Apple revamps MacBook Air, adds new 11.6" model

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Apple has revamped its MacBook Air, making it quicker, smaller, and more power efficient. The Air series completely drops mechanical hard drives, shipping with only flash storage. Thanks to decisions like that, the new machines weigh as little as 2.3 or 2.9lbs depending on the size and measure 0.11-0.68 inches between the thinnest and thickest points. That compares to its predecessor's 0.16-0.76-inch, 3lb body.

Systems are available in 11.6 and 13.3-inch models with two set configurations for each. Starting at $999, the 11-inch features a 1366x768 screen, a 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce 320M graphics, and 64GB of storage. For another $200 you can get the 11-incher equipped with a 128GB flash drive, while 4GB of RAM and a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo are upgradeable for $100 each.

Meanwhile, the 13-inch Air costs between $1,299 and $1,599, packing a 1440x900 resolution display, a 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM (optional 4GB), and a GeForce 320M. The price difference again boils down to storage. The cheaper option has a 128GB SSD, while the more expensive iteration doubles that to 256GB. The pricier MacBook Air also has the option to upgrade to a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo for $100.

All versions of the latest MacBook Air come with a glass multi-touch trackpad, a webcam, one Mini DisplayPort, two USB 2.0 ports, as well as 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR connectivity. An SD card slot is exclusive to the 13-incher. Battery life is quoted at five hours for the 11-inch model and seven hours for the 13-inch, while both are rated for up to 30 days of standby time. Units are available now via Apple's web store.

Permalink to story.

I'm sorry, I was reading the article and even though I couldn't find it in the features described, but, which of these machines is the one that can cook me breakfast in the morning?

Oh, what? I assume that if I'm going to pay $1,599 bucks for a 13-inch netbook, there has go to be at the very least some sexual favor involved. Yes, you read sexual.

I really hope someone makes a laptop similar to this for half the price (and with windows). While I hate apple, I gotta admit the form factor would be excelent for a college student like myslef.

cardriverx said:
I really hope someone makes a laptop similar to this for half the price (and with windows). While I hate apple, I gotta admit the form factor would be excelent for a college student like myslef.

Doubt it. I've seen it stutter doing simple word processing.

Photos from front on the apple site is misleading. Taking into account the shadow and that the keyboard's surface goes by angle, we should see keys.... The cake is a LIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its basically a glorified netbook. Its not supposed to run Crysis people.

It looks really nice and I like that they cut boot time to less than 15 seconds according to Forbes, that's a heck a lot faster than my PITA Vista laptop thank you very much. I'd be interested except it has no CD/DVD-drive and I haven't gotten to the point where I can live without one.

Guest said:

It IS a netbook. It practically has the same specs as the one my daughter has and hers runs Windows XP and cost around $300.

Exactly what makes this model so special that Steve Jobs thinks he can get $1000 for it? You are looking at maybe $350-500 in parts w/ the OS.

Most useless product ever.

Darkshadoe said:
Guest said:

It IS a netbook. It practically has the same specs as the one my daughter has and hers runs Windows XP and cost around $300.

Exactly what makes this model so special that Steve Jobs thinks he can get $1000 for it? You are looking at maybe $350-500 in parts w/ the OS.

QFT

zilliak said:
These are so sexy but performance to price its....lets just say "Crysis" is exactly what this is

Hmm, I don't know, I think these will never have a "Crysis"!

Zing!

It's interesting that both the 11 and 13 inch models have higher resolution LCD's than the regular 13 inch macbooks/macbook pro's. I don't see the logic in putting a nicer screen in your ultra-portable line of computers, unless they are planning on updating their other laptops soon. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 320m is the g216 core, which probably performs around the level of the grpahics chip in the ION 2 platform, which is based of the g218. Not very impressive for 1000 dollars or more. It's still pretty darn nice looking though...

Darkshadoe said:

Not only does NO netbook have a Geforce 320, but no netbook has an Intel Core 2 Duo. It's also thinner and sturdier than any other netbook.

So much biased hatred...

These new Mac Book Air offerings most likely follow Apple tradition and carry excellent IPS displays! That, plus a likely 40% profit margin, explains the price, although I wouldn't go so far as to say it justifies it.

Do students still use Windows? That is so like what grandfather used!
You're just sooooo hip. You're just sooo 2010. Text yourself about it.

The sad part is that some person, somewhere, will actually pay Apple their asking price.
You're right, I think fwilliams would.

It looks really nice and I like that they cut boot time to less than 15 seconds according to Forbes, that's a heck a lot faster than my PITA Vista laptop thank you very much. I'd be interested except it has no CD/DVD-drive and I haven't gotten to the point where I can live without one.
And if you stuffed a SSD in your laptop, it would probably boot in 15 seconds too! Well, maybe not Vista, but Windows 7 might.

Buying a few flash drives would ease your withdrawal from optical media.

We dont need your opinion to all people who say bad things about the new macbook air. this is a magnificient laptop or a netbook to say at least. stop comparing it to windows machines damn it. if you hate apple brand then just shut up. stop whining about it folks. just complain why you dont have the money to buy it.

arhhh people who really have interest in technology should appreciate these not stamped on it just because its an apple brand or due to steve jobs. I hate people who always complain without looking at the big picture first.

sorry for my english.

