internet" makes it OK? You want to see retarded? Go look in a mirror, Guest.

Guest said:
@compdata, "No it doesn't. It just proves that 4+ million people are willing to steal."

Pirating isnt a stealing, you *******. If you something find on internet then it is free, because U FOUND IT. Just like you find 1000$ in public WC. Of course you would took it... so you are thieft, arent you? ****tard

Tell that to the FBI as they haul your *** away to jail for pirating. I'm sure it will work.

I keep hearing people comparing movies and video games in terms of revenue. You can't make an accurate comparison between the price of a movie ticket versus the price of a video game. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

Agreed, his methods seem subjectively intellectual, let him see how it fares in the face of ruthless entertainment corporations. It's people like that that are best defined as the appropriate individuals to be confined.

I keep hearing people comparing movies and video games in terms of revenue. You can't make an accurate comparison between the price of a movie ticket versus the price of a video game. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

You're right, but Activision started the comparison so...James Cameron Modern Warfare 3 IN 3D!!! YA! =P

And Pirating =! Stealing, it's copyright infringement. Both wrong and usually illegal with some exceptions in other countries. And it's not always a criminal matter like stealing... Nevertheless MW2 would still imo be number one on the pirated games list even if they didn't screw PC gamers over. Popular things will always be popular targets for piracy.

unfortunatly, this thinking is common these days

and the nominees for the most preposterous thinking are........

I weep for humanity

hey Guest, I just found your car in public.....geezus

LoL....IMAX

Good game though, still working my way through it, but have enjoyed it so far. I'm even a PC user, the lack of "dedicated servers" isn't a big deal, worse case scenario, the host drops, the game pauses for 10sec while it sorts a new host and you resume.

totally agree with you, i was concerned before as a major COD4 player but now it's just kinda the normal way of playing.

So if 4 Mill people have 0$ to spend on a $50 game, how the f*ck do they lose $200M?

So could I copy this game over and over and start handing it out to every person on the planet then get sued because they "lost" $400 Billion?

Where is this $400 Billion dollars I created? Its not in my bank account. Its definitely not saved on a disk. Anyone every sell a pirated copy for $50? No? That's because its not worth that much.

Lets talk about the dollars stolen from the pockets of consumers.... Anyone's Xbox overheat? PS3 Hardware failure? Voided warranties? Games scratched? Misleading advertisements? False game reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back