Mountain Lion becomes most successful OS X release to date

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s latest operating system was released to the public last Wednesday and has already set a new sales record. Cupertino published a statement today pointing out that downloads for Mountain Lion have exceeded three million in just four days, making it the most successful OS X release ever.

GigaOm highlights the fact that there were some early clues pointing to Mountain Lion’s potential success. Advertising research firm Chitika Insights released data that showed the new operating system was running on 3.2 percent of all Macs just two days after it was released.

Mountain Lion follows in the success of Lion, a product that reached a million downloads in the first day of availability around the same time last year. That release came with a price tag of $29.99 through the Mac App Store but Mountain Lion is significantly cheaper at just $19.99 for compatible systems with an existing copy of Snow Leopard or Lion.

If you aren’t already familiar, the ninth revision of OS X ships with more than 200 new features including a Notification Center, system-wide Sharing, Dictation, AirPlay Mirroring and the Messages app. iCloud integration makes it easier than ever to set up Mail, Calendar, Messages, Reminders and Contacts. The cloud storage and sync system allows you to keep documents from iWork updated across all of your devices.

Apple is also planning to integrate Facebook into Mountain Lion although that feature isn’t quite ready yet. We are told that it will be available in an upcoming software update, however.

Permalink to story.

"Mountain Lion becomes most successful OS X release to date"

You gotta love Apple's marketing. Of course it is the most successful OS X release to date, more Apple computers have been sold since the last update. It is like saying "More humans, since 1800, are breathing oxygen" Kudos to Apple though for making it cheaper.

Will Windows 8 be Window's most successful release to date, was Vista? I doubt it. But the argument you used would certainly apply to PCs too.

not exactly a massive step from lion..or leopard for that matter...but kudos to apple for selling a service pack

[FONT=Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica]SNGX1275[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica],[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica]TS Special Forces[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica], said:[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]Will Windows 8 be Window's most successful release to date, was Vista? I doubt it. But the argument you used would certainly apply to PCs too.[/FONT]
This article has nothing to do with Windows 8, Vista or any other Windows OS. Get a clue and read the article again and comment with intelligence.

I wasn't commenting on the article, I was commenting on Darkshadoe's reply which was in relation to the article. Read the comments before you comment without intelligence again.

That's interesting. Well, there is no doubt that this new OS X 10.8 (aka. Mountain Lion) looks cool, and offers so many new features. But I read in an article this weekend that this new OS has high vulnerability for Malware virus and trojans attacks; due to which many users are still feeling reluctant to upgrade to this new OS X. This made me wonder why Mac user don't think about installing a virtual desktop. Because Virus outbreaks are not a headache in hosted virtual desktops since users operate in a virtual environment which is 10 times more secured and there are no threats of any malware or virus attacks.

Here is a useful resource for Mac users, explaining what else a virtual desktop can do for Mac OS:

http://www.dincloud.com/run-virtual-desktop-on-apple-mac-os-x

^ Happen to have a link where you read that? Because 10.8 is supposed to be a lot more secure than previous versions of OS X because of Gatekeeper and sandboxing, plus automatic download and installing of security updates.

Also, running a full fledged desktop OS inside a VM on a computer as your primary platform doesn't make much sense for productivity. It takes a pretty powerful machine to run a VM'd OS really well, and even at 'really well' it still won't ever be as good as the native OS.

I wasn't commenting on the article, I was commenting on Darkshadoe's reply which was in relation to the article. Read the comments before you comment without intelligence again.

I don't see how your comment being a direct reply to Darkshadoe takes away the fact that, indeed, this is not about Windows 8.

And before you say anything, Darkshadoe was specifically pointing out Apple's "magical" marketing efforts. Hardly a comparison between how Apple and Microsoft promote their respective operating systems. Had it been a comparison, then your reply would have been fitting to the context.

It is the most success full for mac book pro leap ahead in display technology. You haven't seen this kind of leap in pixel density since the 90's. And don't even say that the human eye cannot discern the difference for that same thing was said about the human ears when it comes to higher pitch as well as some very lows but it just begs the question do we perceive with only ears and eyes or the whole human body is a perception machine for you just cannot place but most are drawn for more pixel density or higher fidelity and there has to be a perseptic difference too. It can't all be just in ones head.

I don't see how your comment being a direct reply to Darkshadoe takes away the fact that, indeed, this is not about Windows 8.

And before you say anything, Darkshadoe was specifically pointing out Apple's "magical" marketing efforts. Hardly a comparison between how Apple and Microsoft promote their respective operating systems. Had it been a comparison, then your reply would have been fitting to the context.
So now we can only comment on content 100% related to the story? Darkshadoe was intentionally making a poke at Apple saying 'of course that will happen', now when I point out something directly related, all you anti-Apple people get all uppity about it.

So now we can only comment on content 100% related to the story? Darkshadoe was intentionally making a poke at Apple saying 'of course that will happen', now when I point out something directly related, all you anti-Apple people get all uppity about it.

Last time I checked, that's how discussion works. If it's not 100% related to the topic, then it's off topic... But hey, what do I know.

The problem with your comment is that it is not directly related as you seem to think. In essence, Darkshadoe wasn't comparing how this sort of thing is not the case with Microsoft's marketing, or how it is worse (which, if it had been true, would have given purpose to your comment). All he pointed out was a common logical fallacy sugar coated with (damn good) marketing; one that can inevitably be attributed to many scenarios similar to this, not only Apple.

