Motherboard or memory problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've built this new system, and recently I've been getting some memory issues (6GB (3x2gb) ddr3 1600mhz). There are 6 total slots on the motherboard for memory. Using the first set of 3 (for triple channel), I got some results. Using the other 3 slots, the computer didn't boot at all. Not even POST. I ran memtest86 and this is what I've got:
Individual sticks in each slot: all pass
Every combo of 2 sticks: failed at 45% of first test
all 3: test freezes at 7% of first test

I've never used memtest before today so I'm not quite sure what these results mean. Is it faulty memory or possibly a motherboard problem?

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE

Let me know if any other information is needed.

P.S. Also, for some reason, a few seconds after shutting down my computer (while I was changing and testing the memory), I hear a slight sizzling sound coming from somewhere on the board, though I can't tell where. Normal or could this have something to do with my memory problem?

Thanks!

it sounds like you motherboard doesn't like the ram you have. you might have to upgrade you BIOS

but the sizzling sound doesnt sound good at all, if was you i would RMA the motherboard

you can does this here
EVGA RMA

Sounds like one or more traces to the RAM slots are fried. RMA time I think.
It seems that your second DIMM slot is likely the culprit- this needs to be populated for 2 sticks to be used, and of course needs to be populated if using all three sticks.

i tested each stick by itself, and thats the only time the test passed. You say my mobo doesnt like the ram? do you mean any of the specs, or simply these individual sticks may not agree. in other words, would i be better off RMA'ing the memory too, or should I buy different memory (like 1333mhz)? my bios has the latest version (it came out 11/29/09) and yeah the sizzling is making me worry. i see the motherboard could be a problem so i'll RMA that, but should i go ahead and do the memory too?

just RMA the motherboard first. im sure the EVGA X58 SLI LE can handle any spec ram but some motherboards wont work with some ram without an BIOS upgrade.

i looked into it a bit, and according to EVGA's site, that motherboard works with the Gold version of the memory I have, but not Obsidian... which doesnt make sense at all, but i guess it could be a contributor. I'm gonna contact OCZ in the morning and see if I can RMA the ram, but get Gold sent back to me instead of Obsidian... maybe it'll help in the long run.
I should have said earlier i guess, but all these parts are brand new. I built this system in late december, so its been a little over a month. i probably only have 4-5 weeks of use on this thing =/

The computer will not POST with the other 3 slots as the primary memory slots must be filled in first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back