Motherboard won't go beyond boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I recently bought a Gigabyte GA- k8NS using a AMD 64 3000 CPU. It has 2 X 512mb DDR 333 (PC2700) memory and I'm using my old 120gb hard drive.....

...right, it turns on OK and gives no indication of problems. Then it stops at the 'there was a problem...etc' and gives you the choice of restart in safe mode, last know config, start windows normally etc. Regardless of what I click, it just reboots. If I leave it, it just carries on with that cycle and goes nowhere.

I;ve stripped it down to bare-bones and still the problem pursists...grrrrrrr !

If anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Dean

Wow, that was quick !

Thanx, i'll give that a try tomorrow.

Very much appreciate the (ultra) fast responce. I'll post here again once i've done it and let you know iether way

All the best

Dean

Hey no problem i try to reply as quick as possible!

And yea it sounds like a OS problem just do a clean format and reinstall the os and lets see where that goes. :approve:

Hi again, I decided to do it now. Right, i've formatted and reloaded the OS and yep, its working OK apart from one problem which may be down to the memory....

...in control panel its showing that i've only got 128mb of memory. Most odd as i'm using 2 X 512mb of PC2700 333 MHZ.

I'm not to bad with PC's but this really has thrown me. Would it be down to using 333mhz (which I can use on this board) or should I upgrade the memory to 400 ?

Thanx again for your prompt replies.

Dean

If you upgraded you wouldn't notice any performance improvements. Are you running onboard video or you have a video card?

Hello again, i'm using a vid card (Radeon 9200 Pro). ...

I don't know why, but it is running woefully slow and I mean slow. It took about 10 minutes for the anti-virus to start. Even typing takes time to...er...type. Its at least half a secod before the letters appear on the screen...weird

I removed a stick of memory and in control panel it still says 128mb....I should of mentioned earlier but during POST it does give the correct amount of memory.

I can only thnk that its a setting in the BIOS....i'm guessing now.

I probably won't reply tonight (UK time) 'cos i';ve had enough now and no doubt i'm going to have nightmares about this so if you come up with any ideas for a solution, i'll reply tomorrow.

Thanx again Larryiam - your a star

Dean

Just a quick update. I've just put an old vid card in (Nvidia Gforce 440 8X) and its still ridiculously slow. Also the HDD sounds like its working serious overtime if you know what I mean.

Thanx

Dean

Oh well lets see what OS did you load up on it?

Also the HDD sounds like its working serious overtime if you know what I mean.
this is why your computer is so slow.
Does it do this every time you get on your computer? Ex, when you shut it down and turn it back on.

and when i find out what os you have i can diagnose the Ram not showing up...sounds like a software conflict or something of the sort. Because if the bios is showing all the ram then thats good!

Don't worry though we will get this problem tackled!

Sincerely,
Jacob

Hi there, sorry for the delay getting back.

I'm using Windows XP Pro (corporate edition).

Just as a thought, i've had a good look round for spec and reviews and I can't help the feeling that my present RAM (PC2700 333Mhz) is wrong even though it says I can use 333. From what I can find, everything says that I should be using PC3200 (400Mhz). Like I said, it was just a thought.

Thanx again

Dean

But even if you have slower ram it would still show up. If it shows up in the bios then it works.

And ok so is your computer really slow every time you get on your it? Ex, when you shut it down and turn it back on.

Ok go to your desktop and right click on My Computer.....go down and click on properties. A window will pop up telling you what type of processor you have and the ram.......In that window how much ram does it say?

Sorry forgot to mention.....yeah its....really, really slow. No kidding its taking about 20 minutes to load the background stuff and typing takes forever.

I'm using my old system at the moment with the same drive and thats fine.

Dean

P.S. I may have to crash out soon as this has kept me awake for most of last night so i'll post any replies tomorrow. Thanx again for your time and patience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back