So just because his delivery was slightly humorous makes him anti-Apple? To me, the only thing in this article you find "directly" relevant to Windows is the fact this is about OSX Lion, Windows' main competitor, and all it took was Darkshadoe's remark to make a comparison.

And, please, enlighten us as to how did you get to the conclusion we are all anti-Apple. I'm dying to know.

Almost no discussion on this site stays 100% on topic. Again, I was simply pointing out that he used an analogy on humans using more oxygen since 1800 because there are more of us now, he was directly relating that to more ML sales because there are more Mac computers now. Well, I just used that same type of analogy to Windows operating systems, because there are more Windows capable computers out there each time a release comes out. I don't know why that is such a big problem for you.

Your complaint about me not being on topic might be something you consider a strong point, but I've moderated on here for a decade and been a member for longer. People don't stay on topic, that is the nature of discussion.

For being anti-apple. Well, people here generally are, so thats one part of how I came up with that conclusion. Another is how the reaction to my initial post prompted a personal attack when none was made on my part, that type of emotional response indicates they got upset. Your desire to white knight a guest and Darkshadoe indicates to me you were just looking for an argument, not anti-apple, but certainly you were continuing the off-topic nature you were pointing out that I shouldn't do. Then we have a history of some anti-Apple tone from Darkshadoe: 1, 2, 3, 4.

In any case, you can have the last word here. This is not worth continuing any further.

Almost no discussion on this site stays 100% on topic. Again, I was simply pointing out that he used an analogy on humans using more oxygen since 1800 because there are more of us now, he was directly relating that to more ML sales because there are more Mac computers now. Well, I just used that same type of analogy to Windows operating systems, because there are more Windows capable computers out there each time a release comes out. I don't know why that is such a big problem for you.

Your complaint about me not being on topic might be something you consider a strong point, but I've moderated on here for a decade and been a member for longer. People don't stay on topic, that is the nature of discussion.

For being anti-apple. Well, people here generally are, so thats one part of how I came up with that conclusion. Another is how the reaction to my initial post prompted a personal attack when none was made on my part, that type of emotional response indicates they got upset. Your desire to white knight a guest and Darkshadoe indicates to me you were just looking for an argument, not anti-apple, but certainly you were continuing the off-topic nature you were pointing out that I shouldn't do. Then we have a history of some anti-Apple tone from Darkshadoe: 1, 2, 3, 4.

In any case, you can have the last word here. This is not worth continuing any further.

How come you're acussing me of being off topic, if this very discussion was started by you being off topic? Did you read that when you wrote that? Though ironic, I know, we've obviously gone off topic, but only as a direct result of your unnecessary comparison. One that would have resulted in a small flame war. Not saying that was your intention, but that that was my intention of getting in the middle of this.

I'm also not defending the Guest's personal attacks, I have nothing against you. All I am saying is your comparison was made simply because it was Apple being poked, and thus (of course) a Windows comparison had to be made, which would have led to an argument about something else entirely (e.g. "Well at least Microsoft doesn't do XYZ", etc.).

Who cares if you've moderated or been here longer? Incorrect behavior does not define intended nature of things. Just because some are off topic often doesn't make it an intrinsic part of discussion. That's not how it "works."

And I'm white knighting just because I disagree with you? Well isn't that convenient! I hope me having the "last word" makes you feel more important.

A Well, I just used that same type of analogy to Windows operating systems, because there are more Windows capable computers out there each time a release comes out. I don't know why that is such a big problem for you.

If you wanted to put forth an analogy which is actually relevant, I.e. relating to an OS that has actually been released, then Windows 7 would be appropriate. Which IIRC is the best selling Windows product of all time.

And that would have been a fair statement to make. There were more Windows computers in existence when Windows 7 was released, so it makes sense it would be the best selling OS.

But no, you wanted to say something negative about MS, which is why you went after Windows 8, which is perceived as being a failure compared to Windows 7. Because you wanted to point out that Microsoft is going to have a failure on their hands...in a discussion about an Apple OS.

So you sounded like a butt-hurt fanboy whose only recourse is to lash out at someone for making fun of your beloved Apple, by saying something negative about MS. Your assumption being that if someone is making fun of Apple, they must be a Windows user, and you assume that Windows users have the same low self esteem issues that Mac users do when they act all butt-hurt when someone makes fun of Apple.

So yeah, you were OT, you were trying to turn this into a discussion about why Windows 8 sucks to deflect the criticism of Apple.

As to why only you can answer, but based on my own experiences of arguing with Apple users over the better part of the past decade, they seem to be very heavily emotionally vested into owning Apple products, and actually get upset when people make fun of them. So instead of getting all pissed off at us, perhaps its time to take a look at yourself, and try to figure out why you get so upset when people make fun of Apple, cause its probably not healthy.

And the reason I'm saying this is because like another editor on this site, who also favors the team your playing on, you seem to be jumping up in Apple's defense every time someone says something negative, and then using your status on this site to bolster your credibility. That person stopped doing that, but now it seems you've taken up the mantle. This is a site composed of primarily Windows users, and yes, we will make fun of Apple from time to time. So if it really grates on you to see these constant jokes and comments, perhaps a place filled with more like minded people will make you feel more comfortable.

Back