Motherboard doesn't POST

Hello. I'm not entirely sure where to go for help at this point, so I thought I'd try looking for help here. I've got a couple problems with my PC that I need help troubleshooting since I'm not experience enough to do it myself. Also, I couldn't think of how to title this thread to convey the best message in the least amount of words, so I apologize if it's misleading.

It started off with me installing a new PSU, the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2. I put it all in, and wired it all up, but I made a stupid mistake by using the same wire that my previous PSU used to plug in my SATA devices. It made since at the time since the old cable fit better, but upon further inspection, the two SATA power cables used different pins when plugging into the PSU. Long story short, my SSD was burned and no longer works. I have reason to believe that my HDD no longer works as well, and now I'm starting to worry that my Motherboard or CPU is also fried. I started my computer up and it went to POST just fine, although it did actually recognize my disk drive, which was still wired to the same wire that burned my SSD. I then turned it off and let it sit overnight since I assumed I would just need to buy a new SSD and possibly a new HDD. However the next morning, after I had unplugged and removed all my SATA devices (being the two storage devices and a disk drive), I turned it on and the motherboard did not POST, and did not even send any signals to my monitor. My motherboard is the ASUS Z97-A, and I noticed that the CPU_LED was a constant red. This didn't bode well for my machine so I turned it off and now here I am. I haven't yet tried plugging in the old PSU to the motherboard/CPU, which I will do in a short while, but I also want to test my new PSU.

So, sorry for the long block of text, but could you guys tell me how I can test how much power my PSU is outputting to each of my cables, and possibly what steps I should take next to see whether or not my Motherboard and CPU are fried?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer me!

You need to get yourself what is called a multimeter to test your psu. Make sure it is digital. You can buy one at Radio Shack or Sears/K-Mart for little money.

I bought my Craftsman a few years ago at K-mart for $22.00 and it works great.

There are numerous You Tube Videos that will show you how to test your power supply as well as online articles. The rails you want to test are the +3.3V, +5V, and the +12V. Here is a good answer to the ranges that are considered desirable: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338363-28-what-correct-voltage-values-power-supply

You need to get yourself what is called a multimeter to test your psu. Make sure it is digital. You can buy one at Radio Shack or Sears/K-Mart for little money.

I bought my Craftsman a few years ago at K-mart for $22.00 and it works great.

There are numerous You Tube Videos that will show you how to test your power supply as well as online articles. The rails you want to test are the +3.3V, +5V, and the +12V. Here is a good answer to the ranges that are considered desirable: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338363-28-what-correct-voltage-values-power-supply

I've checked the voltage coming out of the CPU cable, motherboard cable, and SATA cable (the correct one). They all read the appropriate voltages, however when I went to test the SATA power cable that I used from my old PSU instead of from this PSU, I didn't get any voltage readings, most likely suggesting that it's been broken. I've tried turning on my PC with no SATA devices connected, or with just my optical disk drive connected, and I've tried starting it with no RAM, and with 1 stick of RAM, and none of it yielded any results. No POST, no beeps, and the CPU_LED remains the only one still on. I'm trying to look into getting a new motherboard/CPU through warranty at the moment as I think the only possibility left is that they were fried, do you agree?

Thanks for your response!

Back