Well OK, I can categorically state that I don't want one. That isn't a qualitative assessment, I simply don't want one.

I think that it's wonderful that you're claiming you can afford one. Is that the point you're trying to make?

The rest of your blather and bluster rant, is just the same old Aphole groupie BS. Apple is just so technologically advanced we don't understand it...blah, blah ad nauseum.... The white cases make them work better. The iPad is the tablet more *****s prefer, since you can't hold it upside down, no matter how long you persist in trying to.

And yes, in spite of the fact that Steve Jobs speaks personally to each and every member of the "Apple Corps", from inside a burning bush, I still don't want one. :rolleyes:

It's interesting that both the 11 and 13 inch models have higher resolution LCD's than the regular 13 inch macbooks/macbook pro's. I don't see the logic in putting a nicer screen in your ultra-portable line of computers, unless they are planning on updating their other laptops soon.

That is about the only thing that bothers me about this release. I have a MBP 13.3 and its resolution is crap. Many years ago I bought the 15" Powerbook 1.67Ghz G4 with the hi-res display, its display was higher resolution than any 15" MBP you can get now. I don't understand how Apple, who makes those really nice cinema displays, can provide such crap resolution in their notebook computers. The display on the Pro lines still look pretty good (colors, viewing angles), but the resolution is pathetic.

That is about the only thing that bothers me about this release. I have a MBP 13.3 and its resolution is crap.
Yeah really, when you consider the resolution on the iPhone is now 300 dpi

I'm wondering if the power consumption might go up, as the pixel count in the screen increases. (same transistors, more of 'em). (Of course most of the power is drawn by the backlight, I suppose that might shoot that theory down).

Here I'm going to lead the charge to defend Apple in this regard. My 300 dollar notebook is only 1280 X 800, and it's on of them thar crappy TN panels.

That said, what did I expect for 300 bucks.

@captaincranky,

what if it doesnt have an apple logo and runs windows 7 but still priced at $999. Will you say BS things about this laptop? enough of the apple and windows fanboyism BS youre saying. Be a grown up, appreciate things and good things will come to you my friend.

- windows user for 15years

PS: damn i saw the hands-on by laptopmag at youtube. this notebook is a beauty.

Not only does NO netbook have a Geforce 320, but no netbook has an Intel Core 2 Duo. It's also thinner and sturdier than any other netbook.

So much biased hatred...

Okay, I'll make the hatred easier for you to deal with, I'll take a netbook(choose your brand)which belongs to me with same specs as the macbook air, which belongs to you and I'll stand on them both. At least I still have money to blow at the bar tonight.

That is about the only thing that bothers me about this release. I have a MBP 13.3 and its resolution is crap. Many years ago I bought the 15" Powerbook 1.67Ghz G4 with the hi-res display, its display was higher resolution than any 15" MBP you can get now. I don't understand how Apple, who makes those really nice cinema displays, can provide such crap resolution in their notebook computers. The display on the Pro lines still look pretty good (colors, viewing angles), but the resolution is pathetic.

That's because other than the people that buy apple for production reasons the rest might as well be considered the lost cause. I have a few apple fanboy friends and I love when they get a new product and read off the cool specs bro. That's when I proceed to my box of oldies but goodies. They look in and see nothing but old pc parts. So I walk away and they're confused. THE END.

^ another tech guy who cant appreciate technology saying BS and starting windows vs osx, macs vs pc war.

you cant even design a chip or a motherboard to justify your statements, yeah its pricey but macs are sold as a system not an individual parts that you can buy at your local store and then build it yourself putting windows into it. apple is an exclusive store and seller. asus, msi, gigabyte wont build apple's motherboard for the masses that is why its pricey. sometimes take yourself to break.

its funny everytime i read in the morning and go to this website, it is always you guys commenting BS at every articles. be positive dude.

SNGX1275 said:
It's interesting that both the 11 and 13 inch models have higher resolution LCD's than the regular 13 inch macbooks/macbook pro's. I don't see the logic in putting a nicer screen in your ultra-portable line of computers, unless they are planning on updating their other laptops soon.

It is pretty rampant regardless of the maker. 6 years ago I got my Thinkpad with a 15", 1600x1200 screen. A few years after that, you have the Dell e6500 that has an option for a 15.4", 1920x1200 screen. Now I understand both systems are business platforms where screen real estate is important, but I am tired of seeing 15" screens only 1280x800/1440x900, "high end 15.4" " and 17" screens at 1680x1050 (16" often at 1600x900)... I prefer the 15/15.4 size, but it is almost impossible to find a decently spec'd laptop that has both the internals and the pixel density I want.

@fwilliams: I'm not sure if that was a joke or not, but engineering/science heavy universities still rely heavily on software that is Windows based, so yes, students these days still use windows. Even Comm students at my old Alma Mater are not required to use Macs and a considerable number don't, though the iPhone has driven a number to get a Mac so they can "match". I'm not even gonna get into gaming (since the world does not necessarily revolve around Blizzard and Steam/Valve) lol.

Back